spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Krayfish

@direcway.com

Questions about speeds during day and night

Im and probably switching to excede from hughesnet soon. Hughes net is decent for downloading during the day but around 6 or so at night it gets real slow. Im just curious how much slower excede gets during peak hours or if it does? Also a quick question on the upload. I see excede offers alot better "up to" upload than the old hughes basic plan and even more than the gen4? Has anyone used the old hughesnet plan and have some sort of comparison between excede?

DrStrangLov

join:2012-03-28

Exede's download speeds will depend upon which beam one is on, and if on Exede 5 mbps plans or Exede 12 mbps plans.

Imho, as more users come onboard, I would not expect more than several mbps during primetime on Exede 12 plans.

I'm on Exede 5, and upload is slow during afternoon thru primetime; I suspect there is a technical glitch, and with time this will be taken care of. On Exede 5, and at least on my beam, WB-1: 163, they allow full speed (18 mbps download) when beam is not loaded. As they say, YMMV.

During primetimes, it would not surprise me if upload goes from 500kbps and upwards on Exede 12.

Final Note - When users (cable, FIOS, satellite, etc) have higher speed bandwidth, there will be sites that can handle it, and other sites that don't have the pipe during primetime. And yes, Youtube does choke, from time to time, during primetime.

Also, knowing your Zip Code, I might be able to add some more comments.

OldSatUser

join:2012-05-10
Fresno, OH
reply to Krayfish

I was prevoiusly both a Hughesnet and Wildblue user. Wildblue was faster than Hughesnet, but then that was compared to the old 4000 systems. I can't say how the old Wildblue compared to the 7000 and 9000 Hughesnet systems.

So far speeds have been pretty consistent as advertised for Exede. While I don't run speed tests during prime hours anymore (that is 20MB of data I don't want against my cap...and it takes a 20MB file to be an accurate test), I have seen good speeds at night. Can't really tell a difference between night and day.

Now granted, the satellite is far from capacity at this time. So only time will tell what will happen as more users join, but for now, I think you would be pleased with Exede.

Krayfish

@direcway.com

I live in northern Wisconsin its in zone 5. Im pretty sure the flyer was for excede 12.

Krayfish

@direcway.com
reply to Krayfish

Northern wisconsin zone 5. The flyer was for excede 12 I think.

wm4bama

join:2012-05-10
Goodwater, AL

Go here and enter your zip code...you'll see if you have an Exede5 or Exede12 beam...

»www.wildblue.com/
--
Exede12, ViaSat-1, beam 342, Albuquerque Gateway, Denver AcceleNet servers

DrStrangLov

join:2012-03-28
reply to Krayfish

See this map: »[Exede] ViaSat-1 + Augmented beams/gateways

Which beam might one be on?

Krayfish

@direcway.com

Yes its excede 12 B304