spc
Search similar:

uniqs
TherapyChick
join:2003-09-19
Fayetteville, NC

TherapyChick

Stove surface unit light won't go off

Stove works great, just finished supper tonight, turned off all the surface units, and then noticed that the "surface units" light is still on.

I made sure they were all "OFF", even turned them around once and made sure they clicked in the off position. I then pulled the knobs off to make sure they were really in the off position, still the light is on.

Then I turned off the oven breaker, (to try to reset it or something), but when I turned it back on the light comes back on.

None of the surface units are warm at all, so it's not really on.

Any suggestions?

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k

Premium Member

Make/model of the stove? Off hand it sounds like the controller board.

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium Member
join:2001-02-13
Bulger, PA

tp0d to TherapyChick

Premium Member

to TherapyChick
sounds like one of your control knobs are failing and leaking a small amount of current to ground/etc which can activate the light. if you think you can take apart and put back together the stove controls (where the knobs are), and have a multimeter, you could diagnose which knob is the issue. otherwise i would shut off the breaker when the stove is not needed and call a repair guy, as that could possibly be a fire hazard

good luck

-j
iknow
Premium Member
join:2012-03-25

iknow to TherapyChick

Premium Member

to TherapyChick
new oven? the new one's use thermistors to check the actual temperatures, sometimes it can take until the surface units are room temperature to turn the lights off. the days of the switches controlling the lights are gone.

Bornloser
join:2002-09-04
Alliance, OH

Bornloser to TherapyChick

to TherapyChick
Just replace the appropriate switch! It has a stuck contact.

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

cowboyro to TherapyChick

Premium Member

to TherapyChick
Is it a temperature indicator light (on while still hot, even if off) or just shows that a burner is on?
TherapyChick
Fayetteville, NC

TherapyChick

It's a Kenmore, about 12 years old.

It's not a temperature sensor light, it's a light that only comes on (up until now) when a surface burner is on.

Bornloser
join:2002-09-04
Alliance, OH

Bornloser to TherapyChick

to TherapyChick
Just replace the appropriate switch!!!
TherapyChick
Fayetteville, NC

TherapyChick

said by Bornloser:

Just replace the appropriate switch!!!

When you say "switch", are you talking about the knob that turns the burners on, or something else?
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4

said by TherapyChick:

When you say "switch", are you talking about the knob that turns the burners on, or something else?

Not the knob itself, but the mechanism behind the knob.

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties to TherapyChick

Premium Member

to TherapyChick
"It's a Kenmore, about 12 years old."

Model number please! Open up the warming drawer/lower drawr if there is one and on the left side is the model # (some ###.########).

E.G. I have a 10year old Kenmore (gas) that I just ordered parts for so I know that repair is possible. Mine is a 362.7######(# are numbers) I don't remember the number by heart...

If you have the model number, someone here might know specifics as to what is wrong and what you can do to correct the burner light issue. I got the parts here:
»www.repairclinic.com/
And there are videos on Youtube for some repairs (AYOR).