uniqs
share rss forum feed

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

[MLB] Strasburg has only 2 starts left for Nationals

Wouldn't it be ironic if Washington pulls Strasburg from the lineup after his Sept 12 game and the Braves take the division in the last 3 weeks of the season?

And how messed up will Washington look if they quickly die in the post season.

»www.washingtonpost.com/sports/na···ory.html
--
»www.mittromney.com/s/repeal-and-···bamacare
»www.mittromney.com/issues/health-care

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14
It looked like that might be a problem a couple weeks ago, when the Braves had cut the Nationals lead to 3 games. But now the lead is back up to 6-1/2 again, the Nationals are 29 games over .500, and the people upset over Strasburg being shut down aren't Nationals fans for the most part.

The team cares more about protecting his health for the future than "win now". They've got a good young roster, it's reasonable to think they'll contend again next year, and that's the kind of team attitude and roster that free agents will love in the offseason. The GM isn't going to change his mind about limiting Strasburg's innings after the surgery he had.
--
my pants are parched and thirsty

AB
Premium
join:2006-04-04
Leesburg, VA
kudos:3
reply to FFH
said by FFH:

Wouldn't it be ironic if Washington pulls Strasburg from the lineup after his Sept 12 game and the Braves take the division in the last 3 weeks of the season?

And how messed up will Washington look if they quickly die in the post season.

Ridiculous nonsense. Now, the Nats may in fact quickly die in the postseason. Lose one series, you're out. That's the way it works. So being 'the best team' is never any guarantee of postseason success.

No way does losing Strasburg have all that much effect on their winning the division, though. He pitches only once every five games. The guy they'll replace him with, John Lannan, has been their #1 starter before. Lannan was also called up for one start earlier, where he shut down the Braves at a time when the Nats were in pretty dire need of a win-- so he's hardly just some bozo they're going to stick out there on the mound.
In the postseason, the Nats will likely go with a 3 or 4 man rotation anyway.

Nor is this some 'unexpected blow' to the team, like an injury. Everybody's known all year Strasburg had an innings limit, and that his chances of pitching in the postseason-- or late in the regular season-- were slim to none to begin with. It's been no secret.

The Nationals are a fine team this year, and the operative word there is "team". They are much more than any one player.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1
reply to FFH
I would shut him down for the rest of the season and use him in the postseason

AB
Premium
Leesburg, VA
reply to FFH

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ
reply to FFH
Can't wait to see how this plays out. I'll defiantly be talking about this on my radio show today.

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
fishing
There are 2 parts to how this plays out: how it works for the Nationals this year, and how it works in the long run for both the Nationals and Strasburg.
--

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ
In the long run this is the right decision. No doubt. Sort term, I would have pushed a few of his starts vs. sub .500 clubs back.

footballdude
Premium
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO

1 recommendation

reply to FFH
Pitchers are different than they used to be. Everyone is coached to pitch a certain way and anyone that doesn't fit the mold doesn't move forward. Gone are the days that pitchers went nine innings regardless of pitch count.

I saw an interview with Bob Gibson and he claimed that if he was a young guy trying to make it today he wouldn't be allowed to pitch. His pitching style doesn't fit the mold and very few coaches would give him a chance, even though he could throw two hundred pitches a day without issue.

Nolan Ryan was the same way and is trying to change the Rangers organization to get away from pitch counts, but some of his young guys got hurt when he started that, so it may no longer be possible.
--
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty - Ronald Reagan

AB
Premium
Leesburg, VA
Maybe pitchers are different, maybe everything's different. Gibson didn't have ligament replacement surgery on his throwing arm at a young age, though.
I have a feeling a guy like Bob Gibson even today would somehow find his way into the rotation. Virtually unhittable pitchers do tend to get noticed.

The Nats are trying to do what's best for their team and their player over the long haul rather than the course of one season-- a refreshingly unique attitude amongst professional sports franchises.
It's the uniqueness of this attitude that's what really has the panties of the detractors bunched up.

footballdude
Premium
Imperial, MO
said by AB:

The Nats are trying to do what's best for their team and their player over the long haul rather than the course of one season

When he signs a free agent contract with the Yankees in a couple of years, they may want to rethink that strategy.
--

AB
Premium
Leesburg, VA
said by footballdude:

said by AB:

The Nats are trying to do what's best for their team and their player over the long haul rather than the course of one season

When he signs a free agent contract with the Yankees in a couple of years, they may want to rethink that strategy.

If the Nats paid for the surgery, they can then sue to force the surgeon to put the ligament back where he got it.

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
fishing
reply to footballdude
said by footballdude:

said by AB:

No they won't. "Let's screw up this guy's health because he might go to another team someday" really isn't an adult strategy.
--

footballdude
Premium
Imperial, MO

1 recommendation

said by fatness:

said by footballdude:

said by AB:

No they won't. "Let's screw up this guy's health because he might go to another team someday" really isn't an adult strategy.

Letting him pitch like normal isn't the same thing as screwing up his health. And what's the point of keeping him healthy if he isn't playing for you in the future? If the guy had a medical issue then it would make sense to shut him down. But if he appears to be OK and you're about to make the playoffs, shutting him down is nuts.
--

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
fishing
The greatest number of innings he's pitched in a year prior to this one is 125. This year he pitched 160 or 170 I think. He's already pushed past previous limits, and after serious surgery. It's not like he's been used to throwing 240 innings/year.

The Nationals record in games he doesn't pitch is about 25 games over .500. Their starters had 4 of the top 12 ERA's in the league last I looked. The guy replacing Strasburg was their opening day starter last year and is pitching well (3-0 I believe).

Not that any of that will change your mind, but it's information many people may not be aware of.
--

footballdude
Premium
Imperial, MO
I guess this is just a logical extension of the 100 pitch rule, where they pull a guy at 100 pitches even if he's throwing well. I always thought that was bogus and this situation has a similar smell.
--

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to FFH
I had the good fortune of watching him pitch here in Syracuse a couple of times when he was rehabbing. The first time he was throwing at about 75% and he was overpowering. The last time was his last start before he went up and - wow - what a talent. He's a very smart pitcher which will keep him as a top pitcher for many years to come.

footballdude
Premium
Imperial, MO
reply to FFH
Nats on the verge of elimination. They have their #5 starter going against the Cards #1 today. Think anyone would rather have Strasburg in the lineup?
--

Silvanos
It's a new Silvanos experience
Premium
join:2002-10-07
Tonawanda, NY
reply to FFH
This is stupid, they could have won it all this year! Now they are going to get eliminated and nobody knows what the future holds...
--
Any it new they in one. You here for mine you here.
-JV

AB
Premium
Leesburg, VA
reply to footballdude
said by footballdude:

Think anyone would rather have Strasburg in the lineup?

He's not on the roster, so they can't even use him as pinch hitter.

said by Silvanos:

Now they are going to get eliminated and nobody knows what the future holds...

You should know what it holds, shouldn't you? After all, you already know they're going to be eliminated, when all it takes to advance is two straight wins at home-- hardly some huge mountain to climb.

footballdude
Premium
Imperial, MO
said by AB:

all it takes to advance is two straight wins at home-- hardly some huge mountain to climb.

It looks bad for the Nats, but if they survive today and force game 5 I think they totally flip the series in their favor. Today is the best chance for the Cards to close them out.

Of course, the Cards thrived on last second saves last year, so who knows what a game five would bring?
--

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ
reply to FFH
Walk off HR!!

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
fishing
reply to FFH
Tied 2 games to 2, with their ace Gio Gonzales going in the next game. If the Nationals lose that game 700-0 this season's still been a huge success for them.
--

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ
Great story regardless like u mentioned
--
Romney - Ryan 2012

footballdude
Premium
Imperial, MO
reply to footballdude
said by footballdude:

Of course, the Cards thrived on last second saves last year, so who knows what a game five would bring?

HOLY SHIT!!
--