All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

yyzlhr
@rogers.com

yyzlhr to Viper359

Anon

to Viper359

Re: Rogers Smart Home Monitoring: Who's Watching The Fox?

said by Viper359:

A background check at Rogers will be the same as any other company. Telephone references, previous employers etc.

It can get a little more deeper, but, you get the point. No one at Rogers is undergoing some deep background check. I don't care what some guy on the telephone from HR told you.

I don't know what you consider deep, but frontline employees that have been hired within the past year and half go through much more screening then telephone references from past employers. For retail, potential candidates now must visit a post office and present identification and have their ID verify and sign a consent form allowing Rogers to conduct a criminal background check. Once this is completed, the information is forwarded to a company called BackCheck which conducts a criminal background check. BackCheck will then tell Rogers whether the candidate has a clean record or not. If the record is not clean, the hiring manager will not know what the offence is but will not be able to move on with the hiring process.

This process is mandatory for all new hires, and HR will not generate employee numbers if the process is not followed. Obviously there is no legislation that outright states that it is a legal requirement for frontline telco employees to go through a background check. Whether it is required by law, most of us are not qualified to answer that question. This process was not mandatory in the past, but was suddenly required by Rogers corporate HR when Ontario introduced legislation to ensure the service sector was more accessible to those with disabilities. I doubt the legislation states that all frontline employees must pass a criminal background check but i'm sure there is other wording that would imply something similar.
Viper359
Premium Member
join:2006-09-17
Scarborough, ON

Viper359

Premium Member

Having just finished training my last class with the new Ontario legislation that went into law dealing with the Ontario Accessibility Act, in retail and hotels, (As I am sure everyone out there had to) there is NO law on the books that requires a background check that I can find anywhere. Just mandatory training and clearly making sure its accessible and you bend over backwards.

BackCheck, ahhh. The one that has on a few times reported people not eligible for hire due to a criminal background they actually didn't have. Tried to find the links.
Again, a CPIC check is not some uber super computer. Its a DOS looking text format thing that goes ***bing*** on a hit. Its older than I am I think. Think telephone book entry with a list of what you have been convicted of. There are also many levels to CPIC, and the most detailed, only members of a police service can access. The star has a great article describing CPIC. »www.thestar.com/specials ··· ic-works
Don't fool yourself. Its a basic name check. If the person has lied about their information, even in the smallest way, the results of the check would be skewed. Only a certified check can confirm, and that involves fingerprints via AFIS through one of a few companies out there.

Even how they do these checks in this company has raised the eyes of some from my understanding. This company doesn't have any formal access to CPIC, as I understand it, but that's a whole other topic.

Honestly, I can understand why Rogers might want their retail people to have a police clearance check, which is all that is being done, due to the high internal theft going on. Telephone operators do not. However, if Rogers wants to pay to screen all employee's like this, go nuts.

A somewhat deep background check to me is running my fingerprints through both AFIS in Canada and IAFIS in the US, accessing local police and provincial contact databases for every place I have lived for the last 10 years, CPIC check, credit checks, MTO pull, and a few other ones.

Please note, I was WRONG on the credit record, I had attributed to something else in my brain. An employer can demand one for pre employment, but after your hired, its apparently debateable. ---How is beyond me, if you said OK, I didn't think you could take it back.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

said by Viper359:

Honestly, I can understand why Rogers might want their retail people to have a police clearance check, which is all that is being done, due to the high internal theft going on. Telephone operators do not. However, if Rogers wants to pay to screen all employee's like this, go nuts.

A somewhat deep background check to me is running my fingerprints through both AFIS in Canada and IAFIS in the US, accessing local police and provincial contact databases for every place I have lived for the last 10 years, CPIC check, credit checks, MTO pull, and a few other ones.

Please note, I was WRONG on the credit record, I had attributed to something else in my brain. An employer can demand one for pre employment, but after your hired, its apparently debateable.

Obviously Rogers isn't taking fingerprints and running them through various police databases. It seemed like some feel like Rogers will hire someone straight out of prison without checking My point is that Rogers does more thorough screening then simple telephone references that are often fake anyways. The process extends to call centre reps as well as they have access to much more personal information then retail reps and most internal fraud is usually done in cahoots with those at the call centre.