spc
uniqs

disconnected
@snet.net

disconnected to SYNACK

Anon

to SYNACK

Re: [RANT] Commercial Electric 4 in. Brushed Nickel Recessed LED

In my book, if a gun explodes in your face and kills you, it's not a reliable gun. It's the same thing with a lamp in a mission critical application. Even one failure is a disaster.
Silicon sealer is to keep the water spray from a garden hose from getting into the fixture. It does not affect air flow, because it is already inside a closed soffet. And the lights are only used for a few minutes while guests are entering/leaving, then turned off. They don't have time to get warm. If they can't withstand summer temps, how to LEDs work in Texas or Arizona, where it's 120 degrees in the shade?

SYNACK
Just Firewall It
Mod
join:2001-03-05
Venice, CA

SYNACK

Mod

said by disconnected :

It's the same thing with a lamp in a mission critical application. Even one failure is a disaster.

Expecting near 100% is simply not reasonable. It cannot be done at the price you paid for it. It is not fair to base a review on insufficient data and unrealistic expectations.

Obviously if you need mission critical performance, you need to buy from a source that does very extensive testing on each unit at all stages of assembly. Prepare to pay $500 for each.
Or you could buy 3x more lamps and do fatigue testing on the bench for a few weeks before installation.

I don't understand the gun analogy. Makes no sense in this context.

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

cowboyro to disconnected

Premium Member

to disconnected
said by disconnected :

It's the same thing with a lamp in a mission critical application.

Mission critical light applications use long-life (15,000hrs) incandescent bulbs and have redundancy.

disconnected
@snet.net

disconnected to SYNACK

Anon

to SYNACK
I'm not expecting 100%, but I AM expecting better than 75%, which is what I got. 1 in 4 lamps failed here. If I had 100 lamps and one failed, maybe not so bad, but 1 in 4 is a poor performance. I paid nearly $80 each at the time I bought them, which is a lot of money for a lamp like this. At that price, I expect reliability. Their performance is what I'd expect from a $10 lamp of this sort.
The gun analogy points out that some things can be made reasonably priced and are 100% reliable.

SYNACK
Just Firewall It
Mod
join:2001-03-05
Venice, CA

SYNACK

Mod

You got 75%. A sampling of four is statistically not sufficient to conclude that 75% are bad in general. I also assume that you inspected the lamp after it "failed" to exclude problems in wiring and in the socket.

I am not aware of any gun that is 100% reliable. Can you point me to a source that shows relevant data to confirm your statement? (Then multiply that with the mental stability of the gun owner and you get something that's even further from 100% )

disconnected
@snet.net

disconnected

Anon

The box that the lamp comes in proudly states "25 year lifespan". To me, that means it should last 25 years, not 2 hours.

I shoot lots of types of firearms and, other than some dud ammo, I've never had a gun malfunction totally. After hundreds of thousands of rounds, never had a gun explode in my face. If guns were as unreliable as these lights, I would not be here today.

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

1 recommendation

cowboyro

Premium Member

said by disconnected :

The box that the lamp comes in proudly states "25 year lifespan". To me, that means it should last 25 years, not 2 hours.

Yes, if you buy 1million such lights you will see that they average 25yrs life. Some will die after 1hr, some after 1 day, some after 1 yr and some may last 100yrs.
It's not a guaranteed life, it's an AVERAGE life.

disconnected
@snet.net

disconnected

Anon

If I put on my engineering hat, yes, I agree, that's largely how MTBF is calculated--an average. But the lawyer side of me says a product ought to perform up to the advertised claims.