join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Shaw
·TELUS

[News] Microsoft censoring negative talk about Windows 8

Out of the blue, a number of reputable online publications, including BetaNews, Hardware Canucks, PowerArchiver, NGOHQ, and Technize (among many others), received DMCA takedown orders from Google that claim on Microsoft’s behalf that the sites were infringing on various Microsoft copyrights.

There was something odd about the takedown orders, however. The URLs in questions contained things like screenshot galleries and news posts that simply linked to the trial editions and release previews of Windows 8. Many of the sites also hosted user-generated comments though, many of which were quite negative in regards to Windows 8, which sparked some heated discussion that this was a strategic move by Microsoft to get negative sentiments delisted by Google prior to Windows 8’s launch

When asked for comment, Mark Lamb, senior PR manager for Microsoft, responded:

"Microsoft is committed to ensuring that copyright is respected online. To protect our intellectual property, Microsoft's anti-piracy programs target links to infringing copies of our software; we do not target commentary. We take reports of inaccurate DMCA notices seriously, and will investigate disputed notices upon receipt. If the sites do not contain links to infringing copies of our software, we will contact Google about reinstating the search results."

Compounding the problem, publications are assumed guilty until proven innocent in these situations.

»www.networkworld.com/community/node/81316

Related:

Microsoft removes Windows 8 grace period, inconveniences everybody
»www.networkworld.com/community/b···verybody

Windows 8 is a 'catastrophe,' says Valve founder and former Microsoft employee Gabe Newell
»www.networkworld.com/community/b···e-newell

MSeng
Premium,Ex-Mod 2001-08
join:2000-07-13
Ork
kudos:6

If you are going to quote a blog post, then don't cherry pick. You should also give credit to the blogger:

By Marco Chiappetta on Fri, 08/31/12 - 10:59am.

For those who don't want to click the links and read it, here is the very first statement made:

"In the last few days, a multitude of online publications have been handed DMCA takedown notices for seemingly innocuous posts, triggering speculation that Microsoft is trying to censor negative comments prior to Windows 8's official launch."

I highlighted the key word in his opening sentence. Now, let's look at the definition of that word. From Dictionary.com:
-------------------------------------------------------
Speculation

spec·u·la·tion [spek-yuh-ley-shuhn] noun
1. the contemplation or consideration of some subject: to engage in speculation on humanity's ultimate destiny.

2. a single instance or process of consideration.

3. a conclusion or opinion reached by such contemplation: These speculations are impossible to verify.

4. conjectural consideration of a matter; conjecture or surmise: a report based on speculation rather than facts.

5. engagement in business transactions involving considerable risk but offering the chance of large gains, especially trading in commodities, stocks, etc., in the hope of profit from changes in the market price.
One can also go to the Merriam Webster dictionary to look up the word speculate but the salient point is this...as of yet, there is no factual evidence to support his theory.

How is another blog post about removing an activation grace period related? Microsoft is within their right to change their activation settings at any time. It is also well to point out (as the blogger did in his article) that Microsoft offers an evaluation copy.

Your second "related" article has been discussed in this forum in the past too. Besides the locked post of yours it was discussed in »Valve exec calls Windows 8 a disaster
--
A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to Cartel

said by Cartel:

a number of reputable online publications, including BetaNews, Hardware Canucks, PowerArchiver, NGOHQ, and Technize

Weird, I have never heard of any of these. However, there is plenty of negative talk about windows 8 in real reputable online publications
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to Cartel

said by Cartel:

Related:

Microsoft removes Windows 8 grace period, inconveniences everybody
»www.networkworld.com/community/b···verybody

From the article:
quote:
On the flipside, Microsoft has released a trial version of Windows 8 Enterprise, which will work for 90 days and likely appease many users who need to experiment with the OS.
--
♬ Music is life ♬

Cartel
Premium
Chilliwack, BC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Shaw
·TELUS

1 edit
reply to MSeng

said by MSeng:

If you are going to quote a blog post, then don't cherry pick. You should also give credit to the blogger:

By Marco Chiappetta on Fri, 08/31/12 - 10:59am.

For those who don't want to click the links and read it, here is the very first statement made:

"In the last few days, a multitude of online publications have been handed DMCA takedown notices for seemingly innocuous posts, triggering speculation that Microsoft is trying to censor negative comments prior to Windows 8's official launch."

I highlighted the key word in his opening sentence. Now, let's look at the definition of that word. From Dictionary.com:
Speculation

spec·u·la·tion [spek-yuh-ley-shuhn] noun
1. the contemplation or consideration of some subject: to engage in speculation on humanity's ultimate destiny.

2. a single instance or process of consideration.

3. a conclusion or opinion reached by such contemplation: These speculations are impossible to verify.

4. conjectural consideration of a matter; conjecture or surmise: a report based on speculation rather than facts.

5. engagement in business transactions involving considerable risk but offering the chance of large gains, especially trading in commodities, stocks, etc., in the hope of profit from changes in the market price.
One can also go to the Merriam Webster dictionary to look up the word speculate but the salient point is this...as of yet, there is no factual evidence to support his theory.

How is another blog post about removing an activation grace period related? Microsoft is within their right to change their activation settings at any time. It is also well to point out (as the blogger did in his article) that Microsoft offers an evaluation copy.

Your second "related" article has been discussed in this forum in the past too. Besides the locked post of yours it was discussed in »Valve exec calls Windows 8 a disaster

Well if they are so anal about download links and such, they better head over to this 4 year old thread.

»Windows 7 Beta Direct Download

Or this one from 6 years ago

»social.technet.microsoft.com/For···e33e0a68

I think they are censoring anything they want for whatever reasons they please.
I stand by my wording, thanks.

MSeng
Premium,Ex-Mod 2001-08
join:2000-07-13
Ork
kudos:6

The links in your four year old post are dead. That's a fact, not speculation.

I stand behind all of my comments.
--
A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer.

Cartel
Premium
Chilliwack, BC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Shaw
·TELUS

said by MSeng:

The links in your four year old post are dead. That's a fact, not speculation.

I stand behind all of my comments.

Yes of course they are.
So why would they want to issue takedown orders when they can just de-activate the links as you seen?

They didn't issue takedown orders for the 2 threads I posted.

Sounds fishy to me.

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX

said by Cartel:

...Sounds fishy to me.

It is very fishy. There is one helluva conspiracy brewing. We will eventually catch them if we stay diligent.
--
Breaker One Nine.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by SipSizzurp:

said by Cartel:

...Sounds fishy to me.

It is very fishy. There is one helluva conspiracy brewing. We will eventually catch them if we stay diligent.

I have been diligently trying to catch Godot for years!
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Wily_One
Premium
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA
reply to JohnInSJ

said by JohnInSJ:

I have never heard of any of these.

^ Same.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to Cartel

I have heard of "Hardware Canucks" for whatever that is worth.

Personally I don't really care if the accusation is true or not. However, I think the negative response to Windows 8 is far too prominent for Microsoft to effectively address it as suggested.

Thats not to say that I share in the negative response to Windows 8 because I don't.

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
reply to Cartel

»www.dvhardware.net/article55673.html

quote:
Posted on Thursday, August 30 2012 @ 11:07:48 CEST by Thomas De Maesschalck

NGOHQ received a response from Microsoft regarding the Windows 8 DMCA takedown notices that numerous tech websites received lately.
"Microsoft is committed to ensuring that copyright is respected online. To protect our intellectual property, Microsoft's anti-piracy programs target links to infringing copies of our software; we do not target commentary. We take reports of inaccurate DMCA notices seriously, and will investigate disputed notices upon receipt. If the sites do not contain links to infringing copies of our software, we will contact Google about reinstating the search results." said Mark Lamb, Senior PR Manager.
Sounds like a standard PR message with lots of words but little meaning. I can confirm that there's been some strange DMCA takedown behaviour from Microsoft lately as I myself received a message from Google last week that Microsoft submitted a DMCA takedown order regarding an article on DV Hardware that described the new Metro user interface in less favorable terms.

The weird thing about it is that the URL they requested a DMCA takedown for didn't use our current link structure and contained unnecessary variables. I suspect these takedown notices are the result of a bot crawling the web rather than a team searching for "bad publicity".
Interesting

Blake

--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool

btB

@rr.com
reply to Cartel

I don't even think censoring is even the correct term here.

What is being claimed is that these "negative" articles cannot be found with a Google search. Nowhere was it mentioned that stories were being erased.

If the removal from Google search is actually true, it can be easily tested if somebody would just give the URL's. However even if somebody cannot find it on Google but can find it on Bing instead, then the censoring theory does not hold water.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to JohnInSJ

They are acting like the 2yo children they are who dont like what they see

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA
reply to Cartel

Re: [News] Microsoft censoring negative talk about Windows 8

Clearly not letting anybody talk about how bad they think windows 8 is will get people to like it. LOL.. i see this backfiring badly.

lorennerol
Premium
join:2003-10-29
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

said by djdanska:

Clearly not letting anybody talk about how bad they think windows 8 is will get people to like it. LOL.. i see this backfiring badly.

The vast majority of people will never know what they are accused of doing. And so by removing the primary conduit to the info, web search, MS (could) succeed in altering perceptions.

I personally think they've stupidly stepped on their own collective junk by forcing desktop PC users to interact with a phone/tablet-oriented UI. They're even jamming down the throats of network administrators via Windows Server 2012. And rather than listen to feedback from, you know, actual users of their software, they've arrogantly marched on with it. The problem is that they saw something similar work for Mr. Jobs, who had a genius for knowing what people wanted before the people actually did. Microsoft does not, in my experience, possess this attribute in any way. If they did, we'd all be carrying Zunes.

So given the avalanche of negative reviews of their poor choices and that the product is already RTM, they are left to try to censor people in order to look good. And there are no hungry people in North Korea, either.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by lorennerol:

said by djdanska:

The vast majority of people will never know what they are accused of doing. And so by removing the primary conduit to the info, web search, MS (could) succeed in altering perceptions.

I personally think they've stupidly stepped on their own collective junk by forcing desktop PC users to interact with a phone/tablet-oriented UI. They're even jamming down the throats of network administrators via Windows Server 2012. And rather than listen to feedback from, you know, actual users of their software, they've arrogantly marched on with it. The problem is that they saw something similar work for Mr. Jobs, who had a genius for knowing what people wanted before the people actually did. Microsoft does not, in my experience, possess this attribute in any way. If they did, we'd all be carrying Zunes.

So given the avalanche of negative reviews of their poor choices and that the product is already RTM, they are left to try to censor people in order to look good. And there are no hungry people in North Korea, either.

I was eligible for the $15 upgrade and signed up, mainly just to have it available if i need it, but i have zero intention of using it anytime soon.
--
The day the child realizes that all adults are imperfect, he becomes an adolescent; the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult. The day he forgives himself, he becomes wise.
Alden Nowlan

workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Octavean

I have switched to Win8 for my work PC and it's pretty slick. If I had to pay for it I would not bother but it is as good or better than Win7. They will be forced to bring back the start menu though. It is just relied upon way too much for it to just go away like that.

Dave
--
I may have been born yesterday. But it wasn't at night.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to Octavean

said by Octavean:

I have heard of "Hardware Canucks" for whatever that is worth.

+1
--
~ Project Hope ~

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to workablob

said by workablob:

I have switched to Win8 for my work PC and it's pretty slick. If I had to pay for it I would not bother but it is as good or better than Win7. They will be forced to bring back the start menu though. It is just relied upon way too much for it to just go away like that.

It works exactly the same - except better. If you've been trained to do Start, use a pinned app, or Start, type the first few letters, you'll not notice much difference except the tiles are live, and you have a lot more room to organize them the way you want to make your "start menu" exactly what you want.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us