uniqs
share rss forum feed

captnhook

join:2001-02-20
NY

2 edits

[WIN7] September 20th Internet TV in WMC ceases

Just saw a notification in my Windows Media Center that
"On September 20. 2012, the Internet TV experience in Windows Media Center will no longer be available. However you'll still find all these great videos and much more via your internet browser"
What a bunch of BS.
One of Windows media centers better features and they abandon it.
I guess Microsoft wants to alienate and piss off their customers.
Google or Apple TV will be getting a few new users from this move I suppose.
I for one appreciated being able to watch online shows using one simple interface on my pc and TV but now Microsoft wants to torpedo that.
Only one word comes to mind ..idiots.

Gone Fishing
Premium
join:2001-06-29

3 edits
Click for full size
Windows Media Center

Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to captnhook
Two complaints about that:

1) Yes, Media Center is one of the better parts of Microsoft software. With the lukewarm approach taken in Windows 8, and now the removal of a feature from Windows 7, it appears that Redmond can't tell when it's done something good. See also Windows Home Server. Both of these actually succeed in the "remarkably easy to use" category, something that Windows claims as a strength but often fails to achieve.

2) Why can't people write in English? "The Internet TV experience will no longer be available". Bah. I suppose if my neighborhood bar closes down, they'll be posting a sign saying "the local drinking experience is no longer available".

Freddy
Premium
join:2005-05-17
Arlington, VA
kudos:2
Didn't Microsoft say their research shows Media Center is not widely used, so lack of user interest explains what they (Microsoft) is doing?

Personally, I also don't use Media Center for watching TV on my computer (Win7). I use my TV for that. I use my PS3 for watching DVDs while sitting on a sofa. I guess this behavior is common practice.

Freddy

redxii
Premium,Mod
join:2001-02-26
Sherwood, MI
One annoyance with Media Center is that it demands an IR blaster be set up for S-Video/component. It won't let the user skip that part of the set up, it isn't necessary as the box has a controller already and Media Center should simply display the output. I use it on my satellite box on the Ch 3 output, I don't have a TV, and works fine windowed to still browse the interwebs while watching TV without an additional device using power.
--
Moe, I need your advice… See I've got this friend named Joey Joe-Joe... Junior... Shabadoo..

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4

1 recommendation

reply to captnhook
Just one more reason to switch to XBMC / Plex and acquire content through other means. Idiots.
--
♬ Music is life ♬

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to redxii
said by redxii:

One annoyance with Media Center is that it demands an IR blaster be set up for S-Video/component.

If you tell WMC that you're using a cable or satellite set top box, then yes you need an IR blaster so that WMC can control the channel changing on the set-top box (this is especially important for setting up recordings). There are plenty of compatible blasters for less than $30.
--
♬ Music is life ♬

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to Freddy
said by Freddy:

Didn't Microsoft say their research shows Media Center is not widely used, so lack of user interest explains what they (Microsoft) is doing?

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I think this is the network studios doing.

Personally, I also don't use Media Center for watching TV on my computer (Win7). I use my TV for that. I use my PS3 for watching DVDs while sitting on a sofa.

And how do you watch tv episodes from the web (e.g. after you've missed their original broadcast on your tv)?
--
♬ Music is life ♬

redxii
Premium,Mod
join:2001-02-26
Sherwood, MI

1 edit
reply to darcilicious
If the box is also a DVR then it's completely unnecessary. Even if it isn't and you want to do without recording you should still have the option to skip it. The boxes come with remotes; regular TVs don't need an IR blaster. WinTV for example doesn't require a blaster with S-Video/component.

I prefer MC though as it tends to close all its services when im not using it.
--
Moe, I need your advice… See I've got this friend named Joey Joe-Joe... Junior... Shabadoo..

Freddy
Premium
join:2005-05-17
Arlington, VA
reply to darcilicious
darcilicious,

Those not wanting to miss viewing tv episodes should invest in some sort of personal DVR. I don't care if I miss some program. I'm one of those who is bored with much of tv programing. Oh, and I see too many reruns, anyway.

Freddy

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
said by Freddy:

darcilicious, Those not wanting to miss viewing tv episodes should invest in some sort of personal DVR.

"Should" they now? Or perhaps, WMC "should" keep including access to the content available on the web.

I don't care if I miss some program. I'm one of those who is bored with much of tv programing. Oh, and I see too many reruns, anyway.

Well, then WMC isn't the program for you. However, I'm sure there are many folks that are going to fire up WMC shortly after the Fall premieres air and be quite annoyed that they can't watch their shows online any more through a very nice interface.
--
♬ Music is life ♬

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to redxii
said by redxii:

One annoyance with Media Center is that it demands an IR blaster be set up for S-Video/component. It won't let the user skip that part of the set up, it isn't necessary as the box has a controller already and Media Center should simply display the output. I use it on my satellite box on the Ch 3 output, I don't have a TV, and works fine windowed to still browse the interwebs while watching TV without an additional device using power.

Believe me when I say I understand what you are saying. However, this is not how Media Center was intended to be used.

A lot of people have never used Media Center that is clear. Many who have tried it often haven't had it setup properly and thus haven't had proper experience with the software.

What you explained was an attempt at an incorrect configuration. Media Center is fairly complex DVR software, you probably would be better off using a simpler third party program.

***edit***

Sorry to see Internet tv go. It's not a feature I used much in Media Center personally but it is another telltale sign of Microsoft bastardizing the software. 

Personally I have a CableCard tuner I haven't gotten around to setting up because I really like my Hauppauge HD PVR USB / Colossus configuration.  AVCHD / H.264 at 1080i / 720p completely restriction free (even on premium HD channels) is hard to pass up on.

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
reply to captnhook
Click for full size
Looks like Microsoft pulled the plug early on this. The screen says the 20th, and its still the 19th. Yet, I cannot watch anything.

Not that I did much anyway, just wanted to point it out.

--Brian

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
Click for full size
It seems to be working here,....for now,....

Anon

@charter.com
Yes, I agree this is BS... I cannot believe that they would do this to such a nice piece of software. It is still the 19th and yet no internet tv.. wow.. they cannot even hit their own dead line. I now have no reason to open the software. I use WMP for music. And I don't have a tuner card. Is it really going to save you that much to kill this Microsoft??? Please rethink this next time you have a "bright idea" of ruining software that was perfectly fine..

That is all..

*Other bright ideas*

Zune HD anyone?

jaa
Premium
join:2000-06-13
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online
reply to captnhook
We use WMC connected to our big screen TV, with a cablecard tuner. Love it.

Saw "Internet TV" but never used it, so I guess no point in checking it out now...
--
NOTHING justifies terrorism. We don't negotiate with terrorists. Those that support terrorists are terrorists.

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
reply to captnhook
Totally weird here... I get to a black screen with "Internet TV" at the top, and some captions in white stacked vertically: "Top TV", "Grand Finale", Channels", .... no images. The back button on the remote works, but that's about it.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to captnhook
Yep, they are dropping several things that have hung on with very limited uptake and which are easily replaced by third party software.

The 18 people who use internet tv among the 22 people who use WMC will be pissed off.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
Maybe so, but one of the attractive features of Media Center (like Home Server, which is suffering similar abuse from Microsoft) was the integrated don't-need-to-think-about-it angle.

I screw around with computers all day. I have many computers at home. What I want for a Media Center is an entertainment appliance, not yet another computer to screw around with.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
Well I look at it like this.

I’ve used Media Center for a long time and in that time I have used every publicly available version of Media Center. I’ve seen the product grow and now I unfortunately (IMO) am seeing it decline into oblivion.

However, in that time I’ve seen a number of innovations made by third parties which were then later addressed by Microsoft in an official way. For example:

Netflix in Media Center
Internet TV / videos
Clear QAM tuner support

And some that weren’t like launching the Hulu desktop app from within Media Center and returning to Media Center when exiting the Hulu desktop app.

I guess my point is that I don’t really think the functionality was lost with the demise of Internet TV because there are a number of ways to regain that functionality with little effort (because that’s what Media Center users were doing before).

In the past I myself used PlayOn:

»www.playon.tv/playon

To get videos from YouTube, Hulu and so on. I’m not much into this anymore though.

For what its worth I had been using Windows Home Server before Media Center integration as well. Again there were ways to store your recorded TV and access it before Microsoft made it a little easier.

I guess what I am trying to say is even in the face of Microsoft abandoning Media Center there are still ways to beat that dead horse. Still all good things must come to an end.

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
reply to dave
said by dave:

Maybe so, but one of the attractive features of Media Center (like Home Server, which is suffering similar abuse from Microsoft) was the integrated don't-need-to-think-about-it angle.

I screw around with computers all day. I have many computers at home. What I want for a Media Center is an entertainment appliance, not yet another computer to screw around with.

Well, then get a boxee box, or any of the other appliances that do this. Or a HDTV with internet. Or an xbox.
--

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada
reply to Octavean
cool

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to dave
I neglected to mention that there was a Media Center specific companion application that I used in conjunction with PlayOn. I forget the name of it at the moment but if I remember it I’ll post it. Anyway, the setup had a number default channels such as Hulu, Netflix, Youtube and so on. You could also add custom channels from online sources of your choice (including “adult” content if you like).

This past summer we visited my Wife’f family in Florida. I got to see their various entertainment setups in their respective homes. One of her uncles was particularly proud of their Blu-Ray player’s ability to access Youtube and the like. He even went so far as to say that it was the only way one should do it (paraphrasing). Naturally I played along but it seemed clunky, awkward, limited and slow. There was no unity. Different interfaces with different remotes and having to switch to different inputs. The aspect ratio would randomly switch so you couldn’t see all of the interface. It was a hot mess.

said by dave:

Media Center and Windows Home Server are not without flaw or complexity. I’d personally be very careful to take the approach to suggest that they are simple or easy to deal with. I say this largely because of the general public that these products were aimed at. These products, while refined and powerful are simply above the heads of the uninitiated consumer.

I’m not saying this applies to you I’m just saying in general.

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
reply to JohnInSJ
If boxee comes with a WHS client for backup, that would work. Otherwise more effort.

All I'm saying is that I had an integrated system that worked well, and now the Redmondites seem intent on throwing away the pieces that made it attractive.

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
reply to Octavean
Point taken: my 'simplicity' argument is mostly about being able to install them and then ignore them.

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
reply to dave
said by dave:

All I'm saying is that I had an integrated system that worked well, and now the Redmondites seem intent on throwing away the pieces that made it attractive.

They are intent on not supporting a handful of users, yes. So don't rev your system if it works for you.
--

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
reply to captnhook
Given I very rarely watch TV, I'm not going to miss it. In fact I typically install Enterprise versions of Windows as I want all the goodies but without the media stuff. While most TV sucks, what really put me off TV was how stupid the commercials are and given the frequency and quantity of those on TV, I decided that my life would and has been far better without TV.

Blake
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to captnhook
Going to guess it was not totally an MS call to pull the plug. But that other media owners decided they want to go their own path. Content owners are not keen on single interface and ease of use.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports