Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to dave

Premium Member

to dave

Re: [WIN7] September 20th Internet TV in WMC ceases

said by dave:

Maybe so, but one of the attractive features of Media Center (like Home Server, which is suffering similar abuse from Microsoft) was the integrated don't-need-to-think-about-it angle.

I screw around with computers all day. I have many computers at home. What I want for a Media Center is an entertainment appliance, not yet another computer to screw around with.

Well, then get a boxee box, or any of the other appliances that do this. Or a HDTV with internet. Or an xbox.

Pauly
join:2004-05-29
canada

Pauly to Octavean

to Octavean
cool

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to dave

MVM

to dave
I neglected to mention that there was a Media Center specific companion application that I used in conjunction with PlayOn. I forget the name of it at the moment but if I remember it I’ll post it. Anyway, the setup had a number default channels such as Hulu, Netflix, Youtube and so on. You could also add custom channels from online sources of your choice (including “adult” content if you like).

This past summer we visited my Wife’f family in Florida. I got to see their various entertainment setups in their respective homes. One of her uncles was particularly proud of their Blu-Ray player’s ability to access Youtube and the like. He even went so far as to say that it was the only way one should do it (paraphrasing). Naturally I played along but it seemed clunky, awkward, limited and slow. There was no unity. Different interfaces with different remotes and having to switch to different inputs. The aspect ratio would randomly switch so you couldn’t see all of the interface. It was a hot mess.
said by dave:

Maybe so, but one of the attractive features of Media Center (like Home Server, which is suffering similar abuse from Microsoft) was the integrated don't-need-to-think-about-it angle.

I screw around with computers all day. I have many computers at home. What I want for a Media Center is an entertainment appliance, not yet another computer to screw around with.

Media Center and Windows Home Server are not without flaw or complexity. I’d personally be very careful to take the approach to suggest that they are simple or easy to deal with. I say this largely because of the general public that these products were aimed at. These products, while refined and powerful are simply above the heads of the uninitiated consumer.

I’m not saying this applies to you I’m just saying in general.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to JohnInSJ

Premium Member

to JohnInSJ
If boxee comes with a WHS client for backup, that would work. Otherwise more effort.

All I'm saying is that I had an integrated system that worked well, and now the Redmondites seem intent on throwing away the pieces that made it attractive.
dave

dave to Octavean

Premium Member

to Octavean
Point taken: my 'simplicity' argument is mostly about being able to install them and then ignore them.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to dave

Premium Member

to dave
said by dave:

All I'm saying is that I had an integrated system that worked well, and now the Redmondites seem intent on throwing away the pieces that made it attractive.

They are intent on not supporting a handful of users, yes. So don't rev your system if it works for you.

Link Logger
MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

Link Logger to captnhook

MVM

to captnhook
Given I very rarely watch TV, I'm not going to miss it. In fact I typically install Enterprise versions of Windows as I want all the goodies but without the media stuff. While most TV sucks, what really put me off TV was how stupid the commercials are and given the frequency and quantity of those on TV, I decided that my life would and has been far better without TV.

Blake
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to captnhook

Premium Member

to captnhook
Going to guess it was not totally an MS call to pull the plug. But that other media owners decided they want to go their own path. Content owners are not keen on single interface and ease of use.