All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Frontstar
join:2012-09-03

Frontstar

ouya consol

Hey i just wanted to ask you, if anyone has more information about the ouya consol. its an android based version and it will be very cheap. i just watch an advertise, but the information base was very weak.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

Do a web search - you will find tons of info including the companies web site.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

1 edit

silbaco to Frontstar

Premium Member

to Frontstar
The wikipedia article is pretty accurate. I would look there for the actual specs.

I think this console is doomed to fail for three reasons. The first being that they are very insistent that all games on the console must offer some free version, which will alienate developers. The second being that the console has limited hardware out of the box (8GB storage and HDMI-only for example) and as of currently Ouya is refusing to do much about it saying the console is designed for hackers/modders who will be able to figure out a way to get around these limitations. That may be true, but a console targeted toward hackers will have almost no marketshare. And any serious console wouldn´t have HDMI only. And the third reason is similar to the second. Being designed for the technical group and being open will flood the console with piracy. Piracy will be enough to keep large developers off the console. Without large developers and the average consumer, this console doesn't have a chance.

Kilroy
MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

Kilroy

MVM

said by silbaco:

And any serious console wouldn´t have HDMI only.

Why? What other outputs do you want?

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

1 recommendation

Snakeoil

Premium Member

Some people still own old TVs that have only RCA hook up, or a coaxial connection.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

Then those people won't be getting this device. Just like they won't be getting a Boxee Box or other HDMI-only devices...

Kilroy
MVM
Saint Paul, MN

1 recommendation

Kilroy to Snakeoil

MVM

to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

Some people still own old TVs that have only RCA hook up, or a coaxial connection.

That's like saying we shouldn't have CDs because some people still have turn tables. Guess it is time to either upgrade, or you really shouldn't be buying an Ouya.
urmom
Premium Member
join:2010-10-18
Pittsburg, KS

urmom

Premium Member

Vinyls are still being made for turntables so your point doesn't quite work.

Kilroy
MVM
Saint Paul, MN

Kilroy

MVM

Yes and you can go buy a PS2 if you need RCA jacks. Works just fine. Progress shouldn't be held up just because everyone can't use it.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco to Frontstar

Premium Member

to Frontstar
It is not a matter of not having a TV capable of using HDMI. It is a matter of "does every TV I am going to want to connect this to have HDMI?" I move my consoles around a lot. Over half the TVs I plug them in to do not have HDMI. Judging by the comments in other forums, I would say a lot of people are in similar situations. There are just a lot of situations where a person is going to want to plug the console into an older TV. A converter costs more than the console.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR

1 recommendation

darcilicious

Premium Member

And so... you won't be plugging those consoles into your non-HDMI TVs. Tough break but there it is...

A converter costs more than the console.

And less than a new TV probably so those are your choices.

Kilroy
MVM
Saint Paul, MN

1 recommendation

Kilroy to silbaco

MVM

to silbaco
I'm just not getting it. Either you pony up the money for a new TV or converter or you don't buy it. Sad fact, people who don't have a viewing device that supports HDMI are in the minority. HDMI has been out for years. So if you're hanging on to your old TV because it still works it may just be time to let it go, rather than insist on having obsolete technology built into new products.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix to Frontstar

Premium Member

to Frontstar
I've known about this for quite some time. First read about it I think on a Gizmodo article, and saw their page on Kickstarter.

Looks interesting, but I'll hold off until I see what the market is like for it, and the reception. I wouldn't want to buy a product that doesn't have wide market appeal, and a high demand. That right there speaks to it's longevity. I'm not in the habit of throwing money away. I like the idea of it though.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

I have to admit I splurged at the last minute for one, mostly because they say that they'll have a Plex client up on running on it by the time they ship one to me. If it works well enough, I'll be buying a couple more.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

Supposedly the new consoles will also be hdmi only. Whatever will the OP do then?

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Thorndale, ON

danawhitaker

Premium Member

said by Metatron2008:

Supposedly the new consoles will also be hdmi only. Whatever will the OP do then?

According to what I read about the Wii U, it will not be HDMI only. ""AV Multi Out" port supporting composite video, YPBPR component video, S-Video (NTSC consoles only), RGB SCART (European consoles only) and D-Terminal (Japan only)" is listed in addition to HDMI.

My TV has HDMI ports. But only three of them. One of those is tied up by my cable box. One is tied up by my computer. Another is tied up by my Xbox 360. My Wii is currently on composite. I can see some people preferring to have another output option not because their TV doesn't have HDMI but because they don't have enough HDMI ports on their television set to accommodate all their devices without playing swap the cable every time they want to use a difference device or getting one of those awful system switchers. Maybe the switchers have improved since I used them about six years ago. If I got any other device, I'd hope it would be component capable because I'd rather avoid one of those alternatives and use the input I have - especially since component and HDMI can often give very similar picture quality and the main difference seems to be the sound being paired on the HDMI cable vs. having separate audio inputs with component.

The fact is, people like options. Sometimes it's just the principle of the matter. Is anyone saying that they want a coax option like the NES? I don't think so. But I don't think it's necessarily unreasonable to think that a device should be capable of two different outputs (like component and HDMI). This is something that Nintendo seems to understand. It'll be interesting to see what Sony and Microsoft do with their next consoles. All you do when you say "X only" is limit your potential pool of customers. That being said, I think the Ouya has more hurdles than this to conquer.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

I've got only 1 HDMI port on my TV (it's an older model and HDMI wasn't currently that widespread back in '05-'06 when I got it), and I've got my cable box using HDMI, my laptop hooked up to my TV via HDMI, and my PS3 hooked up via HDMI. I've got a 5-port HDMI switch box that's really tiny and compact, and comes with a tiny, thin remote only slightly bigger than a credit card, and everything works seamlessly, and I still have 2 ports left. It auto switches to the new source when it detects it, and if I want to manually switch sources, well, that's what that tiny remote is for. Really isn't that big a deal, and it takes up practically no space. Even looks pretty cool and sleek with the blue and red lights on it.

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Thorndale, ON

danawhitaker

Premium Member

said by Alpha Phoenix:

I've got only 1 HDMI port on my TV (it's an older model and HDMI wasn't currently that widespread back in '05-'06 when I got it), and I've got my cable box using HDMI, my laptop hooked up to my TV via HDMI, and my PS3 hooked up via HDMI. I've got a 5-port HDMI switch box that's really tiny and compact, and comes with a tiny, thin remote only slightly bigger than a credit card, and everything works seamlessly, and I still have 2 ports left. It auto switches to the new source when it detects it, and if I want to manually switch sources, well, that's what that tiny remote is for. Really isn't that big a deal, and it takes up practically no space. Even looks pretty cool and sleek with the blue and red lights on it.

I'm glad to know there are some good system switching devices out there. The junk I used way back in the day just seemed awful - slow, buggy, clunky push-button setups that didn't always work well.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Here's are some pics of my HDMI switch box, and the remote. It works perfectly, and is very sleek, small, and stylish looking.

Just as a point of reference for scale, the HDMI switch box itself is only 4½" x 2½", and only 1" thick. The remote itself is only 3½" x 1½", and ¼" thick.

It's this one: »www.kinivo.com/Kinivo-50 ··· hSize=12