Premium Member

to exocet_cm

Re: Need info on transfer switch and interlock for generator

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
said by exocet_cm:

said by nunya:

Square D makes interlock kits for their QO and Homeline panels. They are both available online. I think I paid about $100 for the last Square D kit I ordered (I don't know why they are so overpriced). They are fairly straightforward, installation-wise.

It forces you to shut off the main (utility) before you can turn on the generator power. It won't let you have both on at the same time. You just have to select which loads you want to keep on. Obviously your generator isn't going to power any major appliances. What I suggest to people is to go to office depot and get some red and green dot stickers to label which breakers should be turned on (Fridge, lights, TV, Microwave, pumps, etc...).

No stupid sub-panel required. A 30A inlet is about $50 online, and a 30A Square D breaker is probably around $10 at Lowe's Depot.

Nix the transfer switch kit above, install a 30A inlet on the panel and add a Square D interlock kit to the panel? This is the interlock kit that is positioned in a way so that the generator breaker can't turn on unless the main is turned off? I think it stretches from the main down to the top most breaker in the panel (which would be the generator breaker).

Here are a few pics of my setup. This is what nunya is talking about. My panel is a GE, so your setup will look a little different, but the concept is the same. My inlet is a 30A that is wired back to a 30A breaker in panel positions 2 and 4. This setup can take a max of 7500 continuous watt generator (my house is primarily propane based, so low electrical draw needed).

If you want to go bigger, you can go 50A inlet wired to a 50A breaker (wiring must be larger gauge to meet code) and you can use up to a 12,500 watt generator (I think... nunya can confirm that). Determine your needs and gather your supplies. I would recommend logging a call or an in-person visit to your local building department to confirm interlock kits are code-compliant for your municipality. They are legal in most places, but there are a few that do not allow them for whatever reason. My building office has no problem with them. Good luck!

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

said by XXXXXXXXXXX1:

said by exocet_cm:

said by nunya:

Square D makes interlock kits for their QO and Homeline panels. They are both available online. I think I paid about $100 for the last Square D kit I ordered (I don't know why they are so overpriced). They are fairly straightforward, installation-wise.

It forces you to shut off the main (utility) before you can turn on the generator power. It won't let you have both on at the same time. You just have to select which loads you want to keep on. Obviously your generator isn't going to power any major appliances. What I suggest to people is to go to office depot and get some red and green dot stickers to label which breakers should be turned on (Fridge, lights, TV, Microwave, pumps, etc...).

No stupid sub-panel required. A 30A inlet is about $50 online, and a 30A Square D breaker is probably around $10 at Lowe's Depot.

Nix the transfer switch kit above, install a 30A inlet on the panel and add a Square D interlock kit to the panel? This is the interlock kit that is positioned in a way so that the generator breaker can't turn on unless the main is turned off? I think it stretches from the main down to the top most breaker in the panel (which would be the generator breaker).

Here are a few pics of my setup. This is what nunya is talking about. My panel is a GE, so your setup will look a little different, but the concept is the same. My inlet is a 30A that is wired back to a 30A breaker in panel positions 2 and 4. This setup can take a max of 7500 continuous watt generator (my house is primarily propane based, so low electrical draw needed).

If you want to go bigger, you can go 50A inlet wired to a 50A breaker (wiring must be larger gauge to meet code) and you can use up to a 12,500 watt generator (I think... nunya can confirm that). Determine your needs and gather your supplies. I would recommend logging a call or an in-person visit to your local building department to confirm interlock kits are code-compliant for your municipality. They are legal in most places, but there are a few that do not allow them for whatever reason. My building office has no problem with them. Good luck!

I would consider using an interlock kit on my setup but I have two problems with one being that Massachusetts building code does not allow interlocks (must use a transfer switch) and the other being that all of my breaker slots are occupied (although I could disconnect the dedicated circuit for the thru the wall A/C that does not work and I use my own 120 volt A/C units instead of the one that comes with the unit). Also, my circuit breaker panel is a challenger brand panel (which I think is discontinued and cannot get parts for).