Freddy
Premium Member
join:2005-05-17
Arlington, VA

Freddy to dave

Premium Member

to dave

Re: [WIN7] September 20th Internet TV in WMC ceases

Didn't Microsoft say their research shows Media Center is not widely used, so lack of user interest explains what they (Microsoft) is doing?

Personally, I also don't use Media Center for watching TV on my computer (Win7). I use my TV for that. I use my PS3 for watching DVDs while sitting on a sofa. I guess this behavior is common practice.

Freddy

redxii
Mod
join:2001-02-26
Michigan
Asus RT-AC3100
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2

redxii

Mod

One annoyance with Media Center is that it demands an IR blaster be set up for S-Video/component. It won't let the user skip that part of the set up, it isn't necessary as the box has a controller already and Media Center should simply display the output. I use it on my satellite box on the Ch 3 output, I don't have a TV, and works fine windowed to still browse the interwebs while watching TV without an additional device using power.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by redxii:

One annoyance with Media Center is that it demands an IR blaster be set up for S-Video/component.

If you tell WMC that you're using a cable or satellite set top box, then yes you need an IR blaster so that WMC can control the channel changing on the set-top box (this is especially important for setting up recordings). There are plenty of compatible blasters for less than $30.
darcilicious

darcilicious to Freddy

Premium Member

to Freddy
said by Freddy:

Didn't Microsoft say their research shows Media Center is not widely used, so lack of user interest explains what they (Microsoft) is doing?

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I think this is the network studios doing.

Personally, I also don't use Media Center for watching TV on my computer (Win7). I use my TV for that. I use my PS3 for watching DVDs while sitting on a sofa.

And how do you watch tv episodes from the web (e.g. after you've missed their original broadcast on your tv)?

redxii
Mod
join:2001-02-26
Michigan
Asus RT-AC3100
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2

1 edit

redxii to darcilicious

Mod

to darcilicious
If the box is also a DVR then it's completely unnecessary. Even if it isn't and you want to do without recording you should still have the option to skip it. The boxes come with remotes; regular TVs don't need an IR blaster. WinTV for example doesn't require a blaster with S-Video/component.

I prefer MC though as it tends to close all its services when im not using it.

Freddy
Premium Member
join:2005-05-17
Arlington, VA

Freddy to darcilicious

Premium Member

to darcilicious
darcilicious,

Those not wanting to miss viewing tv episodes should invest in some sort of personal DVR. I don't care if I miss some program. I'm one of those who is bored with much of tv programing. Oh, and I see too many reruns, anyway.

Freddy

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by Freddy:

darcilicious, Those not wanting to miss viewing tv episodes should invest in some sort of personal DVR.

"Should" they now? Or perhaps, WMC "should" keep including access to the content available on the web.

I don't care if I miss some program. I'm one of those who is bored with much of tv programing. Oh, and I see too many reruns, anyway.

Well, then WMC isn't the program for you. However, I'm sure there are many folks that are going to fire up WMC shortly after the Fall premieres air and be quite annoyed that they can't watch their shows online any more through a very nice interface.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

1 edit

Octavean to redxii

MVM

to redxii
said by redxii:

One annoyance with Media Center is that it demands an IR blaster be set up for S-Video/component. It won't let the user skip that part of the set up, it isn't necessary as the box has a controller already and Media Center should simply display the output. I use it on my satellite box on the Ch 3 output, I don't have a TV, and works fine windowed to still browse the interwebs while watching TV without an additional device using power.

Believe me when I say I understand what you are saying. However, this is not how Media Center was intended to be used.

A lot of people have never used Media Center that is clear. Many who have tried it often haven't had it setup properly and thus haven't had proper experience with the software.

What you explained was an attempt at an incorrect configuration. Media Center is fairly complex DVR software, you probably would be better off using a simpler third party program.

***edit***

Sorry to see Internet tv go. It's not a feature I used much in Media Center personally but it is another telltale sign of Microsoft bastardizing the software. 

Personally I have a CableCard tuner I haven't gotten around to setting up because I really like my Hauppauge HD PVR USB / Colossus configuration.  AVCHD / H.264 at 1080i / 720p completely restriction free (even on premium HD channels) is hard to pass up on.