how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mpbucks

join:2012-09-03
Columbus, OH

Explorer 8300 HD DVR

I had WOW cable installed last week and have a question about the HD DVR. They installed the Explorer 8300 HD DVR, which has a small storage and really outdated interface. Does anyone know if they offer a newer DVR in the Columbus, Ohio area? My brother has TWC and they use the Explorer 8640, which has more storage and a much more modern interface (maybe that's just the firmware?). I know WOW offers Ultra TV, but it doesn't really seem necessary to me as I only have one TV.

baess

join:2011-01-28
Cisco 8642 HDC. The interface will be about the same but it has more storage. The standard line is that all equipment may not be available in all areas so call to find out.

adam1991

join:2012-06-16
Columbus, OH
reply to mpbucks
Very soon, you will be able to buy the most advanced DVR on the market: the Ceton Q. All it takes is a cableCARD for $3. It's a 6 tuner whole-house solution (uses very small extenders for remote locations) that you own, from the company that makes the Ceton InfiniTV4 tuner that I use in my own home-built Windows-based DVR.

My father has that 8300, and I'd rather sit in silence than poke around his TV system.

sparkydm

join:2012-05-10
The seperate baoxes for each tv alone are $175 with that system, unless they offer a package deal. I don't even want to think what the main box will cost! Ouch!

adam1991

join:2012-06-16
Columbus, OH
Compared to rental, it's a steal.

Cable companies make a ton of money off of those $15/month boxes that are total crap.

troubleagain

@wideopenwest.com
said by adam1991:

Cable companies make a ton of money off of those $15/month boxes that are total crap.

Plenty of WOW customers get their boxes for free.

mogamer

join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI
said by troubleagain :

said by adam1991:

Plenty of WOW customers get their boxes for free.

Free DVR's too?

Anyway, if you own the equipment, you're recordings aren't dependent on keeping the same provider or dvr.

mpbucks

Columbus, OH
reply to baess
I stopped by my local WOW office in Columbus today and was able to swap my 8300 for the Cisco Explorer 8642hdc. The Celton Q sounds like a neat idea, but I only have one TV, so a whole house DVR does not really interest me.

Thanks for everyone's input.

mpbucks

Columbus, OH
reply to mogamer
Yep, that's a good point.

Besides the upfront price, the only other negative I see would be if your DVR were to die, you'd be on the hook for replacing it. When you lease through the cable company, they'd just swap it out.

sparkydm

reply to adam1991

sparkydm

reply to adam1991
"Compared to rental, it's a steal."
If your equipment holds up and the Ceton co.
supports it properly. You definitely won't have a replacement the next day!

troubleagain

@wideopenwest.com
reply to mogamer
said by mogamer:

Free DVR's too?

Yep. One STB, One DVR, 2 DTAs. All gratis. Plus double digit monthly discounts too.