All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
zeddlar
join:2007-04-09
Jay, OK

zeddlar to compuguybna

to compuguybna

Re: I Just Downloaded a 8.46MB File in 0.01 Seconds!

I wouldn't say that speed was impossible because it isn't impossible. It could have been caused by HN playing around on the ground trying to get things ready for the gen 4 launch or anyone of a hundred things but the satellite way more than capable of that speed, we just don't see it because of limits placed on the modems and congestion. A large scale power outage for instance like a hurricane can cause could nearly unpopulate a beam altogether and if your modem was uncapped for whatever reason then where do you think your speeds would go then? I know SW3 can easily maintain 4 to 6Mb/s becuase I got that speed for months.
monicakm
join:2005-03-12
Grand Saline, TX

monicakm

more or less my thoughts the night it was happening.

MeAgain4
@direcway.com

MeAgain4

Anon

So, out of curiosity since you haven't mentioned them or shown any images of those results, how are your Hughesnet speed test anyway?

I normally get 3-4.5Mbps at testmynet, but sometimes 12+ and I know speeds aren't any faster during those strange speed burst times because all other sites still show the same old average speeds. When I'm seeing 3-4.5Mbps at testmynet, I usually am getting 2500kbps, w/ average downloads of actual files using IMD w/ 2or 4 way splits at around 260-280KB/s
monicakm
Grand Saline, TX

monicakm

I did (one) download speed test from Hughesnet about 1 this morning. Download was 830kbps and upload was 182. The uploads have, for the most part, shown a consistent speed.
One test on 8-21 download was 546kbps. Several tests on four days between March and June, the d/l numbers averaged 2832kbps, all the while my download speeds in the real world are in the single digits. HughesNet browsing tests were borderline. Browsing and downloads were excruciatingly slow. Buffering made watching videos too much trouble to mess with. All calls to ts ended with "its YOU, not us". So if it was me all this time, how did an email to the BBB miraculously fix "my" problem? I'm done going back and forth with this conversation. I was simply reporting what my experience was/is. That's what this forum is for.

MeAgain4
@direcway.com

MeAgain4

Anon

said by monicakm:

So if it was me all this time, how did an email to the BBB miraculously fix "my" problem? I'm done going back and forth with this conversation. I was simply reporting what my experience was/is. That's what this forum is for.

Thanks for your info, I was just curious and wasn't trying trying to bicker with you or anything like that, I think it's great to see you finally enjoying Hughes as I know it can be a pain at times!

Your last comment still has me curious though now, how's Hughes tests now that your browsing is fixed and speeds seem fast? Like when you do see 6-10+ at testmy, how does it test during that same time at Hughes?

Again, all just because I'm curious! I've only gotten crazy speeds there a few times, so I've always wondered how it happens and then only happens to some users sometimes. Probably servers used there, and on hughes end, differing from time to time?
Iowa Cowboy
join:2012-08-16
Monticello, IA

Iowa Cowboy

2 years ago I was on dial up, with a separate phone line I was paying $50 a month for download speeds of 2.5-3.5 Kbps, now I pay Hughes $38 a month for speeds of 3-4 Mbps. I have no complaints
monicakm
Grand Saline, TX

monicakm

Dare I? LOL
I was looking for "ping" information after reading about Excede.
TestMy doesn't include it. Again, while experiencing uber fast browsing like the other night (about the same time of night), I get this test result

Went to HughesNet to test
Web Response:
Download Time 4.8 seconds
Download Time 2.5 seconds
Download Time 2.3 seconds
Download Time 2.3 seconds
Download Time 2.4 seconds

Download Speed Test:
down 3338 kbps up 192
down 3577 up 180
down 3498 up 191

So what exactly is ping (I kinda get the jest of it) and why is it so important that even if d/l speed numbers are good a bad ping is "bad"? Is it directly related to VOIP and gaming? If I don't do those type of things, does it still adversely affect my Internet experience? What is a good ping number for satellite users?

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY

grohgreg

That's a whole new topic Monica, but it's your thread anyway. The name PING came from submarines, where sonar "pings" a distant object. The resultant echo - among other things - tells the originating vessel the distance to the object that reflected it. In Internet vernacular, PING stands for Packet INternet Groper but is usually stated as the simple acronym. An originating computer constructs an ICMP packet and sends it to a specific distant IP address. It's automatically turned around at the addressed server and returned to the originator. The PING utility knows what time it left and what time it returned. The difference between the two is round trip time (RTT) or PING time or "latency". This is where packet loss is figured as well; the number of bits in the packets sent minus the number of bits returned.

As with the submarine PING, distance is the main factor. Given that the ICMP packet(s) are sent at roughly the speed of light, that's a constant. The time it takes to get back is the variable. Figuring out how long it took at the speed of light derives the distance traveled. Satellite PING times are long because they're so far away. Unlike terrestrial broadband where distances are limited to the surface of the earth, satellite broadband by default takes a minimum 44,600 mile round trip. I say minimum, because that's just from the equator to the satellite and back. It is necessarily subject to terrestrial lag as well. So your PING goes from you to the satellite - down to the NOC - from the NOC to the addressed server back - then up to the satellite and back down to you.

//greg//