uniqs

bigred44
join:2008-02-10
Charlotte, NC

bigred44

OOMA - What Speed?

Will OOMA run ok with TW Basic Internet Package which is
3Mbps UP and 1 Mbsp DOWN?

Does anyone have just TW Basic Internet package using OOMA? ARe there any problems? OOMA website states all you need is high speed internet, they dont specify speeds.
Does a phone call break up if you are downloading a big file?

thanks!
scooper
join:2000-07-11
Kansas City, KS
·Google Fiber

scooper

Well - first off - usually your DOWNload speed is faster than your upload speed (so you're is probably 1 M up, 3M down).

Second - I was using Callcentric on DSL (3 M down, 640K up) before I got the cable modem, so yes I do not think you will have any problems with your current internet connection and VoIP.
decx
Premium Member
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC

decx to bigred44

Premium Member

to bigred44
You should be fine as long as you don't saturate your connection with other downloads/uploads while you're making calls. If you're downloading a file and the server can saturate your downstream bandwidth then you'll have audio problems with your call.

You should consider configuring QoS if available on your router, properly configured it can help prevent this problem as it would give the call traffic priority. I believe the Ooma box, if setup as a router, has QoS, if that's not your intended setup you'll need to setup it up on your router.

bigred44
Charlotte, NC

bigred44

said by decx:

You should be fine as long as you don't saturate your connection with other downloads/uploads while you're making calls. If you're downloading a file and the server can saturate your downstream bandwidth then you'll have audio problems with your call.

You should consider configuring QoS if available on your router, properly configured it can help prevent this problem as it would give the call traffic priority. I believe the Ooma box, if setup as a router, has QoS, if that's not your intended setup you'll need to setup it up on your router.

I am waiting on my ooma box. Will I definitely have a problem downloading a big file and using ooma also? I was hoping that someone with this setup (3down/1up) could verify.
scooper
join:2000-07-11
Kansas City, KS
·Google Fiber

scooper to bigred44

to bigred44
It really depends on how it is hooked up / configured. If your router has QoS settings available, following them should make your VoIP work pretty well, even if you're downloading. If the Ooma supports it, putting it in as your outward facing device will automaitcally do this QoS setup for voice.

bigred44
Charlotte, NC

bigred44

said by scooper:

It really depends on how it is hooked up / configured. If your router has QoS settings available, following them should make your VoIP work pretty well, even if you're downloading. If the Ooma supports it, putting it in as your outward facing device will automaitcally do this QoS setup for voice.

I am pretty slow. Can you explain what "following them" means?
When you state outward facing, what does that mean? thanks