join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit

1 recommendation

Smartphone apps track users even when shut down

»bostonglobe.com/business/2012/09···ory.html from »www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.···d=134905 ...

Good thing I don't own a mobile phone. :P

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

I'm shocked I tell ya, shocked, that smartphones track everything you do and everywhere you go Duh!

BTW as with other cell phones turning them "off" only puts them in a lower power mode. Remove the battery (if possible) to prevent all tracking.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3
reply to antdude

Apparently some people didn't realize that these devices only really go into a standby mode as that is a soft power button, as in controlled by software. If it has power it's operational.

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17

1 recommendation

reply to antdude

Yes, that's what Google's Android phones designed to do - to collect information about users. If you think something different, answer to yourself simple questions:
1. Does your phone have firewall that will help you to block applications from accessing the Internet?
2. Why applications do not have 'X' close facilities (close button, standard "Exit" menu, etc)?
3. Why lot of applications installed on Android phones request completely unnecessary permissions? For example, a flash light app may ask for network access, contacts data, your phone records, GPS data, etc and you can't limit any of those permissions if you want to install it.
4. Why you can't get control over your phone unless you jail break (root) it?

You don't own your own Android phone (in opposite, it owns your personal data), unless you root it. It's by design... And many users don't see that or don't bother to think about is at all.
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

Expand your moderator at work

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium

Re: Smartphone apps track users even when shut down

Then I should respond that any modern computer uses a soft power button, and is no longer a true switch, other than the switch on the back of their power supply.

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8

1 recommendation

reply to Anon

Somewhere, somehow, the word "sheeple" will be used ...

OZO
Premium

1 recommendation

I think I just did it:

said by OZO:

And many users don't see that or don't bother to think about is at all.

--

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
reply to EGeezer

Oh snap!

People don't bother to vet apps for the most part. I do, and very carefully. I don't click adverts. Ever. Never have.
--
Better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to EGeezer

I'm not a smartphone expert, but it seems these devices are so crippled in their internet security and user content and unsolicited connection control that they're useless for much of anything beyond taking pictures, casual email/text messages, viewing videos and uploading crap to Facebook or twitter.

If I were a business network or critical infrastructure security admin, the thought of allowing BYOD smartphones or other mobile devices access to my network would be a scary one.

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium

That's actually how it is now, and many of these phones tend not to get the updated firmware leaving them vulnerable to known exploits. The companies in general don't expect you to use a phone for more than one to two years, and might only get one firmware update. Even the popular iphones have this issue, but part of that is they are putting more powerful/different hardware in newer models too.

In general security is an afterthought when it comes to smartphones.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent out necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12

1 recommendation

reply to antdude

Yes i imagine they do and MOST PEOPLE WHO OWN THESE THINGS DONT CARE which is quite sad.....

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC
reply to EGeezer

Most corporate IT depts lock these down tight for BYOD's. Including the option to remotely wipe them if lost or stolen.
--
Better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
reply to Dude111

Re:  

said by Dude111:

Yes i imagine they do and MOST PEOPLE WHO OWN THESE THINGS DONT CARE which is quite sad.....

Do I get a prize?

»msg deleted
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 recommendation

said by StuartMW:

said by Dude111:

Do I get a prize?

»msg deleted

I think you get a free Android app. Assuming, of course, that you allow it to track you 24/7, log all your keystrokes, and take photos of you or your environs whenever it wishes.

That or you get several FREE CAPITAL LETTERS, since you've obviously used up some of your old ones. (Note: vowels will cost you for S&H, though).
--
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God!" -- P.Henry, 1775

Zach1
Premium
join:2006-11-26
NW Minnesota
reply to EGeezer

said by EGeezer:

Somewhere, somehow, the word "sheeple" will be used ...

Is iSheep close enough? Sorry....couldn't resist the temptation.

--
Zach

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17
reply to antdude

See what Facebook permissions are required to run on your Mobile

unoriginal
Premium
join:2000-07-12
San Diego, CA

1 recommendation

reply to Juggernaut

said by Juggernaut:

Oh snap!

People don't bother to vet apps for the most part. I do, and very carefully. I don't click adverts. Ever. Never have.

If you have rooted your phone I highly recommend AdAway, it blocks all the ads at the system level so you never see them.

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC

I haven't bothered to root yet, and I may not. Meh.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to siljaline

Yup i know,its pathetic and shows how MINDLESS ZOMBIES people have become! (And the elite LOVES IT!!!)

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

There are some that plug and pray, others learn how to lock their phones Dude111 See Profile just like anything else. I would be the latter

OZO
Premium
reply to siljaline

The whole permission system in Android is a big joke and I think that designers of Android OS are just laughing in our face, displaying those permissions, but allowing users to do absolutely nothing about them. User can't remove or block anything. Suggestion to ask application developers to remove some or all unnecessary permissions is naive and will achieve nothing IMHO. They do it for a reason, then know and will keep it that way... Permission management should be done by the developers of the OS, not by application developers. And control over permissions should be offered to users. But it looks like Android OS designers want to keep laughing at people, who are left with black/white choice - accept it or go away with nothing. Very funny (for them) ... but, at the same time, rather extremely sad (for us, users)
--

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX
kudos:4
reply to BlitzenZeus

said by BlitzenZeus:

....many of these phones tend not to get the updated firmware leaving them vulnerable to known exploits.

It is not only the phone firmware that might be exploited. The FBI computers also leak data.
quote:
Hackers associated with Anonymous claim to have swiped more than 12 million Apple iPhone and iPad device identifiers from an FBI computer.
Someone using the banner of AntiSec — a 14-month-old joint operation of Anonymous and LulzSec — posted a document to Pastebin on Monday that contained links to around a million Apple unique device identifiers (UDIDs). The anonymous poster said the release was intended to highlight the FBI's alleged tracking of Apple customers.
AntiSec said the hack, which apparently exploited a Java vulnerability, yielded a CSV file containing "a list of 12,367,232 Apple iOS devices including Unique Device Identifiers (UDID), user names, name of device, type of device, Apple Push Notification Service [APNS] tokens, zipcodes, cellphone numbers, addresses, etc".

»www.zdnet.com/fbi-hack-yielded-1···0003668/
--
Breaker One Nine.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1
reply to antdude

You could always write and market a firewall. Or just install a CM modded rom.
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

Drunkula
Premium
join:2000-06-12
Denton, TX
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Actually I believe it has iptables. Not sure if it was built in or an add-on but I did see mention of it. It is Linux after all...
--
There are 10 types of people that understand binary numbers. Those that do - and those that do not...

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to OZO

Did you read my reply to antdude See Profile ? OZO See Profile

SafireDonkey
Premium
join:2006-10-29

1 recommendation

Oh well, 99.99% of todays people don't even know that their TV is sending what-they-have-been-looking-at-what-time behind their backs too. Who cares, right ?

OZO
Premium
reply to Drunkula

said by Drunkula:

Actually I believe it has iptables. Not sure if it was built in or an add-on but I did see mention of it. It is Linux after all...

Not all Android builds include iptables. For example, HTC Aria / Android 2.1 doesn't. When you try to run DroidWall (third party firewall app), it returns error:
"Error applying iptables rules.
Exit code 1.

iptables v1.4.10
iptables: No chain/target/
match by that name.
Unless you root the phone and install special build ROM with kernel, built with support for the "owner" netfilter kernel module, you will not be able to use iptables firewall.

--

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to SafireDonkey

It would be like plugging a Virgin PC to the Net totally exposed to Android malware

Floriana

join:2012-05-23
reply to antdude

The world is crazy. No privacy! The world is terrible. No privacy!