how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mgsports

join:2004-11-11
Olathe, KS

Comcast Sports Nets

No more meaning name of Channel has gone back to FSN.

psujim

join:2007-10-10
Reading, PA

said by Mgsports:

No more meaning name of Channel has gone back to FSN.

huh?
Expand your moderator at work

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast

Re: Comcast Sports Nets

Would be nice if we had comcast sportsnet pittsburgh and comcast sports net ohio valley.
Maybe show some local high school events on ohio valley and the pirates and penguins on pittsburgh.
But root sports just signed new deals with the pirates and penguins I do believe.

dragonphan

join:2011-07-28
Lafayette Hill, PA
reply to Mgsports

What city are you talking about. Comcast SportsNet name still exists in most cities.

Mgsports

join:2004-11-11
Olathe, KS
reply to Mgsports

»radiodiscussions.com/smf/index.p···218820.0

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:5

FYI - I found this recent item on the "Awful Announcing" sports blog site about the Comcast SportsNet (CSN) / Fox Sports Net (FSN) situation:

Comcast Sports Networks drop Fox Sports Net programming
By Matt Yoder, AwfulAnnouncing.com - August 15, 2012
»www.awfulannouncing.com/2012-art···ing.html

psujim

Reading, PA

Ahh ok. So they aren't showing the FSN programming anymore. That's a bummer. Here in PA, the Comcast Network secondary channel would often show Pac-12 Football and Big 12 Football on Saturdays, since it was really just a glorified overflow channel.

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Dan Patrick Show is still on directv.

Will CSN Chicago still show college football from our state and local teams?

mikedz4

Weirton, WV

if it's from fox sports then probably not. Will probably just show paid programming instead.

dragonphan

join:2011-07-28
Lafayette Hill, PA
reply to Mgsports

Comcast SportsNet is rebranding itself with the NBC Logo, so it makes sense that they're distancing themselves from Fox. NBC is putting a lot of money into their new NBC Sports Network, so I wouldn't be surprised if NBC starts putting out regional sports content to air on Comcast SportsNet to become a direct competitor with Fox Sports Net.

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Well Comcast does not have full control of all there CSN's and local in market college sports needs have been filled by some CSN's take the place of the old FSN feeds.

But what about Comcast SportsNet Bay Area that is 25% fox??

Now maybe the CSN's can pick up CSS feeds.

psujim

Reading, PA
reply to dragonphan

I noticed the rebranding of CSN Philly. The new logo, and the NBC Peacock with CSN on the bottom line, which now resembles the bottom line on NBC Sports Network and NBC.

The Phillies graphics still use the old CSN logo package. I assume that the NHL (if they play) and NBA coverage this fall will use a new graphics package that is closer to NBC and NBC Sports Network. When they made the change to the current package, it was during NHL and NBA season and MLB picked it up the following spring.

psujim

Reading, PA
reply to Mgsports

Actually, they are showing the North Penn-Archbishop Wood high school football game from this weekend right now on Comcast Network, and lo and behold, it uses the NBC Sports Network graphics bar at the top of the screen.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ
reply to Mgsports

BTW – For those subscribers in Southern California, this update was just posted to the "Lakers Network to Xfinity?" thread in the Comcast Help and Support Forum (»forums.comcast.com/t5/Channels-a···/1386951 ) on the possibility of Comcast carrying Los Angeles Lakers games from that area’s Time Warner Cable SportsNet:

edited 09-13-2012 03:24 PM

As an update I have been informed that our programming team is in talks with the Time Warner Sportsnet channels for possible carriage in southern California. I don't have any more information than that. Once I receive [additional] information I will be sure and update this thread.

Thanks for your patience.

Also see this article:

Clock runs down for Lakers' TV carriage deals
By Lisa Richwine, Reuters.com – September 13, 2012
»in.reuters.com/article/2012/09/1···20120912

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

Latest news on the Comcast SportsNet Houston and Time Warner Cable SportsNet (LA Lakers games in SoCal) RSNs:

Empty Seats on Opening Night for Startup RSNs
Comcast SportsNet Houston, TWC Lakers' Nets Still Seeking Carriage Contracts

By Mike Reynolds, Multichannel News - October 1, 2012
»www.multichannel.com/distributio···s/139556

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ
reply to telcodad

FYI - The latest status on Comcast carrying the Los Angeles Lakers local games from that area’s Time Warner Cable SportsNet (»forums.comcast.com/t5/Channels-a···1#M26740 ):

10-05-2012 11:02 AM

The conversations and discussions for carriage of this network are still ongoing.

The pre-season games are exclusive to the new Time Warner Sports Network that is not currently available on Comcast.

The first three games of the Lakers' regular season are scheduled for national telecast.

October 30th against Dallas is scheduled for TNT
October 31st against Portland is scheduled for NBA TV
November 2nd against the Clippers is scheduled for ESPN.

»www.nba.com/lakers/schedule

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

A recent LA Times article on the TWC SportsNet RSN situation:

Lakers games become can't-watch-TV
Time Warner Cable, the team's new $3-billion TV partner, hasn't been able to convince other providers to carry the games because of cost. It's another example of how ugly the sports TV business can be.

By Bill Plaschke, Los Angeles Times - October 6, 2012
»articles.latimes.com/2012/oct/06···20121007

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

1 edit

Here's the latest status on Comcast carrying the Los Angeles Lakers local games on the Time Warner Cable SportsNet (»forums.comcast.com/t5/Channels-a···1#M27123 ):
10-16-2012 03:05 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
lorenzo93436 wrote:

so more likely its gona be a subscription channel, the key thing is how much extra the channel ks gona cost, the sticking point is the 3.95 per customer/provider that twc is asking for, i read andother article it said that laker fans booed every twc commercial that was shown on the score board saturday, its gpna get interesting in a couple of weeks so we will see.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Likely not going to be a subscription channel; that is the price that reportedly Time Warner wants the video providers to pay per month for each customer (whether the customer wants the channel or not).

All customers eventually end up subsidizing the relatively high costs of offering that channel.

I don't believe that the channel can be contractually offered as a single subscription or premium option; (that would be ideal); that would go against their business plan of reaching as many eyeballs as possible for advertising and getting the most dollars across all customers.

EDIT:
10-17-2012 05:03 PM
hunter103805 wrote:

So you think that this channel would more likely be available in a basic/extended cable package like FSN, if anything?

Yes. That is my own belief based on past experiences.

Of course a deal still needs to get done that allows for any level of carriage to happen.

Also, there is a discussion forum about whether DIRECTV, and other TV providers, should carry the Lakers channel on the TVPredictions.com site:

Should DIRECTV Carry Pac 12, Lakers?
By Phillip Swann, TVPredictions.com - October 15, 2012
»www.tvpredictions.com/laforum101512.htm

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

Not much progress yet in having other cable providers carrying the Lakers games on TWC's SportsNet:

TV/LAKERS: Deals with providers may not be close
By Jim Alexander, The Press-Enterprise - October 25, 2012
»blog.pe.com/jim-alexander/2012/1···e-close/

See also: »forums.comcast.com/t5/Channels-a···5#M27423

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

An article on the FieceCable site today about this and other RSN carriage issues:

SportsNet, MSG disputes highlight Time Warner Cable's evolving views on sports tiers
By Steve Donohue, FierceCable - October 25, 2012
»www.fiercecable.com/story/sports···12-10-25

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

Deals to carry TWC's SportsNet RSN are being closed now:

Charter, FiOS Suit Up For Lakers Sports Nets
RSN Slated to Launch Oct. 31 on MSO's Systems; Telco Timing Yet to be Released

By Mike Farrell, Multichannel News - October 26, 2012
»www.multichannel.com/cable-opera···s/140015

AT&T U-Verse Signs TWC SportsNet Deal
Third Carriage Deal for RSN in Two Days

By Mike Farrell, Multichannel News - October 27, 2012
»www.multichannel.com/telco-tv/at···l/140035

mikedz4

Weirton, WV

Still neither satellite company or comcast have the channels yet

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

Cox reached an agreement to carry TWC's SportsNet earlier this week (»www.latimes.com/entertainment/en···51.story), but other distributors are still at the negotiating table:

DirecTV still not carrying Lakers; CEO blasts sports channels
By Joe Flint, The Los Angeles Times - November 7, 2012
»www.latimes.com/entertainment/en···23.story

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ
reply to mikedz4

said by mikedz4:

Still neither satellite company or comcast have the channels yet

DirecTV has now signed, leaving Dish Network and Comcast as the last big holdouts:

DirecTV reaches deal with Time Warner Cable for Lakers channel
By Joe Flint, The Los Angeles Times - November 15, 2012
»www.latimes.com/entertainment/en···75.story

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

Geez, so Comcast doesn't count as a "Major" MSO? I guess they only have a small number of customers in the SoCal region.

Dish Network remains last major SportsNet holdout, following DirecTV deal
DirecTV subscribers have missed 7 Lakers games

By Steve Donohue, FierceCable - November 16, 2012
»www.fiercecable.com/story/dish-n···12-11-16

The Q

join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA

said by telcodad:

Geez, so Comcast doesn't count as a "Major" MSO? I guess they only have a small number of customers in the SoCal region.

I think it is a fairly small area of southern california; santa barbara and santa maria areas.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ
reply to telcodad

Don't know if any Lakers fans with Comcast service can "exploit this situation" as described in this article, but it may be worth a try:

Making the Lakers TV mess work for you
Showdowns with regional sports providers are here to stay, so figure out how to exploit such situations.

By Chris Erskine, The Los Angeles Times - November 15, 2012
»www.latimes.com/sports/basketbal···l.column

From the article:

So let Dish Network make its noble last stand — the NBA season doesn't really start till Christmas Day anyway.
:
Till then, what's in it for you and me?

To keep me from jumping, Dish offered three months of its multisport Red Zone package, plus a choice of Cinemax or Starz for three months.

Note that Dish won't necessarily call you with these compensation offers. You have to reach out. And if you do, it's pure street ball.

Before DirecTV reached its agreement Thursday, it was doing handsprings to keep customers. A friend bargained for the NFL package that gives him all Sunday games, plus approximately $25 off his monthly bill for six months.

Point is, these showdowns with regional sports providers are here to stay. So don't just sit back and mutter over these stupid disputes. Exploit them.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

An article on the Philadelphia Inquirer's site yesterday about the soaring prices for sports programming rights:

About half of cable-TV bills go to sports
By Bob Fernandez, The Philadelphia Inquirer - November 19, 2012
»articles.philly.com/2012-11-19/n···e-sports

[Make sure to click through all 5 pages of the article.]

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ
reply to The Q

said by The Q:

said by telcodad:

I think it is a fairly small area of southern california; santa barbara and santa maria areas.

I guess my question has been answered in the latest status update posted to the "Lakers Network to Xfinity?" thread in the Comcast Help and Support Forum (»forums.comcast.com/t5/Channels-a···7#M28236 ):
From ComcastTeds
11-26-2012 1:29 PM

Unfortunately, I don't have an update or timetable to provide. The conversations and discussions for carriage of this network are still ongoing. Thanks for your continued patience.

I believe that Comcast usually isn't mentioned in a lot of the local news articles on this topic as we have very few customers in this area of southern California compared to Charter, Cox, Time Warner and Brighthouse.