share rss forum feed

ctgreybeard
Old dogs can learn new tricks
Premium
join:2001-11-13
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast

[Signals] Just thought I's post some GOOD stats!

Click for full size
Motorola 6120
There have been some complaints about Comcast occasionally here. I just thought I'd post some GOOD stats and reliability.
--
Old dogs can learn new tricks!

ctgreybeard
Premium
Bethel, CT
This is, by the way, 22 1/2 days of uptime ....
--

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
kudos:1
reply to ctgreybeard
Your upstream is quite high, though your downstream power and SNR are good.

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA

1 edit
reply to ctgreybeard
I wouldn't exactly call those "GOOD".
--
»www.VAJeeps.com

ctgreybeard
Premium
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Oedipus
said by Oedipus:

Yes, but after two calls to Comcast I understand that my Upstream is "good" and "no" they won't send someone out.

And, in fact, my connection has been Very Stable (knock on Wood) for the three weeks it has been up.
--

Oedipus

said by ctgreybeard:

said by Oedipus:

Yes, but after two calls to Comcast I understand that my Upstream is "good" and "no" they won't send someone out.

And, in fact, my connection has been Very Stable (knock on Wood) for the three weeks it has been up.

Up until recently, my signals have been terrible and yet my connection has been completely stable. The presence or lack of stability doesn't necessarily mean the line stats are good or bad.

My current signals are closer to what would be considered "good":

Darknessfall
Premium
join:2012-08-17
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse
Click for full size
"Pokes into thread"

ExoticFish

Stuarts Draft, VA
reply to ctgreybeard
said by ctgreybeard See ProfileYes, but after two calls to Comcast I understand that my Upstream is "good" and "no" they won't send someone out.[/BQUOTE :

Good meaning pushing the limit ?
--
»www.VAJeeps.com

pferrie3

join:2005-01-27
Boston, MA
reply to Darknessfall
way to be the only person on that node

karmaghost

join:2005-01-14
State College, PA
reply to ctgreybeard
I've just read up on signals and from what I understand, these would be considered "pretty good," yes? Though I'm on "Blast! 50" in Central, PA; should CH4 Upstream be "not locked" like that or am I ok? I do get the advertised 10 Mbps.

Darknessfall
Premium
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to pferrie3
Sadly, our neighbors just got Comcast Internet too I believe(I saw a truck/Gateway SSID come up). There's only two others in our whole neighborhood with Comcast(One all the way down the street and one down the road) while the rest are AT&T U-verse. Darn you neighbors! They better have a horrible connection or go back! I want a free node :P. If more people switch to Comcast I'll cry lol.

Oh and karmaghost it's fine. It just means your modem is capable of 4 upstream channels but only 3 are available. I only have 1 in my area.

Oedipus

reply to ctgreybeard
Yeah, very few people have all 4 upstreams.

karmaghost

join:2005-01-14
State College, PA
reply to Darknessfall
I see. I'm curious, from the information you provided, how did he know that you're the only person on your node?

Darknessfall
Premium
Not sure lol. Maybe my stats were good or something.

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
reply to Oedipus
not with 3 db between your docsis carriers...
--
I'm better than you!

Darknessfall
Premium
reply to ctgreybeard
I'm curious, what's the best signal stats supposed to be closest to?

anon6234

@mich.net
Good would be >35 SNR downstream. 0db power level would be ideal. (+-7 is perfectly fine) Upstream should be 50db otherwise you start to get into intermittent issues. The thing to remember is that signals fluctuate throughout the year so even though 52db is perfectly reasonable now, if it turns into 55db later you're going to have issues.

The one thing the modem doesn't measure is upstream SNR so it's always possible to have good power levels but have low signal to noise. I don't know exactly what numbers you would need but there is a difference between a clean 52db power level and a noisy one.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10
reply to pferrie3
said by pferrie3:

way to be the only person on that node

How could that ever be known by the RF signal stats alone ?

Oedipus

reply to gar187er
said by gar187er:

not with 3 db between your docsis carriers...

Yeah I know. That's why I said "closer to good."

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to ctgreybeard
said by ctgreybeard:

There have been some complaints about Comcast occasionally here. I just thought I'd post some GOOD stats and reliability.

The problem with that 52dB upstream is what happens when upstream bonding is enabled in your area? The max limit for 3-stream is 51dB for 32 and 64QAM, 52dB for 16QAM. 2-stream is 54/55dB. You may have issues, usually that nasty T4 timeout problem.

ctgreybeard
Premium
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
Well, you may be right. But Comcast isn't willing to come out to look at it at the moment. I suspect when the upstream bonding happens here they will be willing. Last summer I was suffering at 55-57dB with reboots galore to show for it. But they did send a truck and changed a tap (I think) in the amp. And recently they seem to have improved the downstream; I was getting a lot of correctables, 1,000's per day, and now it's barely a thousand or so a day. In fact, for the first few days of the last three weeks there were 0 correctables across the board.
--

pclover

join:2008-08-02
Santa Cruz, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to ctgreybeard
I would contact Comcast Steve if they wont send somebody out. 52 dBmV on the upstream is NOT! Okay. You are right on the boarder line of out of spec with the swings it could be going out of spec.

I have a 3 dB attenuator on my splitter so 6.5 dB of total attenuation.

Still no upgraded speed tiers in my area yet. Still on 16/2 Blast.

JigglyWiggly

join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA

3 edits
you call those gud?
i have some very good signals here

pings are actually good
almost as good as DSL for games here in Merced Ca
i originally wanted to dorm just for the internet gigabit internet... but this is almost good enough, gj comcast. also noty to poop roomates who don't wash their hands after using the toilet

in pleasanton at my parents house
a lot more jitter, worse routing. Ah ye, gota love the consistency.
mediocre signals here

ps TC, your signals suck
not sure why you guys care unless it's screwing with your internet though. I want a stable netgraph in games with 0 jitter
quake live demands it >:|

Darknessfall
Premium
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse
@ JigglyWiggly

ExoticFish

Stuarts Draft, VA
reply to ctgreybeard

Darknessfall
Premium
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse

>:(

I have no idea but I have horrible routing in my area for non Comcast servers. I have 44ish latency no matter if I'm connected to a Chicago or New York server : /. I even have about 40 latency pinging my something else in my house off Comcast's network :/.

- Sorry for derail

thatguyzp

join:2005-02-22
Smyrna, TN
reply to ctgreybeard

My modem stats, pretty decent I suppose, the connection is solid anyway.

JigglyWiggly

join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA

1 edit
reply to Darknessfall
well
not as good as you guys...
but

but good enough
at pleasanton i get like 12ms jitter
what fail comcast

i think it's because i am at the end of the node or something, because my upstream power level is so low over there.
My friend when playing games who lives like a quarter of a mile from me gets 10ms less ping in games. But over there I have a DSL line so idc, I get lower ping than him with the powa of DSL. pfsense firewall rules are nice

Though just having 1 fiber connection would be ideal

Comcast steve said that jitter was normal
my ass
I want a flat netgraph, though my netgraph is pretty much flat here in Merced CA, so I'm happy.
What wud make me really happy is no cap and the 50->105 for free

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
reply to ctgreybeard
My modem's been running great since Comcast fixed my modem on my account. As far as I know, there's no splitters on my line, just RG-6 and RG-59 with one or two couplers. My modem's uptime is just over 11 days.

Woot!

--
KI6RIT