how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

NuclearXP

join:2012-04-12
Trenton, MI
reply to alan92rttt

Re: Anyone ditching WOW Ultra TV equip. for Ceton?

Alan - good question, hopefully someone can answer that, although I'm pretty sure they encrypt that and use some sort of HDMI check to ensure you're not copying it. Also, I'm a bit unsure how you'd get an HDMI output from your UltraTV gateway/player into a PC?

Another thought I'm pondering is just what benefits the Q offers over just buying a PCI-E adapter and running your video services through a PC? I have a very fast server I could just leave on to serve up TV to my XBOXes and tons of server disks to record content to. This would even facilitate leaving my DLNA server on all the time that runs on the same server anyway. So I guess to re-ask the question, what does the Q get over a MediaPC setup? Different menu? Search? Anything scheudling related? I think internet TV is a moot feature because TVersity/PlayON could serve up the same content now that a MediaPC is an option.

alan92rttt

join:2012-02-27
reply to NuclearXP
I'd pull the ultra videos with the analog HD output from ultra.

The advantages are probably power usage as its probably a RISC based system so it will run cooler and use less power then a PC. It looks like its a DVR that players can connect to so you would have it in the living room and player(s) elsewhere in the house. If it acts as a good DNLA client that would be nice. My blu-ray player is a DNLA client but anything that’s not a MPG needs to be re-encoded and that kills performance.

Roll your own Media systems can be more complex for users that are not as "tech" oriented. I used to have a media PC and prior to HD I has a Media PC and went through several software/hardware setups. Some of them were easy to use but twitchy7 others did not pass the wife test.

TKJunkMail
Premium
join:2005-12-09
reply to NuclearXP
I've been using WOW with a Ceton card for a few months now (and for over a year with Insight before that). Everything has been working fine. Never had any issues, aside from the occasional picture breakup.

WOW marks its channels Copy Freely, so you can watch the recordings on any PC running Windows 7 (and maybe Vista / XP) by just opening the file in Windows Media Player. You can also use the Media Center Extender functionality in the XBox 360, if you'd rather go that route.

TKJunkMail
Premium
join:2005-12-09
reply to NuclearXP
said by NuclearXP:

Another thought I'm pondering is just what benefits the Q offers over just buying a PCI-E adapter and running your video services through a PC? I have a very fast server I could just leave on to serve up TV to my XBOXes and tons of server disks to record content to. This would even facilitate leaving my DLNA server on all the time that runs on the same server anyway. So I guess to re-ask the question, what does the Q get over a MediaPC setup? Different menu? Search? Anything scheudling related? I think internet TV is a moot feature because TVersity/PlayON could serve up the same content now that a MediaPC is an option.

The advantage of the Q over building your own machine comes down to how much you want to mess with it. The Q is more akin to a cable box than a PC, from a hardware standpoint. It still runs Windows Media Center and everything that goes with it, but you have something that is supported by one vendor. I'm hoping they'll have Netflix, Hulu, etc. clients included as well, but nothing has been said in that regard yet.

qbwaggle

join:2012-05-31
Troy, MI
reply to NuclearXP
said by NuclearXP:

Others have already answered, but here's my take:

Advantages of Ceton Q over PC w/ PCIe tuner
- Less complex setup (plug-n-play)
- Blu-ray integration (I don't think you could natively play BD from WMC... I could be wrong)
- Probably lower power / quieter ... won't know until it's released
- Looks nicer in your entertainment center
- 6 tuners (InfiniTV PCIe tuner only has 4 tuners)

Advantages of PC w/ PCIe tuner over Ceton Q
- Potentially more "hackable" to add more features/plugins/codec support/etc
- Cheaper (especially if you already have a server or spare PC)

Gremzor
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Melvindale, MI
reply to NuclearXP
I can confirm you do indeed get a $7 credit if you don't rent any boxes from WoW. I am running an HTPC I built with an infiniTV 4, and SB6121. You can actually dedicate one (or more) of the tuners on the infiniTV to another computer on the network and watch TV with out an extender. As far as I know it is just basic functionality though, I don't think you can watch shows recorded on the main PC.

adam1991

join:2012-06-16
Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
reply to NuclearXP
I've been running the Ceton tuner card for 18 months now, ever since the end of analog here in Columbus.

I like it a lot. I spent the money up front to build the PC and buy the tuner and a couple of XBoxes to uses as extenders, but don't regret it one bit.

Think of the Q/Echo as a TIVO alternative.

I'll be beta testing the Echo here in a few weeks. Although, I've gotten used to the XBox having an optical drive, because I still use actual DVDs.

NuclearXP

Trenton, MI
Adam do you have any further input? I'm looking to do the same with a central server as the TV tuner/dvr/movie server.

I have a large movie library that makes movie browsing a bit pokey. I'm a bit apprehensive that the girls won't like the xbox-extender UI for TV browsing and recording. On the bright side, I was able to stream a blu-ray rip wirelessly so I have that covered.

adam1991

Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
Well, I use my own cable modem and the cableCARD rental is only $3/month.

My family has never expressed any issues using the extender UI for TV.

Were you thinking of not hooking your DVR/movie server up to the TV, but instead using solely extenders? I wouldn't do that, myself. There's flexibility available at the DVR that isn't passed through to the extender.

BUT: I will know more once the Ceton Echo is in my hands. We're all hoping some of those limitations disappear with the Echo. Head to thegreenbutton.tv and join in the discussions.

NuclearXP

Trenton, MI
Yes server would be headless. Two 360 extenders and one echo. As long as we can schedule individual and series recordings and play them back we will be happy

adam1991

Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
Oh yeah, you can do that.

I like browsing the web now and then, doing YouTube and the like, and of course I like the Netflix capability. With XBox, you pay extra for that--or else have a separate box to do Netflix (optical player or Roku or whatever).