Search similar:

uniqs
WhatHappened
join:2004-08-06
Waseca, MN

WhatHappened

[Cable HSI] Channel Bonding

Speed Test 9/3/12
My Docsis 3 modem quit channel bonding after the last outage in Waseca. I have powered cycled the modem and it will only connect one down-stream channel.

I have VIP internet.

Model: DPC3000
Vendor: Cisco
Hardware Revision: 1.1
Serial Number: XXXXXXXXX
MAC Address:: 00:XX:Xx:XX:XX:xx
Bootloader Revision: 1.0.0.4
Current Software Revision: dpc3000-v303r2391-091106a
Firmware Name: dpc3000-v303r2391-091106a.bin
Firmware Build Time: 20091107084049
Cable Modem Status: Operational

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Downstream Channels
Power Level Signal to Noise Ratio
Channel 0: 0.2 dBmV 36.0 dBmV
Channel 1: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dBmV
Channel 2: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dBmV
Channel 3: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dBmV

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Upstream Channels
Power Level
Channel 0: 43.5000 dBmV
Channel 1: 0.0000 dBmV
Channel 2: 0.0000 dBmV
Channel 3: 0.0000 dBmV

Chad can you take a look into this issue? Was some equipment at the head-end not restarted correctly?

Speed test are slow:

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

Not seeing anything in the area, send me a PM and I can take a look.
WhatHappened
Waseca, MN

WhatHappened

Did you find anything (I sent the PM this morning)?

Thanks!
WhatHappened

WhatHappened

Mediacom, Can you please fix the channel bonding??

Here are my Sunday evening speeds for VIP internet 11/25/12:

WhatHappened

WhatHappened

Well Channel Bonding is working again in Waseca, MN. Now they are bonding 4 channels on the down stream instead of 3 channel like in the past. (It only took Mediacom 5 months to address this).

I wonder what the issue was?? (Chad do you know?)

The SNR is lower than it used to be though.

Power Level Signal to Noise Ratio
Channel 0: 1.4 dBmV 33.7 dBmV
Channel 1: 2.5 dBmV 33.5 dBmV
Channel 2: 2.3 dBmV 33.6 dBmV
Channel 3: 2.2 dBmV 33.6 dBmV

Upstream Channels

Power Level
Channel 0: 41.3000 dBmV
Channel 1: 0.0000 dBmV
Channel 2: 0.0000 dBmV
Channel 3: 0.0000 dBmV

Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune

Premium Member

Yeah, that SNR is looking close to borderline. What does it show if you reset/reboot the modem?
WhatHappened
Waseca, MN

WhatHappened

SNR values are the same after a modem reboot.
WhatHappened

WhatHappened

Well back to no bonding again in Waseca (It has been about a week).

I wonder why Mediacom can't keep their system working consistently?

bulletsam
join:2008-04-08
Charleston, IL

bulletsam to WhatHappened

to WhatHappened
said by WhatHappened:

Well Channel Bonding is working again in Waseca, MN. Now they are bonding 4 channels on the down stream instead of 3 channel like in the past. (It only took Mediacom 5 months to address this).

On this topic...

Why can't Mediacom repair channel bonding in our area, Chad? I have yet to get a honest answer from anyone about this.

WhatHappened lives in a town with a estimated population of 9,477 and has 4 channel bonding. Our town, with a population 21,838 (add 10,417 more for college students) has only 3. We had 4, but they won't repair it.

Why? This "We only use what we need" I've been told by maintenance is BS, in my opinion.
pjschwartz
join:2005-03-25
Sun City, AZ

pjschwartz to WhatHappened

to WhatHappened
I'm in Savage, MN. I also lost channel bonding this past Monday. However, rebooting the modem resolved it.
WhatHappened
Waseca, MN

WhatHappened

said by pjschwartz:

I'm in Savage, MN. I also lost channel bonding this past Monday. However, rebooting the modem resolved it.

I have rebooted the modem multiple times this week and that has no affect on the bonding (Stuck on one channel down).
WhatHappened

WhatHappened to bulletsam

to bulletsam
said by bulletsam:

said by WhatHappened:

On this topic...

Why can't Mediacom repair channel bonding in our area, Chad? I have yet to get a honest answer from anyone about this.

WhatHappened lives in a town with a estimated population of 9,477 and has 4 channel bonding. Our town, with a population 21,838 (add 10,417 more for college students) has only 3. We had 4, but they won't repair it.

Why? This "We only use what we need" I've been told by maintenance is BS, in my opinion.

The size of city doesn't really matter, it is the customer density per node. So your larger town could have twice as many nodes as my town with less density of customers per node.

I think it is/was about 500 customer per node.

mediacom
@mchsi.com

mediacom to WhatHappened

Anon

to WhatHappened
try swapping the modem we have had a few firmware issues that cause the modem to drop to one downstream channel

pm tech for mediacom

mediacomAlan
@mchsi.com

mediacomAlan to WhatHappened

Anon

to WhatHappened
please call in for a trouble call and have the modem swapped out sounds like a firmware problem that is causing the modem to pull one downstream instead of all
GLIMMER
join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER

why is it the modem is always the problem. How about there could be a problem at the CMTS

SHoTTa35
@kfvaluation.com

SHoTTa35

Anon

If that was the case the hundreds/thousands of people connected tot hat CMTS would all be having the same issue They'd know about it when EVERYONE was calling in with problems from a certain area.

Not saying I agree it's the modem but it's usually not something as central as a CMTS.
GLIMMER
join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER

let me restate that Node or CMTS

and it could go unnoticed as most people dont yet have D3 modems in these small markets. Plus most people dont even know what channel bonding is.

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

In this case we have 1900+ modems that are wideband and bonding multiple channels. Due to this it would not indicate an area wide channel bonding issue. Since we can't see any area wide issues with channel bonding we have to attack the problem by going to the individual and working backwards. It could be the node or something larger, but with his many D3 modems and most of them showing proper channel bonding, I can't say it is an area issue (speaking about the original post issues). We did have a modem issue, so we would need to check this out as well. When we get reports of issues channel bonding, checking the area is one of the first things we do. If you are noticing an issue channel bonding, please send me a PM and I will check it out for anyone who does.
WhatHappened
Waseca, MN

WhatHappened

I don't know if my posting here or PM to MediacomChad caused any changes, but my modem has been bonding 4 channels again for over 48hours.

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

Good to hear! Let me know if you have any other questions or issues.
hotshot187
join:2008-04-07
Webster, NY

hotshot187

You are losing channel bonding because you're signal noise ratio is too low. Swapping the modem is not the cause of your issue. You need a tech out to your house to fix the issue.
WhatHappened
Waseca, MN

WhatHappened

said by hotshot187:

You are losing channel bonding because you're signal noise ratio is too low. Swapping the modem is not the cause of your issue. You need a tech out to your house to fix the issue.

I have not lost bonding since my last post. The SNR (although lower then I like) is well within the modem's range. The lowest reading has been 33.5dB. The SNR went down when they fixed the huge gain tilt on video signals from low to high frequencies. The tilt compensation that lowers lower frequencies must cause some loss in the cable modem frequencies (which for me have always been low frequencies.) You can see that I still have lots of signal strength on these frequencies > 2dBm.

256 QAM: 30 dB minimum. 33 dB or higher recommended. (often used in downstream channels)

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

It's great to hear that you have not lost channel bonding for awhile now.

Anonymous88
Premium Member
join:2004-06-01
IA

Anonymous88 to WhatHappened

Premium Member

to WhatHappened
Mediacom guidlines for SNR are

Downstream 32 or better
Upstream 27 or better