uniqs
share rss forum feed

KahunaNui

join:2000-05-01
Fayetteville, AR
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

Upgrading Zywall 2+s - USG 20 or 50?

It seems since bandwidth has gone up that now the 2+ are the bottleneck. Wondering if a USG20 would be fast enough or should we be looking at the 50? Simple SB setup - only 2 users at any time @ each location. Cable rated speed is 30 down\approx 5 up. Don't see us going past 50 down even with upgrade on plan. Not considering at the moment due to lack of funds. Would like to use the 20 'cause they are about $50 less.

Can't seem to find a clear answer of difference throughput difference between the 20 and the 50 - I'm guessing they are pretty close? And even if the 50 was a bit faster, not sure it would matter given our advertised speed?

I remember going through this when we upgraded the 2 to 2+.

Thanks for any advice!

Brano
I hate Vogons
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON
kudos:10

See »Re: USG series FW 3.00 Comparison

I'd recommend USG50.

Zemplar

join:2011-11-22
Lake Mary, FL
reply to KahunaNui

My USG20W can easily do 40-41 down on my 40 rated line.

But if you don't need the wireless, the USG50 isn't much more than the USG20 though.

KahunaNui

Fayetteville, AR
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by Zemplar:

My USG20W can easily do 40-41 down on my 40 rated line.

But if you don't need the wireless, the USG50 isn't much more than the USG20 though.

Thanks Zemplar!
No, we don't need wireless on any locations. But isn't the usg20 (without the 'W') as fast as the usg50 in throughput?
On some locations we actually prefer the connections in the rear of the device like the 2+, and of course it's about $50 less which would help a lot.

If the speed is the same as [or close to] the usg50, we can get the usg20 for some of those locals. Also, are there speed differences between the usg20W and usg20?

Thanks again for the help!

KahunaNui

Fayetteville, AR
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

1 recommendation

reply to KahunaNui

So far, testing only the USG20 and see a marked speed increase right away. The fan is very quiet and it seems to run pretty cool.

So far so good... seems very solid. Highly recommended upgrade from a 2+. VERY LARGE learning curve... makes it more of a challenge.

Thanks for all the great help up here!

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI
kudos:1
reply to KahunaNui

I went from 2+ to USG20. Definitely a worthy upgrade. Lets hope the cable co pushes us from a USG20 to something else in few years!

JJJohnson

join:2001-08-25
Fort Collins, CO
reply to KahunaNui

I'm having zero problems with 25/4 service through my 2 Plus. At what speed are you bottlenecking?

KahunaNui

Fayetteville, AR
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by JJJohnson:

I'm having zero problems with 25/4 service through my 2 Plus. At what speed are you bottlenecking?

Sorry I somehow missed this. Actually, this could have been an impulsive move, as the speed was pretty darn decent with the 2+.
I was a bit 'paranoid' about it being we are still using the older but super stable SB 5120.
They did slightly increase speed of our plan to 28\5 (35 w/speedboost). I somehow felt I should upgrade it.
I'm not usually like that at all, but I like Zyxel so much I had an itch that I needed to scratch.

We also thought about increasing to higher tier plan when we can afford it. But I realize that would mean having to upgrade the modem.
And I'm not really sure how much faster an upgrade would be or whether it would be worth it.

I will say that this usg20 has been very solid and stable so far. Keeping the 'old faithful' 2+ as a backup for now.
May also use on the road with the laptop to replace my old P1.