Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

cooldude9919

join:2000-05-29
kudos:5

3 recommendations

My Structured Wiring Enclosure

Thought i would put this in its own thread for those interested. Project came about in that we had some water in the basement so i pulled out the old wood panels and was going to put in drywall. I thought i would add a few LV jacks downstairs, then that somehow turned into rewiring the entire house. 2 of the 3 bedrooms had to coax in them, and most of the other cables where fed from outside and looks crappy (split foyer so no easy way).
Ended up putting the panel in a closet downstairs (only good spot out of the way and near power) and ran 3 3/4 smurf pipe up to the attic and dropped everything down in the walls. I probably spent around 8-9 hours total up there, around 7 in the past 5 days. Really happy with how its looking so far, just need to get power in there, get my switch mounted, and my MTA phone modem from charter.

Cool thing about the phone piece is it uses rj45 so any jack can be phone or internet, i just have to patch it into the given spot.

Panel has the following

2 rg6 and 2 cat5e per bedroom x 3 rooms
2 rg6 1 cat5e living room upstairs
1 cat5e kitchen phone
3 rg6 3 cat5e family room basement
5 rg6 and 2 cat5e outside to the old box to extend a few things to the panel (1 jack i couldnt get to from the attic 1 cat5e 1 rg6, 1 rg6 for charter, 1 for cat5e ATT, and 3 for satellite).

Almost wish i had gotten a little bigger panel with all the wire on there now, but it should be OK. Not worth going cat6 for me because of the limited conduit space i could get up to the attic.

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10

Looks nice and clean, but why are your outlets ground up .

Seriously though, it looks nice.

cooldude9919

said by sk1939:

Looks nice and clean, but why are your outlets ground up .

Seriously though, it looks nice.

Cheap monoprice screws i guess? I did them by hand and it did that so i couldnt have been much easier on them. I dont really like the gold coax F outlet either (didnt pay much attention to that when i bought them), so i may get silver at some point and get some better screws too.

I also dont really dig some of the sharp angles i had to do on the coax, but i couldnt really figure out a better way to get everything in there and tied together correctly.

MrFixit1

join:1999-11-26
Madison, WI

May be wrong , but believe sk1939 is referring to the 120 outlets being mounted ground pin up

Do we really want to restart the debate on if the ground pin should be up or down ? If we do I vote for up .

Your project looks nice . May be a little work now , but will really pay off in the future .

cooldude9919

reply to cooldude9919

Ah i guess i read that the wrong way. I put new outlets in around 6 years ago or so i was doing so much stuff i probably didnt pay attention to that at all!

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to MrFixit1

said by MrFixit1:

May be wrong , but believe sk1939 is referring to the 120 outlets being mounted ground pin up

Do we really want to restart the debate on if the ground pin should be up or down ? If we do I vote for up .

Your project looks nice . May be a little work now , but will really pay off in the future .

Been in a lot of different medical facilities in the past months and I've noticed that every one of the hospital grade receptacles (green dot) are mounted ground pin up. Maybe there is a standard?

fcisler
Premium
join:2004-06-14
Riverhead, NY

said by Jack_in_VA:

Been in a lot of different medical facilities in the past months and I've noticed that every one of the hospital grade receptacles (green dot) are mounted ground pin up. Maybe there is a standard?

I've read and heard that ground up is preferable in a situation like that because anything falling onto the conductors results in hitting ground first, followed by the live/neutral - vs bridging the live/neutral.

I have actually seen this happen with a copier. Ruler dropped down and BANG - shorted the outlet. It was a longshot to make but it did happen.

Along the same area a much common scenario used to be the metallic wall plate covers coming lose. After a while they would begin to rotate. Once they were hit in just the right way BAM - short!

After asking the fire marshal we had maintenance replace the covers with nylon.

AVonGauss
Premium
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

I'm not an electrician, but I'd say if you have a metallic outlet cover causing a short, you have far more serious issues that nylon covers will not be able to fix. In some use areas, I would imagine a metallic cover would provide additional safety over a nylon or plastic plate.

jeffmoss26

join:2002-07-22
Beachwood, OH
reply to cooldude9919

Looks nice! Do you have a link to the cable tie-labels you used on the cables?

cooldude9919

said by jeffmoss26:

Looks nice! Do you have a link to the cable tie-labels you used on the cables?

Yep here you go, they are called Kableflags and are pretty handy.

»www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TO···_s00_i00

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06
reply to cooldude9919

as much as i hate media panels, i personally prefer using a small rack attached to a backboard, i will say this is really really nice

cooldude9919

said by telco_mtl:

as much as i hate media panels, i personally prefer using a small rack attached to a backboard, i will say this is really really nice

I had thought about that, but honestly i had no good spot to put something that stuck out that far from the wall. With a split foyer we have all finished space, and our laundry room is very small and anything sticking out would be in the way. This being recessed in the wall in a closet makes it the only good way i could do things.

rbnice1

join:2000-12-16
Fenton, MO
reply to cooldude9919

Where did you get the media panel and the accessories installed in it? I am looking for something similar for my new house.

cooldude9919

1 recommendation

said by rbnice1:

Where did you get the media panel and the accessories installed in it? I am looking for something similar for my new house.

Most of the stuff i got from westsidewholesale, they have some deals when you buy so much $$ worth. I got the coax f patch panel from ebay.

Heres the bulk of the stuff i got from westside, top price is regular, bottom of each item is after discounts.

Item Sku Model # Quick Ship Qty Subtotal
Leviton Telephone Input Distribution Panel 11983633 476TL-T12 Yes 1
$66.75
$60.08
Leviton AC Power Module (two duplex gray receptacles) 11983690 47605-NDP Yes 1
$35.00
$31.50
Leviton 1x4 Passive Video Splitter Module, 2.05 GHz 11983708 47690-4C2 Yes 1
$15.50
$13.95
Leviton Series 280 Structured Media Center Enclosure and Flush-mount Cover, 28-Inch 11983686 47605-28W Yes 1
$66.75
$60.08
Leviton Push-Lock Pins for Structured Media Centers, Bag Of 20 11983624 47615-NYL Yes 1
$4.50
$4.05
Leviton Universal Shelf Bracket used with Structured Media Center - White 11983623 47612-UBK Yes 1
$29.25
$26.33
Subtotal $195.99
Bundle Savings $21.76
Free Economy Shipping $0.00
Shipping Savings $20.34
Grand Total $195.99
Total Savings $48.10

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to cooldude9919

That's pretty nice. Yeah the screws you get with Monoprice plates are pretty cheap. You have to be very gentle with them or the cheap paint flakes right off the screw heads.

The only thing I would do is replace the barrel connectors on the coax with the blue centers that are rated to 3 GHz. I got stuff from here before: »www.prosatellitesupply.com/CONNECTORS.htm

10 pack for $4.99. They are really good connectors fully swept to 3 GHz.

My monoprice patch panel looks like that but its numbered in the opposite direction. Overall I think structured cabling in the home is a great idea and its really convenient having Ethernet at each TV for a game system or streaming media player / blue ray /etc..

jeffmoss26

join:2002-07-22
Beachwood, OH
reply to cooldude9919

I am looking at that site now...prices are okay but, still more than my suppliers.
Why don't they sell the Cat 5e or Cat 6 Leviton jacks? I have not installed a 41108-RI5 Cat 5 jack in years!

cooldude9919

reply to cooldude9919

Got my power wired in and my MTA modem moved, 5 port switch mounted, and the UPS in there, but man space is getting really tight near the bottom of the enclosure. Got some short patch cables on order, along with a short power cable for my UPS (came with a 6ft one which is crazy overkill and i dont want all that slack taking up room). Ill get some totally complete pictures in a week or so.

Daarken
Rara Avises
Premium
join:2005-01-12
Southwest LA
kudos:3
reply to Jack_in_VA

We have an engineer who specifies that all outlets be ground up. If the electrician doesn't install it that way, the engineer wont sign the electrical final.
More then one electrician has found out the hard way.
We have a special nag price just for him when he engineers one of our special systems.

Nice structured wiring job.
Most of our technicians put the time to do it right like that.

--
Getting it Done.

cooldude9919

1 recommendation

reply to cooldude9919

Click for full size
Pretty much done, got my short patch cables in place, just waiting on a short 1ft power cable for the UPS so i dont have 5ft of slack clogging up the bottup of the unit. Its really a tight fit with the UPS in there, but all my other gear is on a UPS so i should get a decent runtime with only the MTA and "Green" switch on it. Anything else i should do to it?
Expand your moderator at work

boczar

join:2012-11-22
Redmond, WA
reply to cooldude9919

Re: My Structured Wiring Enclosure

I notice you've nicely attached your Monoprice patch panel in the enclosure. I'm working on a similar setup (although with the 14' version) and I realized, when receiving the patch panel, that the mounting wholes don't really align with the ones in the enclosure. How did you mount it?

cooldude9919

said by boczar:

I notice you've nicely attached your Monoprice patch panel in the enclosure. I'm working on a similar setup (although with the 14' version) and I realized, when receiving the patch panel, that the mounting wholes don't really align with the ones in the enclosure. How did you mount it?

I had to drill holes and find some really shallow bolts. To get everything to fit right i had to do that for a few items in there.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

1 edit
reply to Anon

If they sell 3ghz swept tested cable (example), why not use corresponding rated connectors? Is it necessary currently? No. But why not for all the same reasons that people advocate using Cat6 or Cat6a cables. There is NO RESIDENTIAL SERVICE that needs Cat6a speced cable. Gigabit runs perfectly well on Cat5e. 10G needs Cat6a, but fibers a better choice anyways and 10G is not a "residential service" anyways. There is also no reason to run Cat5 or 6 for voice. Just run a 4-wire flat cable. You aren't going to have any performance difference for phone conversations

I think a lot of the "structured" wiring is more expensive than it's worth personally, but a neat "wiring closet" is a nice thing to have. And if there is no choice but to have it in an otherwise out in the open exposed location, it's a nice way to have it organized and hidden.

kherr
Premium
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter

[ There is also no reason to run Cat5 or 6 for voice. Just run a 4-wire flat cable. You aren't going to have any performance difference for phone conversations ]

Around here you have to use at least cat3 for phone. I thought that was national, but may not. It's my understanding that the usual 4 wire round cable (untwisted, red black green.yellow) was phased out years ago.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom

said by kherr:

[ There is also no reason to run Cat5 or 6 for voice. Just run a 4-wire flat cable. You aren't going to have any performance difference for phone conversations ]

Around here you have to use at least cat3 for phone. I thought that was national, but may not. It's my understanding that the usual 4 wire round cable (untwisted, red black green.yellow) was phased out years ago.

You use cat3 only if you want. Otherwise in your house you can use whatever you want.
You do realize that there are millions of homes using the old 2 pair non-twisted don't you? Their phones work. Also there are millions of miles of underground cable that has been in use for decades long before cat anything.

Why put that high dollar wiring in a home and feed it with the same old? You're never going to have anything better than what your source is.

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
reply to cooldude9919

The "flat" phone cord is crap. It is for short runs from the wall to the phone. It should never be used as interior wire. It acts like an antenna and picks up a lot of ingress.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06

said by nunya:

The "flat" phone cord is crap. It is for short runs from the wall to the phone. It should never be used as interior wire. It acts like an antenna and picks up a lot of ingress.

i second that, i live in an area with 4 AM transmitters within spitting distance, there used to be 6 and depending on the room in the house you are in you can hear a different station and thats with JKT, which isnt great but still better than the flat stuff

kherr
Premium
Collinsville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to Jack_in_VA

I'm just going by what the inspectors have said for years and years. You can use anything you want and it will work. They normally just use cat5e around here. Why have several different kinds of wire when they all cost basically the same. The better outfits use white for communication and blue for data.

You can use 14 gauge wire in the wall and it will work too, but if the code says 12, you use 12. If you don't use what is called for in code and get called on it, it's you that is fucked. Hell knob 'n tube wiring works too, but you don't see any new installs with that.

Out with the old technology in with the new

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom

said by kherr:

Out with the old technology in with the new

I'm just saying the new technology will do nothing if you have the same old crap coming in. That's all.

kherr
Premium
Collinsville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter

At the current rate of wireless phones, phone wiring may become extinct. But then again you might have a central device that receives the signal and distributes it to the house wiring. Then there's always Voip which I think will always be, at least for some time to come .........

Oh what the future holds .........