Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to fcisler

Re: My Structured Wiring Enclosure

"anything falling onto the conductors results in hitting ground first"

The reasoning behind this makes since but has anyone here ever seen this happen personally with their own eyes? I've hear plenty of people tell this story but not a single one of them has seen it happen, it was always a second hand story.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom

said by battleop:

"anything falling onto the conductors results in hitting ground first"

The reasoning behind this makes since but has anyone here ever seen this happen personally with their own eyes? I've hear plenty of people tell this story but not a single one of them has seen it happen, it was always a second hand story.

That may be but the "fact" that every one I've seen in a medical facility here is mounted with the ground up. Now that can't be just coincidence as some electrician would probably rotate them.

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

Interesting debate on ground up/down.
»www.mikeholt.com/technical.php?i···9-23-99)

I think that I will be flipping my receptacles soon. Anyway, with a 4 month old daughter who will start walking/crawling soon, I'd want all my receptacles to be GFCI + tamper proof. Two birds one stone.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom

1 edit

said by alkizmo:

Interesting debate on ground up/down.
»www.mikeholt.com/technical.php?i···9-23-99)

I think that I will be flipping my receptacles soon. Anyway, with a 4 month old daughter who will start walking/crawling soon, I'd want all my receptacles to be GFCI + tamper proof. Two birds one stone.

Below is why I think the NEC is nothing more than a bureaucratic joke comprised of mainly special interest people with their own agendas. They will require some stupid crap but if the proposals don't fit their agenda...forget it.

When you have manufacturers doing things on their own the NEC becomes even more irrelevant and suspect.

Later, I discussed this with Jack Wells of P&S. He thought it would be a good idea to require that the grounding slot be on top of the receptacle. So I submitted a Code Proposal. It was rejected. Jack and a few other CMP members were in favor...others were not. The proposal failed. But I believe I just may have started something. If you check the current catalogs of P&S, Hubbell, Arrow-Hart, and maybe others, you will find that the markings on the yoke (and on the GFCI reset and test buttons) are readable when the ground slot is positioned on top.

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·callwithus
reply to nunya

said by nunya:

I have yet to meet one. Can you provide a link?

I knew I'd get asked that! The last jacks I bought at Lowe's stated on the package that it would accept both RJ11 and RJ45 plugs. I tossed the packaging, can't find that spec. online so I'll have to go to the store and take a picture of the package. I'll try to get it later on today, I recall being impressed that such an animal existed. Maybe the contact wires are mounted on springs that allow them to get out of the way if an RJ11 plug is inserted.

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4

1 edit
reply to cooldude9919

that is very nicely done...better than what I did...

»picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Ft···rectlink

what is that 2nd bracket holding all that f-connectors?

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
reply to Jack_in_VA

Picture above related to second paragraph:

Manufacturers don't really have to change anything if the ground has to be up by code.
Neither do contractors, except to break a old habit.
No extra cost or effort required.

Actually, I wish they'd make dual outlet receptacles with opposite facing grounds. The ground would be UP no matter which way you install the receptacle, and you could use 90 degree extension cords on both outlets, as they'd both turn away from each others.

edit - Nevermind, I realize if nothing was plugged on the top outlet, then the bottom outlet wouldn't have the ground-up protection.

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
reply to garys_2k

Lowe's carries OnQ (PS&L).

garys_2k
Premium
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·callwithus

said by nunya:

Thanks. Navigating that site is like rubbing sand into my eyes. I'll try to take a pic of the package.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
reply to alkizmo

you should patent that.

nunya
Premium,MVM
O Fallon, MO
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting

»www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto···00665822
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

garys_2k
Premium
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·callwithus

1 edit
reply to nunya

Click for full size
said by nunya:

Yep, it was OnQ. Maybe my interpretation of the packaging info. is wrong, but IIRC the internal "instructions" said it could accept either type of plug.

nunya
Premium,MVM
O Fallon, MO
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting

There are some multi-line phones that use RJ45 connectors. I think that's what they are getting at.
You can jam an RJ11/14 into an RJ45, and it will probably work. But if you ever want to use that jack for RJ45 in the future, I'd suggest not doing it.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.