TP-Link Archer C7
Linksys WRT54GS
Linksys WRT54G v4

1 edit

Bill_MI to robman50

MVM

to robman50

Re: mounting a share at boot

I wonder if you've tried a GRAPHICAL/GUI method of any kind? If your file manager is Nautilus, it's similar to Windows...

Find "Network" and you should be able to browse "Windows Network", find your Workgroup/Domain then share name. You can create a bookmark to it. It will prompt for login info and present options.

What distro/flavor of Linux are you using? Someone may be able to get more specific with menus and the like. Menus and names for things do vary. "Bookmark" can be "Places", "Shortcut", Launcher" or something else. THIS is why Linux users tend towards the commandline - it doesn't change much.

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL

Maxo

Premium Member

said by Bill_MI:

I wonder if you've tried a GRAPHICAL/GUI method of any kind? If your file manager is Nautilus, it's similar to Windows...

I would second this. Doing an actual mount into the filesystem is probably overkill for what you want to accomplish. Creating bookmarks is probably going to be both easier and more stable.
robman50
join:2010-12-14

robman50 to Bill_MI

to Bill_MI
I am using Ubuntu and yes I see the 'Windows Network'. What I am looking for is a way to have a hard drive icon on the desktop so when I click on it than I get the network share.
So the one hard drive icon would be my hard drive and the other will act like it is a hard drive but its on the network. I know its possible because I did it before than I had my email client store the inbox on that share.

Maxo
Premium Member
Tallahassee, FL

Maxo

Premium Member

Try this. »help.ubuntu.com/communit ··· manently I used to have this setup on my work machine.
robman50

robman50

hang on I got to switch the o/s. stupid unity desktop.

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
MVM
join:2001-01-03
Royal Oak, MI
TP-Link Archer C7
Linksys WRT54GS
Linksys WRT54G v4

1 edit

Bill_MI

MVM

I couldn't find any way to do it on the Unity desktop I've been playing with, but I'm still lost with it.

But Ubuntu 10.04 was doable with a little fanageling...

On the desktop I right-click->Create Launcher. Set TYPE to "Location". There was a browse option that was next to useless so I put in the location "smb://Hostname/Sharename/" without quotes. Works! But that's Gnome 2 (sigh). Maybe that's how you did it before?

I saw no desktop Launcher of ANY kind in Unity. Again, the exact distro/desktop you're using is a must. Is it Unity? I've been trying to give it a chance - nice hot-key support if I didn't have to redo them all.

EDIT: Maxo posted the what must be what I initially used a few years ago. Maxo, it looks familiar!

The best way I can think of helping is to make you aware how the fstab mount method differs in details how Nautilus mounts things. Nautilus uses a different method which has a buzzword "fuse" and it differs in sometimes-gotcha ways.
robman50

robman50

Well before when I did it I was all over Google and I copied and pasted the command to the correct files but I forgot to bookmark that site and backup the fstab and .smbcredentials. I was using lubuntu 12.04 at the time, than I switched to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and hated it. So I found an older xubuntu 10.10 cd and it wanted to upgrade to 11.04. So now I am running xubuntu 11.04.

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
MVM
Royal Oak, MI
TP-Link Archer C7
Linksys WRT54GS
Linksys WRT54G v4

Bill_MI

MVM

Well, I have a bunch of distros loaded while I play seeker, too. But Xubuntu 12.04, not 11.04, and it may make a huge difference as XFCE has been changing a lot.

This works GREAT in Xubuntu 12.04 like this...

Right-click desktop -> Create URL link. Name it what you like and under URL use "smb://Hostname/Sharename". It can permanently store credentials, too. Viola!

Why do I have this nagging feeling it won't work in Xubuntu 11.04?
robman50

robman50

said by Bill_MI:

Why do I have this nagging feeling it won't work in Xubuntu 11.04?

Something worked. I now have an icon and when I open it it brings up a window that shows everything on my network share.
robman50

robman50 to Bill_MI

to Bill_MI
said by Bill_MI:

This works GREAT in Xubuntu 12.04 like this...

Should I climb the ladder up from 11.04 to 11.10 and up to 12.04? Or should I just burn a CD and install xubuntu 12.04?

Maxo
Premium Member
Tallahassee, FL

Maxo to Bill_MI

Premium Member

to Bill_MI
said by Bill_MI:

On the desktop I right-click->Create Launcher. Set TYPE to "Location". There was a browse option that was next to useless so I put in the location "smb://Hostname/Sharename/" without quotes. Works! But that's Gnome 2 (sigh). Maybe that's how you did it before?

In the latest Ubuntu you can do something similar. Either from the desktop or a Nautilus click File->Connect to Sever. Then fill out the information regarding your Windows share. Or in Nautilus just presl Ctrl-L then type the smb://Hostname section and press enter. Once in your share choose Bookmarks->Add Bookmark.
The lack of the "Create Launcher" has nothing to do with Unity and is instead based on configurations in Gnome/Nautilus.

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
MVM
Royal Oak, MI
TP-Link Archer C7
Linksys WRT54GS
Linksys WRT54G v4

Bill_MI to robman50

MVM

to robman50
Glad to see things may be coming together.
said by robman50:

Should I climb the ladder up from 11.04 to 11.10 and up to 12.04? Or should I just burn a CD and install xubuntu 12.04?

Well, 11.04 support stops next month but 12.04 goes to 2015: »xubuntu.org/help/

Every 2 years, Ubuntu (and Xubuntu, and Mint and most Ubuntu-based) does their Long Term Support (LTS) release and 12.04 is just that. Ubuntu itself is going 5 years this time but Xubuntu is saying 3 years. Mint is saying 5 years. They vary.

I'm on the previous LTS (Ubuntu 10.04) but looking for a replacement. Xubuntu 12.04 is definitely in my running at the moment. HTH