Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada

2 recommendations

Ever wonder what the network guy's network is like?

Click for full size
So, moved into a new house about 2 weeks ago; but finally got around to setting up the infrastructure yesterday...

20/1 cable connection comes in on the top right, feeds the RT-n16 beside it that does routing and wireless. The SPA2102 is setup as an ATA for the analog phones in the house. Cisco 24 port PoE switch handles the rest of the house (hard-wired LAN port in every room...). SmartUPS 500 backs it all up.

Not shown is a D-Link DNS 323 NAS with a pair of 2TB drives, and the Trixbox that runs the phones... they are on a shelf in my office.

Brendan
Warr Guitar is here

join:2000-07-14
Littleton, CO

Nice n' simple. Then again, the tech's setup usually is. I dig it.

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06
reply to LazMan

said by LazMan:

So, moved into a new house about 2 weeks ago; but finally got around to setting up the infrastructure yesterday...

20/1 cable connection comes in on the top right, feeds the RT-n16 beside it that does routing and wireless. The SPA2102 is setup as an ATA for the analog phones in the house. Cisco 24 port PoE switch handles the rest of the house (hard-wired LAN port in every room...). SmartUPS 500 backs it all up.

Not shown is a D-Link DNS 323 NAS with a pair of 2TB drives, and the Trixbox that runs the phones... they are on a shelf in my office.

we techs are all the same, keep it simple, we have enough crap at work!

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
reply to LazMan

Clean, neat, lots of room to expand.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to LazMan

Thanks...

Not going to be much growth, likely... Co-Ax home-runs to a different spot, ditto with analog phone. Again a drop in each room.

Wired with Cat5e, good for gig-E speeds, although only running at 100 meg right now (don't have a Gig-E PoE switch); and don't need the speeds at this point.

I do admit, I did take the lazy way out, and terminated the Cat5 cables directly with RJ45 crimp-on's... I may mount a patch panel, and do it that way; but hard to say. The network's going to be pretty static. Any provisioing I want to do, I can handle with VLAN's in the switch, anyways...

The other ends are keystone faceplates with an RJ45, RJ11, and F-connector. Nothing fancy, but it works.

I get decent WiFi over the entire house and deck area (nice thing about raised bungelows).

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5
reply to LazMan

I would not hire you to do any network work