spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tcp91

@shawcable.net

Shaw HDTV Mbps

Does anyone know the Mbps that Shaw's HDTV broadcasts at? It looks like 720p, but I was wondering about the datarate. I have a DCX3200.

kevinds

join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:2

Some channels are 1080i other channels are 720p, Shaw doesn't up/down convert.

From my observations, it is around 10mbps per channel.
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

adiabatic

join:2009-01-24
Victoria, BC
reply to tcp91

Depends on the source, I imagine. TSN was in the 14 Mbps range last I checked a year ago.

What channel(s) are you referring to?

OMNI for example is, I believe, upscaled so it's never going to look good. Sometimes, it's the specific programming. SN1 has been showing the Vuelta a Espana from what is clearly a SD feed from Universal Sports (it's so bad that even my g/f who's not usually aware of HD vs SD thought it looked like crap). SportNet World sometimes shows upscaled content as well.

kevinds

Calgary, AB

Yes, some things are definately upscaled, but as far as I know, that is the station doing it, not Shaw.

I will be watching a program in HD, on an HD channel, and a commerical will be in 480i, my terminal and TV output 480i at that point.

When a station shows 480i content on the HD channels, sometimes they can really upscale and/or stretch very poorly.
--

western

@teksavvy.com

Shaw must be doing some sort of downconvertering. My OTA 1080i feeds run at 18mbps

kevinds

Calgary, AB

The Shaw feed of the OTA channels are definately compressed, this is where MPEG4 makes a big difference (differnet compression will lead to a better picture, using less data)

But the format is not changed.

I am not sure though if it is the station compressing it, or Shaw.
This really doesn't matter.
--