uniqs

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

1 edit

elitefx to ShelaghDB

to ShelaghDB

Re: New Rogers HITRON CGN2-ROG -Cant Stay Online

you know this gateway topic just goes round and round and round. this is what happens when Rogers refuses to allow the consumer free choice in our hardware selection (discussed 1000 times already). we're like mice in a cage. making the best of an intolerable situation. common sense dictates we should be able to purchase the D3 modem of our choice (discussed 1000 times already). rogers has us on a bit on string. And all the while getting filthy rich off our undesireable situation.

it don't really matter which Gateway is better, they're all flawed when you get right down to it. who cares if the modem component is good when you've just dropped $150 + tax for a Gateway you didn't want to start with.....A top of the line standalone D3 modem will run you $89-$105 any day of the week and they're usually on sale at one shop or another (discussed 1000 times already).......We need to turn the heat up on Rogers instead of attempting to gloss over their unacceptable hardware usage policies.....

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

The Motorola SB6180 is a superb 8x4 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem

Too much work [and cost] to convince Rogers that it should accept 3rd party cable modems without all the fuss.

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

elitefx

said by mozerd:

Too much work [and cost] to convince Rogers that it should accept 3rd party cable modems without all the fuss.

yea...what a friggin' world.......

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to mozerd

Premium Member

to mozerd
I wish the CRTC grew a set of balls, and required an ISP that forces a modem rental or purchase from them, to offer both a standalone modem as well as an all in one gateway for the dummies that require them.
Hooter
join:2009-08-17
Scarborough, ON

Hooter

Sometimes I think that a standalone modem would be better for the "dummies" as well. It is not that difficult to hook up a router to a modem. On the other hand, when the gateway does not provide decent wireless access, the not so computer literate customer is quite likely going to be perplexed. Will they know how to put their gateway into bridge mode? Will they know that they can even use their own router with a gateway? I think it takes someone with a fair bit of knowledge to go through all the steps required to disable the built-in router and then hook up your own router. Much easier to just hook up your own router in the first place! There is no doubt about it though - the CRTC is completely lacking in gonads!
JAC70
join:2008-10-20
canada

JAC70

Most computer users are not capable of installing, configuring and securing a wireless router.
Hooter
join:2009-08-17
Scarborough, ON

Hooter

Ten years ago I did not think I could either, but following simple instructions was not that difficult. And if they are "not capable of installing, configuring and securing a wireless router", then how do they solve the problem of a gateway router that does not have a decent wireless range or suffers from dropped connections?