spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ArrMATEy

@pnap.net

Hate Gnome3 and Unity? Have you seen MATE?

Had a buddy point this out on IRC, it looks very promising, and is a actively-developed fork of Gnome2. Major distributions are supported and it's very much refreshing to get the productive and usability of Gnome 2 on 12.04 LTS. Gnome3 in classic mode is still a nuisance and I long for the Gnome 2 feel that I get on my 10.04 LTS box.

»mate-desktop.org

Curious to hear your thoughts. Personally, I loath Unity and I find Gnome 3 to be an annoyance. Forced change under the guise of innovation is quite frustrating and Gnome 3 classic != Gnome 2

Xlogic
Premium
join:2002-10-17
Conyers, GA

I've personally ran them all at one time or anther and I really like Unity and Gnome 3. Since I use Linux Mint, MATE and Cinnamon just seem like an app running on top of my desktop, (if that makes since).

I personally would use XFCE before MATE or Cinnamon and as the old saying goes: "its just what you are used to".

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
Premium,MVM
join:2001-01-03
Royal Oak, MI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
reply to ArrMATEy

I like Mate (pronounced MAH-tay, btw ). But I am leery of its longevity. Originally, it lacked a LOT of Debian/RedHat/Ubuntu patches most expect and I wasn't even aware of. Little things like smarter column width in Nautilus/Caja that was never put into the original.

I also see XFCE in my future.

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to ArrMATEy

I have Linux mint Maya (MATE version) installed on one of my systems.

It seems reasonably nice. I prefer it over Gnome3. However, I am primarily a KDE4 user at present, with XFCE my second choice.

My concern for MATE, will be on how well will it be supported long term.
--
AT&T Uverse; Zyxel NBG334W router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 12.1; firefox 15.0