mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON
reply to elitefx

Re: New Rogers HITRON CGN2-ROG -Cant Stay Online

The Motorola SB6180 is a superb 8x4 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem

Too much work [and cost] to convince Rogers that it should accept 3rd party cable modems without all the fuss.

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2
said by mozerd:

Too much work [and cost] to convince Rogers that it should accept 3rd party cable modems without all the fuss.

yea...what a friggin' world.......

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to mozerd
I wish the CRTC grew a set of balls, and required an ISP that forces a modem rental or purchase from them, to offer both a standalone modem as well as an all in one gateway for the dummies that require them.

Hooter

join:2009-08-17
Scarborough, ON
Sometimes I think that a standalone modem would be better for the "dummies" as well. It is not that difficult to hook up a router to a modem. On the other hand, when the gateway does not provide decent wireless access, the not so computer literate customer is quite likely going to be perplexed. Will they know how to put their gateway into bridge mode? Will they know that they can even use their own router with a gateway? I think it takes someone with a fair bit of knowledge to go through all the steps required to disable the built-in router and then hook up your own router. Much easier to just hook up your own router in the first place! There is no doubt about it though - the CRTC is completely lacking in gonads!

JAC70

join:2008-10-20
canada
Most computer users are not capable of installing, configuring and securing a wireless router.

Hooter

join:2009-08-17
Scarborough, ON
Ten years ago I did not think I could either, but following simple instructions was not that difficult. And if they are "not capable of installing, configuring and securing a wireless router", then how do they solve the problem of a gateway router that does not have a decent wireless range or suffers from dropped connections?