how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ClearFir

join:2012-04-09
Branford, CT

Migrating email from AT&T

I finally fixed my bad DSL service (which tech support would never acknowledge as being bad) by switching to Comcast. Now the Airport Extreme that couldn't hold a connection to AT&T works just fine connected to Comcast.

My question is: What happens with my sbcglobal.net domain email addresses? Do I lose them after canceling my DSL service? I know I've seen some discussion on this before.

Darknessfall
Premium
join:2012-08-17
kudos:5

I also have a att.net email I was wondering the same with. A person on the Att forums told me I get to keep it but not fully sure.

gulliver360

join:2012-08-21
reply to ClearFir

After the cancellation of AT&T Services, you will be able to access your AT&T e-mail account and send/receive mails using the same AT&T e-mail address.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to ClearFir

said by ClearFir:

I finally fixed my bad DSL service (which tech support would never acknowledge as being bad) by switching to Comcast. Now the Airport Extreme that couldn't hold a connection to AT&T works just fine connected to Comcast.

The Airport Extreme is a modem? Interesting!

My question is: What happens with my sbcglobal.net domain email addresses? Do I lose them after canceling my DSL service? I know I've seen some discussion on this before.

As long as your AT&T account was in good standing when you canceled service (no outstanding bills), you keep your 'sbcglobal.net' addresses. They should convert to free Yahoo! mail addresses. Log in to 'mail.yahoo.com' to check.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

CTinCT

join:2009-08-17
Glastonbury, CT

Hi, Norman - Any idea what would be the case with the old legacy addresses - snet.net, etc.?

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1

The legacy email accounts can be accessed via 'mail.yahoo.com'

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to CTinCT

said by CTinCT:

Hi, Norman - Any idea what would be the case with the old legacy addresses - snet.net, etc.?

My old 'pacbell.net' accounts still work through 'mail.yahoo.com' after a year and a half.
--
Norman

ClearFir

Branford, CT
reply to NormanS

No, I had to get a cable modem to change technologies, but I didn't want to go into all the details here. Bottom line after one by one replacing various parts of my setup: Airport Extreme and DSL modem each were not faulty, but replacing the DSL service itself did solve the problem.

I use a mail client (Apple Mail) rather than logging in with a web browser for mail. I guess the next question is whether the settings for mail servers will need changing. Currently they are pop.att.yahoo.com for incoming and smtp.att.yahoo.com for outgoing.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by ClearFir:

I use a mail client (Apple Mail) rather than logging in with a web browser for mail. I guess the next question is whether the settings for mail servers will need changing. Currently they are pop.att.yahoo.com for incoming and smtp.att.yahoo.com for outgoing.

I've heard different reports about client access. I would recommend not changing anything, unless something breaks. If something breaks, post back for assistance.
--
Norman

CTinCT

join:2009-08-17
Glastonbury, CT

I too use pop.att.yahoo.com. As a test, I set up a mail.yahoo.com account in my mail client (TBird). It worked fine, although that's not necessarily proof positive it would if I cancelled my my ATT DSL account.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by CTinCT:

I too use pop.att.yahoo.com. As a test, I set up a mail.yahoo.com account in my mail client (TBird). It worked fine, although that's not necessarily proof positive it would if I cancelled my my ATT DSL account.

I canceled AT&T in April, 2011. I was in the 'pacbell.net' domain (former Pacific Bell Telephone). All 'pacbell.net' accounts are still active. I use these settings in Mozilla Thunderbird:

Configuring T-Bird for converted ex-AT&T accounts.

--
Norman

ClearFir

Branford, CT
reply to NormanS

said by NormanS:

said by ClearFir:

I've heard different reports about client access. I would recommend not changing anything, unless something breaks. If something breaks, post back for assistance.

That's kinda what I was thinking. Thanks for everyone's input.