uniqs
Daemon
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Washington, DC

Daemon to Thinkdiff

Premium Member

to Thinkdiff

Re: Sept. 12 invites for iPhone 5? release...

said by Thinkdiff:

said by HiVolt:

I think desktops/laptops are different, because they've always been many iterations of them with the same name.

And now there will always be many iterations of the iPad with the same name.

The numbering is not sustainable. If they stuck with that, we'd have the Mac 4,194,304k instead of just "the new iMac".

It'll lead to confusion at first, but somehow the original iPod, the iPod nano, and iPod touch line has managed to survive in the consumer electronics space without numbers after the name.

When Apple only has one line of products under a name, those products are numbered (iPhone 3s/4/4s)
When apple has multiple lines of products in a line, no numbers (Mac book MacBook pro, iMac, Mac pro; iPod, iPod mini, nano, shuffle ,touch)
When apple goes from one line to multiple, the number disappears (iPad, soon to include iPad mini)

haroldo
join:2004-01-16
USA

haroldo

Numbers add, to some extent, marketing and branding confusion. Methinks Cook, a marketing oriented guy, probably preferred no numbers, thus the iPad changeover (was it a test to see how it would sell and be perceived?)
Since iPhone is like a car, that is, people think temporary... "I like to get a new one every three years, etc"., the number of the product (4, 5, etc.) reminds them that it's getting old, just like a 2005 car starts to feel old. People would keep their cars a lot longer if they didn't have the year associated with it. No one says, "I have a 2007 refrigerator (or television), time to get a new one", but phones, cars and (i guess) milk are temporary products where the consumer likes to recycle, renew and refresh...and, oh, yeah, spend money.
iPad, iMac, MacBook, etc., are more akin to refrigerators and TVs, held for a longer period of time, so no need to be reminded (nagged) that the product is becoming ancient and need of replacement.
The iPad lack of number was a bold marketing decision.
Just a few wild guesses, however, I took a couple of courses in marketing a few decades ago and learned only a little...and forgot most of it anyway.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
So far a bigger screen is not enough to have me saying I will get it. There just doesn't seem to be any must have improvements in it.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by ptrowski:

So far a bigger screen is not enough to have me saying I will get it. There just doesn't seem to be any must have improvements in it.

I'll wait a bit, because there wont be a JB for a while anyway. There are some things I won't give up for a shiny new phone... I'm happy the iPhone 4 lasted me two years.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

said by HiVolt:

said by ptrowski:

I'll wait a bit, because there wont be a JB for a while anyway. There are some things I won't give up for a shiny new phone... I'm happy the iPhone 4 lasted me two years.

Very true. A jailbreak is a must.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to Mike

Premium Member

to Mike
I'm holding out until the 6....still go another 16 months on my contract anyway...and iPhone 6 (to be named simply iPhone) will be about 50% faster than the iPhone 5..

haroldo
USA

haroldo

said by J E F F4:

I'm holding out until the 6....

Not 5S?

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

said by haroldo:

said by J E F F4:

I'm holding out until the 6....

Not 5S?

I figure the 5S will be available in May or June of 2013. My contract expires in January 2014, so that is just after the iPhone release date.

DrModem
Trust Your Doctor
Premium Member
join:2006-10-19
USA

DrModem

Premium Member

I'm up for an upgrade but we'll have to see how compelling the new phone is first. Otherwise I'm happy to keep my 4S...

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
I'm on an iPhone 4 and have already started working on the hubby about an upgrade...

Thaler
Premium Member
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
Somehow I just picture Samsung sitting outside Apple with a loaded patent shotgun, just waiting for this press release.

Is it the right thing to do? Hell no - only the consumers lose in this fight. But it is the game of Thermonuclear War that Apple asked for.

Alcohol
Premium Member
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI

Alcohol

Premium Member

Makes sense. Samsung owns a shit ton of LTE patents. But Apple has been buying up LTE patents of their own from various companies.

»www.slashgear.com/iphone ··· 4245915/

I don't see an injunction being grated since these patents are probably under FRAND. Apple already started paying Motorola, they might end up with a cross license deal with samsung.

MEDIAN2k3
Your Ad Here
Premium Member
join:2002-12-04
Howard Beach, NY

MEDIAN2k3 to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
I have purposely kept one line on my account without contract in expectation for this day, if its worth it I will purchase online and happily sign another 2 years with ATT.

Their LTE service is not so bad at all.

I have a no name brand LTE smartphone with them now and its pretty damn fast.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

I wish the contracts here were 2 years... All the freakin blood sucking companies here that offer the iPhone are 3 year contracts... Or purchase outright from Apple at $650+

haroldo
USA

haroldo

said by HiVolt:

I wish the contracts here were 2 years... All the freakin blood sucking companies here that offer the iPhone are 3 year contracts... Or purchase outright from Apple at $650+

The "blood sucking companies" (???) are giving you a great deal.
It's the manufacturer that sets the price...NOT the telcos.
If you have a complaint with any blood sucker out there...look no further than Culpertino...they're the ones who are charging $650+. As it is, local bell is making it cheaper for you to make the initial purchase.
Your complaints against the bells are unfounded....these are loss leaders for them. The more units they sell, the lower their earnings.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by haroldo:

It's the manufacturer that sets the price...NOT the telcos.
If you have a complaint with any blood sucker out there...look no further than Culpertino...they're the ones who are charging $650+. As it is, local bell is making it cheaper for you to make the initial purchase.
Your complaints against the bells are unfounded....these are loss leaders for them. The more units they sell, the lower their earnings.

You obviously don't know much about Canadian telecom...

The terms are 3 years for an top notch phone like an iPhone or Samsung Galaxy, as well as for crap low end phones if you want them for $0...

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to HiVolt

MVM

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

Well you could always buy the phone outright,.....as you said

I personally dont see a problem with that option and I'm glad its there to take advantage of. Subsidizing is a great option too especially if you get some sort of damage / loss / theft coverage,….

I mean the key here is options,....

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

I don't mind the option of subsidy, but 3 years is a lot, especially in the modern product cycle of phones.

haroldo
USA

haroldo to HiVolt

to HiVolt
The US companies would love to move to three year cycles. We're it not for staggering, they'd do so in a heartbeat.
AT&T's contract (with Apple) is up first, if they go to a three year cycle, Verizon will steal their market share (advertising a two year deal), so AT&T wont...and then when Verizon's deal is up, they wont change because they're afraid of losing market share to AT&T...kind of a brilliant unintended (intended?) consequence of giving AT&T exclusivity.
In any event, as you (and others have) said, you can always pay the true price on the phone. In fact, if you do, you can probably upgrade every year or so and peddle on eBay the old phone for a net cost of ~$100/year to have the latest and greatest. YMMV.

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

Nezmo to haroldo

MVM

to haroldo
I'm not up for renewal until May although I could get partial discount before then. May suits me fine. The 4S is great and even if the 5 is compelling to me, waiting gives the accessory market time to settle down with the alleged new dock connector. I have so many things my phone connects to I'd like to see what adapters etc come out. It's hard to see how an adapter will stay in keeping with the slickness of how some accessories connect now. I envision a big ole dongle thingy between my stuff and the phone/cord. Yuck. Just bought a new charger and cord for the car too.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
You used to be able to upgrade after 1 year here, but now its 2 years for the smartphones, unless you pay "penalties"... and then you still sign a 3 year contract on the new phones...

ugh..
HiVolt

HiVolt to Nezmo

Premium Member

to Nezmo
Speaking of that alleged new dock connector... Its absolutely idiotic.. The pins on the cable are exposed, and if you leave it connected to the USB on a charger or computer, and something metal touches it, it's a short circuit and a fire hazard...

I've no idea who in the world thought that would be a good idea...

Thaler
Premium Member
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
said by haroldo:

That's why they offer unlimited talk, text, and web for $40/month.

Oh wait, no they don't. "Great deal" my ass, they're just taking the cost of a new phone every X years and spreading the cost (and a bit more) over that period. It's not like you get a discount in your monthly bill for sticking with your phone for years on end.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

said by Thaler:

said by haroldo:

That's why they offer unlimited talk, text, and web for $40/month.

Oh wait, no they don't. "Great deal" my ass, they're just taking the cost of a new phone every X years and spreading the cost (and a bit more) over that period. It's not like you get a discount in your monthly bill for sticking with your phone for years on end.

In contrast if you bought the phone outright directly from Apple you still wouldn’t be getting any special deals or great rates on the service from the very same telco companies you would otherwise be under contract to.

norbert26
Premium Member
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI

norbert26 to Nezmo

Premium Member

to Nezmo
Existing 30 pin docks are a major concern for me with this iPhone 5 and could be a show stopper. I am trying to figure what kind of adapter if ANY will allow the iPhone 5 (or whatever its called) to dock on legacy 30 pin docking stations. To clarify i am talking about docks where the legacy iPhones stand up in. My upgrade is available in November 2012 however i first have to see how these legacy docks / docking stations issue is going to be addressed or if they are rendered obsolete with iPhone 5.

haroldo
USA

haroldo to Thaler

to Thaler
Then don't agree to the contract.
You (and others) obviously feel the contract isn't of any value, so since no one is holding a gun to anyone's head, just buy the unsubsidized phone from Apple.
Some like the deal, others don't.
No sense complaining about a deal that one voluntarily entered into.
No one here was unaware of the lock up.

Thaler
Premium Member
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler

Premium Member

How does a penalty (ie. contract) have value? I can't recall one person being thankful of being leashed to (insert cell provider here) for X years.

Not complaining about the postpaid method of doing things. I just dislike the thought of their overpriced rates somehow being a "great deal". They just happen to be the only such "deal" in town.
yabos
join:2003-02-16
London, ON

yabos to Octavean

to Octavean
I bought my 4S from Apple. I'm too sick of Rogers here, I'm not signing up for a 3 year contract again.
Technically I'm still "on contract" for my iPhone 4 for about another year even though I've bought a 4S, sold the original 4 and the 5 is about to come out. A 2 year contract is much more reasonable.

Of course Rogers loves it. They let you upgrade after 2 years, then like HiVolt said, you have to extend your contract to 3 years again.

Unfortunately there's no "bring your own phone" discount here, which there should be if you ask me.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

I hope that the iPhone 5 will be AWS compatible... at least there will be other carrier options...

haroldo
USA

haroldo to Thaler

to Thaler
said by Thaler:

How does a penalty (ie. contract) have value? ...

Consumer can pay ~$650 for an unsubsidized phone...or ~$200 for a subsidized phone with requirement that if consumer cancels plan within 20 (?) months they have to reimburse carrier for the subsidy.
Considering the monthly cost of cellular service would probably be the same irrespective of whether they were under a contract, or not, it seems to me that for the requirement to hold onto phone for period, consumer saves an out of pocket ~$450.

In any contract, both sides have to give up something (consideration). In this contract, carrier is providing you with a phone for $450 less than cost and you are agreeing to reimburse if you don't meet your obligation.
Seems pretty straight forward to me....that's the value, no?.