uniqs
share rss forum feed

Thaler
Premium
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA
kudos:3
reply to haroldo

Re: Sept. 12 invites for iPhone 5? release...

Somehow I just picture Samsung sitting outside Apple with a loaded patent shotgun, just waiting for this press release.

Is it the right thing to do? Hell no - only the consumers lose in this fight. But it is the game of Thermonuclear War that Apple asked for.

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast

Makes sense. Samsung owns a shit ton of LTE patents. But Apple has been buying up LTE patents of their own from various companies.

»www.slashgear.com/iphone-5-prepa···4245915/

I don't see an injunction being grated since these patents are probably under FRAND. Apple already started paying Motorola, they might end up with a cross license deal with samsung.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

MEDIAN2k3
Your Ad Here
Premium
join:2002-12-04
united state
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to haroldo

I have purposely kept one line on my account without contract in expectation for this day, if its worth it I will purchase online and happily sign another 2 years with ATT.

Their LTE service is not so bad at all.

I have a no name brand LTE smartphone with them now and its pretty damn fast.
--
If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, it's your's. If it doesn't, it never was to begin with.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21

I wish the contracts here were 2 years... All the freakin blood sucking companies here that offer the iPhone are 3 year contracts... Or purchase outright from Apple at $650+

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state

said by HiVolt:

I wish the contracts here were 2 years... All the freakin blood sucking companies here that offer the iPhone are 3 year contracts... Or purchase outright from Apple at $650+

The "blood sucking companies" (???) are giving you a great deal.
It's the manufacturer that sets the price...NOT the telcos.
If you have a complaint with any blood sucker out there...look no further than Culpertino...they're the ones who are charging $650+. As it is, local bell is making it cheaper for you to make the initial purchase.
Your complaints against the bells are unfounded....these are loss leaders for them. The more units they sell, the lower their earnings.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by haroldo:

It's the manufacturer that sets the price...NOT the telcos.
If you have a complaint with any blood sucker out there...look no further than Culpertino...they're the ones who are charging $650+. As it is, local bell is making it cheaper for you to make the initial purchase.
Your complaints against the bells are unfounded....these are loss leaders for them. The more units they sell, the lower their earnings.

You obviously don't know much about Canadian telecom...

The terms are 3 years for an top notch phone like an iPhone or Samsung Galaxy, as well as for crap low end phones if you want them for $0...
--
GO BLUE JAYS!

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

Well you could always buy the phone outright,.....as you said

I personally dont see a problem with that option and I'm glad its there to take advantage of. Subsidizing is a great option too especially if you get some sort of damage / loss / theft coverage,….

I mean the key here is options,....

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON

I don't mind the option of subsidy, but 3 years is a lot, especially in the modern product cycle of phones.

haroldo

united state
reply to HiVolt

The US companies would love to move to three year cycles. We're it not for staggering, they'd do so in a heartbeat.
AT&T's contract (with Apple) is up first, if they go to a three year cycle, Verizon will steal their market share (advertising a two year deal), so AT&T wont...and then when Verizon's deal is up, they wont change because they're afraid of losing market share to AT&T...kind of a brilliant unintended (intended?) consequence of giving AT&T exclusivity.
In any event, as you (and others have) said, you can always pay the true price on the phone. In fact, if you do, you can probably upgrade every year or so and peddle on eBay the old phone for a net cost of ~$100/year to have the latest and greatest. YMMV.

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
Premium,MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX
reply to haroldo

I'm not up for renewal until May although I could get partial discount before then. May suits me fine. The 4S is great and even if the 5 is compelling to me, waiting gives the accessory market time to settle down with the alleged new dock connector. I have so many things my phone connects to I'd like to see what adapters etc come out. It's hard to see how an adapter will stay in keeping with the slickness of how some accessories connect now. I envision a big ole dongle thingy between my stuff and the phone/cord. Yuck. Just bought a new charger and cord for the car too.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to haroldo

You used to be able to upgrade after 1 year here, but now its 2 years for the smartphones, unless you pay "penalties"... and then you still sign a 3 year contract on the new phones...

ugh..

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Nezmo

Speaking of that alleged new dock connector... Its absolutely idiotic.. The pins on the cable are exposed, and if you leave it connected to the USB on a charger or computer, and something metal touches it, it's a short circuit and a fire hazard...

I've no idea who in the world thought that would be a good idea...

Thaler
Premium
Los Angeles, CA
reply to haroldo

said by haroldo:

That's why they offer unlimited talk, text, and web for $40/month.

Oh wait, no they don't. "Great deal" my ass, they're just taking the cost of a new phone every X years and spreading the cost (and a bit more) over that period. It's not like you get a discount in your monthly bill for sticking with your phone for years on end.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

said by Thaler:

said by haroldo:

That's why they offer unlimited talk, text, and web for $40/month.

Oh wait, no they don't. "Great deal" my ass, they're just taking the cost of a new phone every X years and spreading the cost (and a bit more) over that period. It's not like you get a discount in your monthly bill for sticking with your phone for years on end.

In contrast if you bought the phone outright directly from Apple you still wouldn’t be getting any special deals or great rates on the service from the very same telco companies you would otherwise be under contract to.

norbert26
Premium
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI
reply to Nezmo

Existing 30 pin docks are a major concern for me with this iPhone 5 and could be a show stopper. I am trying to figure what kind of adapter if ANY will allow the iPhone 5 (or whatever its called) to dock on legacy 30 pin docking stations. To clarify i am talking about docks where the legacy iPhones stand up in. My upgrade is available in November 2012 however i first have to see how these legacy docks / docking stations issue is going to be addressed or if they are rendered obsolete with iPhone 5.

haroldo

united state
reply to Thaler

Then don't agree to the contract.
You (and others) obviously feel the contract isn't of any value, so since no one is holding a gun to anyone's head, just buy the unsubsidized phone from Apple.
Some like the deal, others don't.
No sense complaining about a deal that one voluntarily entered into.
No one here was unaware of the lock up.

Thaler
Premium
Los Angeles, CA

How does a penalty (ie. contract) have value? I can't recall one person being thankful of being leashed to (insert cell provider here) for X years.

Not complaining about the postpaid method of doing things. I just dislike the thought of their overpriced rates somehow being a "great deal". They just happen to be the only such "deal" in town.

yabos

join:2003-02-16
London, ON
reply to Octavean

I bought my 4S from Apple. I'm too sick of Rogers here, I'm not signing up for a 3 year contract again.
Technically I'm still "on contract" for my iPhone 4 for about another year even though I've bought a 4S, sold the original 4 and the 5 is about to come out. A 2 year contract is much more reasonable.

Of course Rogers loves it. They let you upgrade after 2 years, then like HiVolt said, you have to extend your contract to 3 years again.

Unfortunately there's no "bring your own phone" discount here, which there should be if you ask me.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON

I hope that the iPhone 5 will be AWS compatible... at least there will be other carrier options...

haroldo

united state
reply to Thaler

said by Thaler:

How does a penalty (ie. contract) have value? ...

Consumer can pay ~$650 for an unsubsidized phone...or ~$200 for a subsidized phone with requirement that if consumer cancels plan within 20 (?) months they have to reimburse carrier for the subsidy.
Considering the monthly cost of cellular service would probably be the same irrespective of whether they were under a contract, or not, it seems to me that for the requirement to hold onto phone for period, consumer saves an out of pocket ~$450.

In any contract, both sides have to give up something (consideration). In this contract, carrier is providing you with a phone for $450 less than cost and you are agreeing to reimburse if you don't meet your obligation.
Seems pretty straight forward to me....that's the value, no?.

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to norbert26

There are numerous rumors floating out there that they are covering this issues with $10 adapters, like they did with the MacBook Pro Retinas.

»arstechnica.com/apple/2012/09/ap···dapters/

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

Just like when they made pin-out changes... we bought adapters (used with varying degrees of success...)
--
♬ Music is life ♬

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to bobrk

What sucks is that apparently only Apple will sell them...

Though I guess after a little while there will be a flood of knockoffs from china.

Nezmo
Premium,MVM
Coppell, TX
reply to haroldo

Yup, so the pin connector change is just a way to make a boat load of more cash. $10 for an adapter. $19 for a cable? I'll start greasing now for this shafting I guess.

I shouldn't pre-judge but I'm having a hard time seeing how an adapter will work in accessories where the iPhone sits in the device. Surely now the thing will sit up higher and maybe not even fit at all. I guess if rumours are true that the phone width is unchanged problems may be limited but that adapter must have to take up space.

I realize things have to change sometimes but when Apple has the ecosystem wrapped-up and then does something like this it smells to me. Telling me it allows for another 0.1mm reduction in phone width ain't gonna fly.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to haroldo

»www.theverge.com/2012/9/6/329799···ts-claim

quote:
A bizarre and troubling story has come from China today. Both The Shanghai Daily and the CNR News radio station have reported that up to several thousand Chinese students were pulled out of school and into Foxconn to "work on the iPhone 5."
Excellent. This means we will get the iphone in time so start camping outside the stores now!!!!
--

haroldo

united state
reply to Nezmo

The adapter change is because... of the current 30 (??) wires, I believe, 10 (more or less) are no longer used. In addition (not an expert here) there might be enhanced functionality with newer wires, etc.
Change is good.
Yeah, $10 here or $20 there is a nuisance, but Apple has always been a premium product, it's the cost of doing business.

Nezmo
Premium,MVM
Coppell, TX

2 recommendations

said by haroldo:

The adapter change is because... of the current 30 (??) wires, I believe, 10 (more or less) are no longer used. In addition (not an expert here) there might be enhanced functionality with newer wires, etc.
Change is good.
Yeah, $10 here or $20 there is a nuisance, but Apple has always been a premium product, it's the cost of doing business.

When Monoprice can sell high quality cables for $2 that others sell for $20+, what's that cost of doing business again? Premium product is one thing. A flat out gouge is another.

Enhanced functionality with fewer connections? Hmmm. I do get how they will market this change. I'm not interested in marketing excuses.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

I bought a $2 usb charging cable for my iPhone from monoprice and the thing literally fell apart in three weeks (the plastic case that connects to the dock side). I'm not hard on my cables either, never had anything like that happen before. In fact, I still have many of the original Apple cables from years ago -- but I had to replace a stolen one and one that my cat chewed up

Went with the RadioShack (aka Gigaware) version most recently and like that they don't have locking mechanism on the sides -- they just slip in and out of the connector nicely.
--
♬ Music is life ♬

Nezmo
Premium,MVM
Coppell, TX

said by darcilicious:

I bought a $2 usb charging cable for my iPhone from monoprice and the thing literally fell apart in three weeks (the plastic case that connects to the dock side). I'm not hard on my cables either, never had anything like that happen before. In fact, I still have many of the original Apple cables from years ago -- but I had to replace a stolen one and one that my cat chewed up

Went with the RadioShack (aka Gigaware) version most recently and like that they don't have locking mechanism on the sides -- they just slip in and out of the connector nicely.

No doubt Monoprice carries crap in some cases. In my case I have bought about two dozen HDMI cables of various lengths. They are hefty and seem good quality. Then again, they are not constantly unplugged. But in general I think Monoprice carries good stuff and at reasonable prices.

But again, $20 for a USB cable is gouging regardless. And if Apple intends to lock down that market for a while it doesn't take a genius to work out their plan.

I have many older cables from Apple too. Most are coming apart where the cable joins the plug. I never unplug by pulling on the cable - only ever the plug itself.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to haroldo

Just got a WSJ alert.

Apple is in talks to license music for a custom-radio service similar to the popular one operated by Pandora Media, in what would be a bid by the hardware maker to expand its dominance in online music.

Such services create virtual "stations" that play music similar to a song or artist of the user's choosing, either on Web browsers or smartphone apps. Apple's service would work on its sprawling hardware family, including the iPhone, iPads and Mac computers.
--