Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz

Re: Caps should be outlawed !

said by Guspaz:

I think it's silly to say that a DSLAM will last for 10 years... With the rate that cable is upgrading their systems, current VDSL2 deployments will not be relevant for high-value markets in 10 years.

Of course not, but even if VDSL deployments are only good for another 5 years, it doesn't increase the costs to the consumer by much.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

Well, based on his math the $20/mth becomes $31/mth, which is a decent chunk since you have to also use it to provide low-end service.
DanteX
join:2010-09-09

DanteX to SkySpy247

to SkySpy247
In this day and age bandwidth caps are ridiculous. How can you cap an Infinite resource and then charge an enormously blowing up rate for it?

Where is the protection for the consumer or are corporations allowed to continue milk us with bi annual price increases for service that either degrades or doesn't improve with the cost increases.

Its said that the average user who just uses the net to check email and look at pictures subsidizes the power users who will blow through a 40Gb cap in a few hours but i think that is wrong.

The average user doesn't make full use of the bandwidth available to them so its the average user who should subsidize the power user who pays out the nose for their connections and usage and makes full use of their service.

Why should I have to pay more just so someone like the average user can use their connection sporadically?

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

Well, based on his math the $20/mth becomes $31/mth, which is a decent chunk since you have to also use it to provide low-end service.

If it were up to me I'd probably just phase out the low end service

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to DanteX

MVM

to DanteX
said by DanteX:

In this day and age bandwidth caps are ridiculous. How can you cap an Infinite resource and then charge an enormously blowing up rate for it?

Where is the protection for the consumer or are corporations allowed to continue milk us with bi annual price increases for service that either degrades or doesn't improve with the cost increases.

Its said that the average user who just uses the net to check email and look at pictures subsidizes the power users who will blow through a 40Gb cap in a few hours but i think that is wrong.

The average user doesn't make full use of the bandwidth available to them so its the average user who should subsidize the power user who pays out the nose for their connections and usage and makes full use of their service.

Why should I have to pay more just so someone like the average user can use their connection sporadically?

It's not an infinite resource since it's a shared medium. They could phase out capped pricing in favour of an all-unlimited methodology, but then you'd see an increase in price (look at TekSavvy or eBox's unlimited versus capped pricing) to compensate.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to Guspaz

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

If you shorten the service life, you also reduce the OAM costs associated with that lifespan and the cost only goes up $2-3.

As for "low-end service", the port cost would be the same since none of the costs considered in my costing exercise were bandwidth/speed-related. As Quintron said, I would simply not offer such a service since it makes no sense in the port+usage model I derived for Dilly and Quintron over the last couple of posts.
GeoStar
join:2011-02-10
j2e6f5

GeoStar to SkySpy247

to SkySpy247
man they say canada has third world status thanks to its internet conectivty , wow someone is getin rich for no service and rasin rates all the time ?....

it would be like sayin that you gotta pay for all the electrons that your antenna captures on a tv or radio etc even if you don't look at them just cause you have befouled them by catchin them?

I guess the 1 % , ie fillty rich have found a way to trickle down the crap by sayin others are dirtier than they?

caps are crap ; they bring back the early 1930's , they are money for nothing and serve to retard the industry by putiin high test gas into the bloated yahts of provider pirate shipps sheeesh what am i saying ?