RyanThaDude
Indiana's No. 1 Zero
join:2004-01-24
Walkerton, IN

RyanThaDude to Anonymous88

to Anonymous88

Re: [IL] Three Outages in 3 Weeks in Southern IL? What's going o

said by Anonymous88:

shit happens...besides its a residential service with no uptime guarantee so make sure you have a back up connection when working from home.

The major issue is that "it" happens too often. I've had Mediacom for years now and never remember the frequency of outages this numerous until recently. Two to three major outages in a month isn't what I call reliable. I swear it seem that the fiber lines are imprinted with "Please cut here ->" on them.
GLIMMER
join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER to Anonymous88

to Anonymous88
said by Anonymous88:

shit happens...besides its a residential service with no uptime guarantee so make sure you have a back up connection when working from home. Its not the end of the world. btw speaking of working from home dont call mediacom if your company does not allow VPN connection from the 50.x.x.x IPs

Nothing a tech can do about it and no we don't have the time to troubleshoot with your IT guy (sorry)

thats the problem with mediacom techs like you. My question where is mediacom with ip6 oh thats right no where. And you have to admit your employer lacks a redundant fiber ring like the big boys have. which is why mediacom will always suck.

Anonymous88
Premium Member
join:2004-06-01
IA

Anonymous88

Premium Member

Mediacom is not one of the 'big boys'. Mediacom serves areas that are rural and the 'big boys' don't find those areas profitable.
GLIMMER
join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER

insight had its own fiber ring and was smaller than mediacom dont give me that mediacom is to cheap to upgrade to have redundant systems. And from the looks of the job opening in areas pays its employees even worse.

The point is your employer sucks at being an ISP

Anonymous88
Premium Member
join:2004-06-01
IA

Anonymous88

Premium Member

said by GLIMMER:

insight had its own fiber ring and was smaller than mediacom dont give me that mediacom is to cheap to upgrade to have redundant systems. And from the looks of the job opening in areas pays its employees even worse.

The point is your employer sucks at being an ISP

That's your opinion so I guess we disagree. But yes Mediacom is a for profit company and they will save money whenever possible. Just like I said make sure you have a backup connection for your work from home. Going offline for a week sucks big time but it's not the end of the world.

Boss302_1970
join:2009-12-11

Boss302_1970 to David Wong

to David Wong
3 times does seem excessive, and yes while not the end of the world, it certainly isn't what they pay for either. Its very difficult to ever get a credit back if your service is down. here back a couple of months there was a fire in the MC headend, service was down over a solid day, we were all told wed get credited on our bills. that has yet to happen. I know if my service is down much i go to the best solution we all have here. I PM MediacomChad, That team they have there is the best thing to come from MC as long as i have been their customer.

kwbelt1
join:2006-06-03
Harrisburg, IL

kwbelt1 to David Wong

to David Wong
What a wonderful day. Its cool and cloudy. Oh yeah, internet and tv are both out. Again. It is getting really annoying.
gtrplyr0627
join:2004-09-22
Blodgett, MO

gtrplyr0627 to David Wong

to David Wong
Yep, here we go again. This is ridiculous. Shooting for the usual 10 hours down again Mediacom?

mike1965
Geek4rent
join:2002-09-23
Marion, IL

mike1965 to David Wong

to David Wong
the word is another cut cable.........either some one is not calling JULIE.........or "cut Cable " is code for our sytem is jacked

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

Everyone, please keep me posted if it comes back up.
Asasn
join:2012-09-04
Marion, IL

Asasn to David Wong

to David Wong
Yep, internet is off in Marion. Went off for about 20 minutes last night. Today was cut off again. This time been down about 5-6 hours. What a joke. Fiber cut again I'm guessing??

mike1965
Geek4rent
Marion, IL

mike1965 to David Wong

to David Wong
Friend of mine is Herrin said his just came back up....mine it still down

RyanThaDude
Indiana's No. 1 Zero
join:2004-01-24
Walkerton, IN

RyanThaDude to David Wong

to David Wong
Thankfully I wasn't online when the net went out. I noticed three outages; one just after 5 AM for about 10 minutes, one just after 4 PM for about 10 minutes and one around 7:20 PM for a few minutes.

Typical
gtrplyr0627
join:2004-09-22
Blodgett, MO

gtrplyr0627 to David Wong

to David Wong
Marion's back. What's going on with all these outages? Are they related to Clearwave's installation of fiber?

Lazy Senior
join:2012-01-10
Cobden, IL

Lazy Senior to MediacomChad

to MediacomChad
said by MediacomChad:

Everyone, please keep me posted if it comes back up.

It is awful hard to keep you posted when the Internet is off....

Mediacom Internet went down around noon and was off for 6-7 hours.
I called after a few hours and got the infamous recording "Yes we know about it and the engineers are working on it and do not call us any more." That recording is the most used recording at Mediacom and sounds like the same one I used to hear 6 years ago just before I went to Verizon DSL.

L.S.

JW
@mchsi.com

JW

Anon

Want to hear the worst part? Their internal ticket showed a fiber cut at 12:20, but they didn't update the ticket ONCE during the outage. All of those angry customer calls all day, and the best they could do was lie about someone working on it, because they honestly had no idea what was going on.

I talked to several reps who were so furious at the lack of updates today that they were flat out throwing their company under the bus. One of them said MC only had 2 CCIEs in the entire staff, and that neither of them actually worked on the network. True or not, even the MC employees thought the handling of the outage was amateurish, and were more than willing to talk about it today.

Heck of a ship those guys are running.

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

Hrm, I am showing multiple updates to the ticket so I am not sure what the reps were looking at when you called in. Generally outages like this require hourly updates (given, some of the updates may not have a lot of info when the main action is going to be splicing fiber) so it may be possible they were mistaken or looking at the wrong thing. Either way, I apologize for the downtime and thank you guys for the info.

Lazy Senior
join:2012-01-10
Cobden, IL

Lazy Senior

said by MediacomChad:

I apologize for the downtime and thank you guys for the info.

Forget apologizes. We have all heard that one too many times.
Why not answer the question of the thread? What IS going on?

4 outages in Southern Il in 3 weeks. Big outages. The official Mediacom excuse is always Cable was Cut. 4 cable cuts in 3 weeks? WHAT IS going on????

thissucks
@mchsi.com

thissucks to David Wong

Anon

to David Wong
Have had Mediacom since June and have already experienced three major outages. Mediacom needs to upgrade its equipment in a big way. How about a backup system?

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad to Lazy Senior

Premium Member

to Lazy Senior
The official answer is what was already stated. Each outage was a fiber cut that had to be repaired. Each cut was in a different area but caused a large amount of problems.

mike1965
Geek4rent
Marion, IL

mike1965 to David Wong

to David Wong
down once again......just went out 5 minutes ago

kwbelt1
Harrisburg, IL

kwbelt1

Mine has been fine all day.

JW
@mchsi.com

JW to MediacomChad

Anon

to MediacomChad
said by MediacomChad:

Hrm, I am showing multiple updates to the ticket so I am not sure what the reps were looking at when you called in

Then either you're outright lying, it's been updated after the fact, or you guys are actually so bad at what you do that your support agents don't even get to see the same ticket you do. I called in every 30 minutes for 7 straight hours, and everyone I talked to said "that's strange that the ticket hasn't even been updated," which then turned into "but you know what's even worse around here..." Heck, I called in so many times for updates yesterday that the agents just started telling me "there's no update to the ticket" before even asking for my name, address, and last 4.

One of your agents also said that you guys don't even run much Cisco stuff - that it's all just old Solaris boxes - which is what causes most of these outages. It all looks like a bad joke to us out here though, regardless of the reason.

Anyway, good to know MedicomChad is just part of the same old spin team.

K M
@myvzw.com

K M to MediacomChad

Anon

to MediacomChad
Our Mediacom broadband has been out since early Wednesday. We're on the west side of Carbondale. I've called tech support three times. Each time I spoke with Mediacom employees in India, each of whom says that the problem is with my computer (which works fine when plugged into the SIU broadband network).

I'm not using a router.

I 'power cycled' the computer and modem several times. The modem is on and the computer recognizes it, but I'm getting an IP address of 169.xx ..., which apparently is problematic.

Does anyone have a *local* Mediacom telephone number one can call (on Monday)? The Mediacom employees in India are nice but unhelpful.

Thanks.

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

Hello K M,

I will be happy to look into the connection issues you are currently having. Can you send me an IM with your account or phone number?
David Wong
join:2010-03-02
Chicago, IL

David Wong

Down again.

There was another outage on Sept 14th, so the score is area-wide, long-term outages on:

Aug 16
Aug 28
Sept 4
Sept 14
Sept 28

This is inexcusable.
David Wong

David Wong

Please note that the previous four outages were referred to by Mediacom as a "fiber cut." Their fiber was cut four times in 28 days. Be interesting to hear if this is a fifth.
David Wong

David Wong

Yep, they're saying ETA is three hours. Wow.

Is there anyone from Mediacom who can read this who has permission to speak about what is really going on with the hardware in the area? Anyone at all?
JTR
join:2012-05-19
Westmont, IL
MikroTik CCR2004-1G-12S-2XS
Asus RT-AC86
Asus RT-AC68

JTR to David Wong

to David Wong
said by David Wong:

Please note that the previous four outages were referred to by Mediacom as a "fiber cut." Their fiber was cut four times in 28 days. Be interesting to hear if this is a fifth.

Frontier used to use the same excuse... I'm fairly certain that either it's bullshit, or these fiber cables are strung across busy roads at head level with big signs on them saying "HIT ME".

kwbelt1
Harrisburg, IL

kwbelt1 to David Wong

to David Wong
Guess what happened about 2 hours ago? They can call this outage "System Maintenance" instead of a fiber cut.