uniqs
share rss forum feed

stvnbrs
Premium
join:2009-03-17
Cary, NC
kudos:5

PhysX Card?

Perusing the internets today has me questioning if I can't ebb out any more performance in my comp to get better gaming. I have made some recent purchases that will put my configuration looking like:

Case: Antec 300
CPU: i5 3570 w. stock heatsink
Mobo: ASRock Z75 Pro 3
Video Card: EVGA GTX 460 SE
Primary Drive: OCZ Vertex 4 SSD 128 GB
Data Drive: Samsung 1TB 7200 RPM

Now I have an old 9800GT video card lying around somewhere. The question I have is weather I can a)use the card as a dedicated PhysX card, and b) is it even worth it? My primary game of choice atm is GW2 and I will likely delv (as little as possible) into WoW MoP. I haven't done much digging into the PhysX option as I assumed most cards carried a separate processor to provide the physics function, but if I can offload that onto another card, I would assume that it would help increase performance (as long as the card can handle the load.) Info on this would be appreciated. Thanks.
--
Goggalor: "Freedom of speech is not freedom of asshattery."

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

AFAIK GW2 does not support PhysX and therefore adding the second card won't do anything to improve your gameplay.

»www.geforce.com/hardware/technol···pc-games

You'd be better off upgrading to a 560Ti or higher--the 460 SE was a pretty weak card even when it came out.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

primeomega

join:2004-03-11
De Pere, WI
reply to stvnbrs

Just to give you a idea on what you would look for. I test out batman (new one) with my 660. I had a 560ti as a phys card. I got about 5 fps more. The min. fps did stay about 10 more with it, so that was nice.

I think the general rule is the phys card can not be 1/2 less cuda cores then the main card.

That one and metro are the only 2 that I know that use it right now. Though could be more, just don't know of them all. It's not a very large thing on the market.

stvnbrs
Premium
Cary, NC

Thanks for the replies. I won't be using the physx card. The goal was to increase performance with current gear. I will see how well it goes with the current upgrades, from what I read 4 cores is ideal for the GW2. I can run fine in medium range, but come to a crawl as soon as a bunch of action starts.
--

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN
reply to stvnbrs

When I was first looking to upgrade my 275GTX, I went and got me a 460SE. It was slower than my 275 and I took it back. Silly me for not paying better attention to what that SE meant.

So...I'm with Kris on this one. Time to upgrade that card, especially with all that other really nice hardware you have in that rig.

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ
reply to stvnbrs

You'd have to look carefully at the games that you have, and see if they even use PhysX, before you decide on whether it's worth sticking the second card in for it.

In my case, I was surprised I had more than a few games that did use PhysX, so I left the 8800GTS I previously had in for that job. There's also the fact that some games employ it as a hidden setting, and if your system doesn't have one dedicated for the job (namely, Borderlands comes to mind), then it simply won't turn it on at all, even if your system could handle it in software fine.

A lot of UE3 based games use it, even if indirectly... so it was worth it for me. YMMV
--
Because, f*ck Sony

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
reply to stvnbrs

The only game I own currently that actually uses PhysX is Arkham City. And damn, it's pretty.

Other then that, I don't think there's a whole lot of other titles to choose from.

primeomega

join:2004-03-11
De Pere, WI
reply to stvnbrs

Metro does too, but it's a older title.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV

said by primeomega:

Metro does too, but it's a older title.

Ah yeah, I forgot about Metro 2033. I own that one too. Haven't played it much though.

That game will put the smack down on even a high end PC.

stvnbrs
Premium
Cary, NC
reply to stvnbrs

I was incorrect about my video card. I don't have the SE version, but the 460 GTX 1GB model. With the upgrades recommended by everyone I was able to gain 70 fps in regular play and am able to run high graphics settings even in WvWvW. Just wanted to say thank you.
--