share rss forum feed

altermatt
Premium
join:2004-01-22
White Plains, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Yet again E-mail VERY slow

Yet again, all VZ email is incredibly slow coming down today, and often is timing out completely. Email from my domains is speedy as always---it's just Verizon accounts. Because this is an ongoing issue that VZ REFUSES to acknowledge, I called two other local VZ customers---one in my building and one about 12 miles away---and they both report exactly the same issue today. This is in Westchester County, New York.

I know I've posted before and some say they have the same issue, but there's been no solution. Just people making fun that I still use VZ email---I DO have both my own domain email addys and Yahoo and GMX accounts, but also rely on VZ for other uses.

Does anyone have any info to add? Anyone else seeing this? Anyone else get a different answer from VZ than a refusal to acknowledge any issue?

It does always clear up, work great for a while, and then happens again.
--
The truth of a thing is the feel of it, not the think of it. -- Stanley Kubrick

JTBurn

join:2003-11-08
Ellicott City, MD
Yes, mine is terrible today. I have not noticed this before? I'm in Howard County, MD.

Lawrence

@verizon.net
reply to altermatt
Same problem for several weeks - in eastern Mass.

altermatt
Premium
White Plains, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to altermatt
Thanks guys for responding. Hearing that it's that widespread actually (oddly) makes me feel better, since it may be a temporary system-wide issue that will be resolved soon. Though it does bring up my (boring, I know) oft-posted rant again about the fact that VZ refuses to acknowledge known outages/issues and never posts on their website. If it weren't for DSLR, many of us would never know "if it's them or us".
--

amn70

@optonline.net
reply to altermatt
I have a FIOS business customer that is experiencing the exact same thing today and is located in Stony Point NY. The verizon email is slow and/or timeouts. It will sometimes start retrieving mail and then just suddenly get stuck and time out or hang for a while and then complete. I spoke with Verizon support and they could not find an issue. One thing that I noticed is when I do a Traceroute request to incoming.verizon.net it times out after it gets to the IP 206.46.225.210 which is a verizon IP related to vzlink.com. It continues to time out thru all the remainings hops. I mentioned this to the Verizon tech and he said he opened a ticket on it and will escalate it to see if it could be related. He did honestly say that Verizon will probably deny there is a problem. I personally think the problem is indeed related to what I found with the traceroute so its a router of theirs out on net causing this issue.

Gerryex

join:2006-05-19
Land O Lakes, FL
reply to altermatt
Hi ALL,

I'm in the Tampa, FL area and I too am experiencing very slow Vz e-mail. I have seen this before but never bothered to call tech support. I usually hang out in the FiOS TV forum here but I wanted to see if others are having this problem so I came to this forum. If its still happening tomorrow I will call tech support.

Gerry

dick white
Premium
join:2000-03-24
Annandale, VA
reply to altermatt
Over the past several months, this seems to be a middle of the day issue. Mornings and evenings it clears up and the email server is responsive again. Though I have not tried it myself, I strongly doubt that calling tech support or hanging out in the Verizon Direct forum will have any noticeable effect on the situation. Deep inside the technical department(s) they may have some plans for upgrading server/gateway capacity or some other technical detail, but at the public customer service level, if you get your email at all, they have fulfilled their contractual obligation to provide "best effort" service and therefore F. you.

dw

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9
reply to amn70
said by amn70 :

One thing that I noticed is when I do a Traceroute request to incoming.verizon.net it times out after it gets to the IP 206.46.225.210 which is a verizon IP related to vzlink.com. It continues to time out thru all the remainings hops.

This is probably by design. incoming.verizon.net resolves to 206.46.232.10, which is a component inside the email system. That server, and perhaps other intermediary hops beyond x.225.210, is set to ignore ordinary ICMP traffic.

The way you would see if there is a router out on the net causing the issue is by looking at times. Even long delay times won't kill a connection quite so much as widely varying times.

Lack of ping response is not necessarily an indication of system failure.

altermatt
Premium
White Plains, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
Seems to be working fairly well today.

I'm far from savvy about network design, so birdfeedr may be right, but I will say that I, like amn70, have often noticed time outs or long delays doing a traceroute during these slowdowns that I don't see at other times. I'm also struck by the fact that the VZ tech confirmed that VZ will probably deny that there is a problem; that has been my experience as well, even as it turns out (upon speaking to a manager) that they ARE aware of an issue and are working on it.

As I have said many times before here, the rare (although this is getting less rare by the month) outage or issue is NOT a dealbreaker---technology is notoriously complex. What IS an issue for me is their refusal to admit problems, post about them, and keep us apprised of ETAs when available. Some time ago I recall we had a severe slowdown in all Internet service that affected the whole East Coast and despite literally hundreds of posts here and in other forums from all over reporting it, people calling tech support continued to report that they were being told there was no system problem and put through hell with them "troubleshooting" the user's computer. And never a single post on the website. That's my complaint, not the rare hiccup.
--

amn70

@optonline.net
reply to birdfeedr
said by birdfeedr:

said by amn70 :

One thing that I noticed is when I do a Traceroute request to incoming.verizon.net it times out after it gets to the IP 206.46.225.210 which is a verizon IP related to vzlink.com. It continues to time out thru all the remainings hops.

This is probably by design. incoming.verizon.net resolves to 206.46.232.10, which is a component inside the email system. That server, and perhaps other intermediary hops beyond x.225.210, is set to ignore ordinary ICMP traffic.

The way you would see if there is a router out on the net causing the issue is by looking at times. Even long delay times won't kill a connection quite so much as widely varying times.

Lack of ping response is not necessarily an indication of system failure.

Well I can tell u that the ping times up until that last successful hop which is that verizon IP averaged 10ms. But on the verizon IP it jumps to an average of over 50ms which seems kind of high to me.

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to altermatt
I'm still seeing the issue on Southern California as of 9/5 10am. I've seen this before (it's been a few months) and it usually takes a few days for Verizon to get their act together. I always see problems like this from other providers (AOL is notorious on IMAP) but not Verizon. POP3 e-mail is not rocket science -- it's been around forever. When I managed my corporate e-mail system had I had problems like this I would have been fired immediatly. Sigh.

altermatt
Premium
White Plains, NY
reply to altermatt

Happening AGAIN

Started timing out again around 2-ish EST this afternoon. Dang.

Eebobb
Premium
join:2003-11-13
Floral Park, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
I don't know about you guys in NY but my internet is slow as hell downloading anything anywhere and any speedtest is giving me like 2 to 10 mb download and it's been like this a few days. I can't even watch any youtube videos and have some nasty packetloss on line quality tests and some websites can't even ping me even thought I am pingable.

altermatt
Premium
White Plains, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
Funny you should say that, Eebobb. Just about the time the email issues returned this afternoon, I had a devil of a time getting some websites to display, including DSLR when I went to post about the renewed slowdown. This may well be a network issue on VZ's part and not just email...

Just did a speedtest however, and my speeds are normal. My ping time on the other hand is WAY higher than usual, though not at a bad level---I ordinarily have extremely low pings and now it's showing 13. Again, speeds normal and I'm no longer seeing web surfing hiccups, though email continues to be flaky, sometimes working and sometimes timing out. Definitely really bad in the afternoon, laightly improving this evening.

--

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9
reply to amn70

Re: Yet again E-mail VERY slow

said by amn70 :

Well I can tell u that the ping times up until that last successful hop which is that verizon IP averaged 10ms. But on the verizon IP it jumps to an average of over 50ms which seems kind of high to me.

I'm running 11ms to the backbone router in NY. The next hop is down in Dallas/Ft.Worth at 61ms, which is consistent with the geographical distance. Email server farm appears to be in Texas, which would account for the timing.

Hop	Hostname					IP		Time 1
1 my-desktop.local 192.168.0.8 0.223
1 DD-WRT 192.168.0.1 0.465
2 L100.PRVDRI-VFTTP-19.verizon-gni.net 173.69.39.1 6.333
3 G0-3-2-0.PRVDRI-LCR-21.verizon-gni.net 130.81.131.164 6.146
4 so-2-1-0-0.NY5030-BB-RTR1.verizon-gni.net 130.81.22.36 11.339
5 so-4-0-0-0.DFW01-BB-RTR1.verizon-gni.net 130.81.17.41 61.246
6 so-1-0-0-0.DFW03-CORE-RTR1.verizon-gni.net 130.81.20.157 61.134
7 po1.ctn-border1.vzlink.com 206.46.225.85 63.739

Eebobb
Premium
join:2003-11-13
Floral Park, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to altermatt
Check out my speed tests it's only incoming to me but outgoing is fine. My download is lucky to get 2 to 5 mb and my upload is fine and any trace route or line quality test to me has bad packetloss.

»/testhistory/898756/4df1d

altermatt
Premium
White Plains, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to altermatt

Now it's TV!

So this morning both email and the internet seem to be running fine, but my TV is com[pletely pooched---many channels not coming in at all. Will post in the TV forum, but can't help but think it's related.

And damn if I'm going to call tech support and have them mess up all my settings because they refuse to admit it's on their end, like they did last time.
--

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27
I received two calls today from a client (NewHope, PA) that is on the 150Mbps FiOS package and their email (verizon accounts) is showing up hours after they get the same email on their mobile devices.
Been this way for over a week.
They thought it was the LAN I put in and reset it all, but (duh) the emails are still showing up late/slow.

They are also seeing issues on some HDTV channels.

I am glad others posted same issue as it saved me a headache thinking it was hardware I put in (been working 24/7 for months without issue).
--
Splat

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:3
reply to altermatt

It's now 9/6 noon Pacific time and it's still happening! POP3 has been around since 1988! What's the issue Verizon?

HD_Ride
Premium
join:2000-10-18
Jerseyastan
reply to altermatt
It is very slow here in the central NJ as well. Sure 150 or 300 Mbps download speeds (if you want it) but just can’t have stable POP mail, what a joke.

cmthru

join:2005-03-19
Rockville, MD
reply to altermatt
Just want to chime in from Maryland. Very slow here as well. Takes close to 90 seconds to retrieve a 14kb email. Seems to vary throughout the day and night. Sometimes it's up to speed and minutes later back to a slower than snails pace.

HD_Ride
Premium
join:2000-10-18
Jerseyastan

1 edit
reply to altermatt
My concern now is if the outbound mail isn't reaching the destination. I sent two emails last week and to an existing (long time) contact and was advised neither were received. It is starting to look another VZ special…..

Edit: typo

altermatt
Premium
White Plains, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to altermatt

Again today

Just in case it helps anyone coming here, the slowdowns/timing outs are happening again today. Either total time out or verrrrry slow in connecting and then downloading much of the afternoon. It's now almost 6 pm and still very slow.
--

cmthru

join:2005-03-19
Rockville, MD
reply to altermatt

Email sort of cleared up for a few days. But now it's inconsistent again. Regardless of the time of day downloading multiple emails at once some will come though at high speed and some extremely slow.

altermatt
Premium
White Plains, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by cmthru:

Regardless of the time of day

I can say that over the last week or so, it's been very clear that the slowdowns are much worrnoon, as someone had posted earlier in this thread. And they continue, albeit only occassionally now, not consistently. It's extremely annoying watching the hourglass while waiting for mail to come down, and then timing out. Yet still absolutely no acknowledgement from VZ.

Has anyone here actually spoken to someone from VZ who has confirmed the issue, and maybe given some idea if they are even working on it?
--

thetick

join:2009-06-22
White Plains, NY
I'm seeing very slow response. The web interface is fast so I'm using that and just leave my Thunderbird email program always running. It eventually gets new emails.

Major Tom

join:2002-04-05
Newark, DE
reply to altermatt
Same problem in Delaware for the last 2 weeks. Have 2 accounts, use to take 2-3 seconds to check now takes up to a minute or times out. Hope this gets fixed soon.

McBane

join:2008-08-22
Plano, TX
I'm glad I run my own mail server on my FiOS. Speedy as can be.

altermatt
Premium
White Plains, NY
reply to altermatt
Unbearably slow for much of today, with short periods of everything working fine. Not just afternoon---it was timing out this morning, too.
--

altermatt
Premium
White Plains, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to altermatt
THIS IS RIDICULOUS. Email continues to time out or come down extremely slowly, now more often than not. When this started, it was occasional, and many here reported noticing it mostly in the late afternoon. Now, at least for me, it is happening throughout the day, with VERY rare occasions when it works right. It either times out or hangs for a long time and then retrieves the mail. I can usually eventually get the mail, but often after two or three time-outs.

Is anyone at VZ listening? Are others still noticing this or is it just me now? I'm seeing a lot of posts more recently about slowdowns in internet (which I'm not noticing much) but not specifically about email anymore. Would love to hear from others if you are noticing this.
--