horacebork
Premium
join:2011-03-17
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·voip.ms

1 edit

elderly verizon prepaid phone - want to use iphone

first, i have been searching for this information all over dslreports, and cannot seem to find it. if it's there, please point me in the right direction.

i have an elderly prepaid plan - actually from 2002. i have had it on a couple of phones. my current phone is a Samsung SCH-u540. (flip phone.. yeah, i know..)

it's time for me to get a smart phone. thinking iphone, but open to others. what i'm faced with is having this plan on my iphone. when we did the same for my wife (on att), we just took her sim card out, slipped it into the iphone 3 and bingo.. worked perfect.

i want to somehow use this smart phone with my current plan. of course, the official drill is "impossible". however, i am thinking, "hey, there's some really smart folk out there."

i would even consider a jump to att (they have some nice prepaid plans) if the smartphone of my choice could be somehow connected to the plan.

so i'm turning to you as a last resort. can i do this thing or not? unlock/jailbreak is fine with me if that's what it takes. hope it doesn't have to, but..

thank you so much for any help.
--
".. the sofa has just vanished." ".. well, that's one mystery less."

dmc271

join:2008-09-02
Stillwater, OK

There is some discussion on this topic at HoFo:

»www.howardforums.com/showthread.···lus-data

PagePlus uses Verizon's network and is prepaid.

It might be worth waiting until the iPhone 5 comes out, at which time the price of the 4 and 4s might drop a bit.

horacebork
Premium
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·voip.ms

1 edit
reply to horacebork

it does indeed look grim for using iphone on verizon with a prepaid plan. as per usual, this is a $$$ story.

** strongly considering a move to att. is the situation any different there? iphone with their pay-as-you-go plan?

--

horacebork
Premium
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·voip.ms

ok, been doing s'more research. i really want to keep prepaid status, and i really want the iphone (a whole 'nuther thread, i'm afraid =)

here's what i have in mind:

1. verizon sux.
2. buy a bottom of the barrel att prepaid
3. buy an iphone and swap sims
4. now the iphone is prepaid on att network
5. port number from verizon to att
6. now i have my number, iphone and prepaid.

waddaya think? am i nuts?
--

hottboiinnc
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH
reply to horacebork

VZW will NOT allow any post-paid phone of their's on Prepaid. They did awhile back, but recently this has been changed.

you're better off going to a GSM provider and getting an unlocked phone.

kevnich24

join:2006-04-19
Mulberry, FL

Probably because all post paid phones are LTE and they have no prepaid atm for LTE. Once they do have prepaid LTE for voice, spectrum rules say they have to allow any device on it. I would say another 12 months and we'll probably see a voice LTE prepaid plan. With their shared plan pricing the way it is, I'm definitely interested in prepaid. I like verizon service but their pricing is getting out of hand.

horacebork
Premium
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·voip.ms
reply to hottboiinnc

right. i think verizon is not compatible with my needs any longer.

which is why my new plan to
1. get the att prepaid
2. switch it to an iphone
3. then port my vzw number to att.
--

kevnich24

join:2006-04-19
Mulberry, FL

If ATT works in your area, that's what I'd recommend. Plenty of info on the internet about getting it to work with an iphone. And free from a contract

nokiatech

join:2000-10-18
Stuart, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to horacebork

Not sure what your usage is but take a look at straight talk also. It uses ATT's network.

Also keep in mind an ATT prepaid phone sim will not physically fit into an iPhone 4. The use micro sims. you'll have to cut the sim to fit which carries with it some risk of damage to the SIM.

horacebork
Premium

right - cutting the sim is an issue. i've read where the att store will do the cutting for you. either that or get a sim cutter (for a single cut!)
--

ggma1126
GGMA1126
Premium
join:2008-08-30
Claymont, DE
reply to horacebork

My son has an Iphone and the people at the Verizon Wireless store told him he could use it on a prepaid plan but of course you have to get the data plan

horacebork
Premium
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·voip.ms

you can -- if you buy their super-expensive plan.
my current vzw plan costs me $15/mo.
it's grandfathered in.

but i think the new att prepaid is much cheaper.
$100 and it lasts for up to 1 year. when not using the cell, it's $8.33/mo
--