spc
Search similar:

uniqs

blondie13
@restechservices.net

blondie13

Anon

Need Help with hooking up 2Wire

I am new to the whole router world and am a college student trying to hook up a router so I can get wireless internet. My dad had an extra 2wire router model (2701HG-B) around the house and he said I could use it, but was unaware himself how to hook it up. I am now stuck trying to set it up. I have an apartment where they supply the internet, so I have ethernet jacks in 2 of the 3 rooms but want wireless throughout the apartment. I was looking for some direction on how to hook up the router to get wireless. Please and Thanks.

Jennifer
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

Sorry, the 2Wire is not made for an internet service provided by Ethernet. The Wide Area Network(WAN) for most 2701's is supplied by a telephone line. If you look at the back of the 2Wire you should see a connection labeled phone line at the top of the device. That is where a DSL WAN connection would be made.

What you need is a plain wireless router.

Depending on how much money you can afford, you can get them from very basic at $50 to very complex at $250.

blondie13
@restechservices.net

blondie13

Anon

Thank you very much for the insight! Any suggestions on cheaper routers that are somewhat reliable?
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman to blondie13

Premium Member

to blondie13
I have used the Vizio dual band router successfully
»www.target.com/p/vizio-d ··· 12769368

This is also supposed to be a good router »homestore.cisco.com/en-u ··· prod.htm

»www.bestbuy.com/site/Cis ··· =2210106
bbear2
Premium Member
join:2003-10-06
dot.earth

bbear2 to blondie13

Premium Member

to blondie13
I believe what you are asking for is to use the 2wire as a "wireless access point". That is to connect it to your existing Ethernet connection and get wireless from it. If so, then yes you can do and here's how: »what can i do with my old 2wire dsl modem?

And it's pretty simple. See wayjac's post in that thread about 1/2 way down dated: 2010-08-14 14:42:40
bbear2

bbear2 to blondie13

Premium Member

to blondie13
And if you don't want to go that route, the D-Link DIR-601 is a very nice basic wireless router that will do you fine.

»www.amazon.com/D-Link-DI ··· s+router

I have used this one often and for under $25 you can't beat the quality and feature set. It also does WPA2 encryption (this is important).