TP-Link Archer C7
Linksys WRT54GS
Linksys WRT54G v4

1 edit

Bill_MI to robman50

MVM

to robman50

Re: mounting a share at boot

I couldn't find any way to do it on the Unity desktop I've been playing with, but I'm still lost with it.

But Ubuntu 10.04 was doable with a little fanageling...

On the desktop I right-click->Create Launcher. Set TYPE to "Location". There was a browse option that was next to useless so I put in the location "smb://Hostname/Sharename/" without quotes. Works! But that's Gnome 2 (sigh). Maybe that's how you did it before?

I saw no desktop Launcher of ANY kind in Unity. Again, the exact distro/desktop you're using is a must. Is it Unity? I've been trying to give it a chance - nice hot-key support if I didn't have to redo them all.

EDIT: Maxo posted the what must be what I initially used a few years ago. Maxo, it looks familiar!

The best way I can think of helping is to make you aware how the fstab mount method differs in details how Nautilus mounts things. Nautilus uses a different method which has a buzzword "fuse" and it differs in sometimes-gotcha ways.
robman50
join:2010-12-14

robman50

Well before when I did it I was all over Google and I copied and pasted the command to the correct files but I forgot to bookmark that site and backup the fstab and .smbcredentials. I was using lubuntu 12.04 at the time, than I switched to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and hated it. So I found an older xubuntu 10.10 cd and it wanted to upgrade to 11.04. So now I am running xubuntu 11.04.

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
MVM
join:2001-01-03
Royal Oak, MI
TP-Link Archer C7
Linksys WRT54GS
Linksys WRT54G v4

Bill_MI

MVM

Well, I have a bunch of distros loaded while I play seeker, too. But Xubuntu 12.04, not 11.04, and it may make a huge difference as XFCE has been changing a lot.

This works GREAT in Xubuntu 12.04 like this...

Right-click desktop -> Create URL link. Name it what you like and under URL use "smb://Hostname/Sharename". It can permanently store credentials, too. Viola!

Why do I have this nagging feeling it won't work in Xubuntu 11.04?
robman50
join:2010-12-14

robman50

said by Bill_MI:

Why do I have this nagging feeling it won't work in Xubuntu 11.04?

Something worked. I now have an icon and when I open it it brings up a window that shows everything on my network share.
robman50

robman50 to Bill_MI

to Bill_MI
said by Bill_MI:

This works GREAT in Xubuntu 12.04 like this...

Should I climb the ladder up from 11.04 to 11.10 and up to 12.04? Or should I just burn a CD and install xubuntu 12.04?

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL

Maxo to Bill_MI

Premium Member

to Bill_MI
said by Bill_MI:

On the desktop I right-click->Create Launcher. Set TYPE to "Location". There was a browse option that was next to useless so I put in the location "smb://Hostname/Sharename/" without quotes. Works! But that's Gnome 2 (sigh). Maybe that's how you did it before?

In the latest Ubuntu you can do something similar. Either from the desktop or a Nautilus click File->Connect to Sever. Then fill out the information regarding your Windows share. Or in Nautilus just presl Ctrl-L then type the smb://Hostname section and press enter. Once in your share choose Bookmarks->Add Bookmark.
The lack of the "Create Launcher" has nothing to do with Unity and is instead based on configurations in Gnome/Nautilus.

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
MVM
join:2001-01-03
Royal Oak, MI
TP-Link Archer C7
Linksys WRT54GS
Linksys WRT54G v4

Bill_MI to robman50

MVM

to robman50
Glad to see things may be coming together.
said by robman50:

Should I climb the ladder up from 11.04 to 11.10 and up to 12.04? Or should I just burn a CD and install xubuntu 12.04?

Well, 11.04 support stops next month but 12.04 goes to 2015: »xubuntu.org/help/

Every 2 years, Ubuntu (and Xubuntu, and Mint and most Ubuntu-based) does their Long Term Support (LTS) release and 12.04 is just that. Ubuntu itself is going 5 years this time but Xubuntu is saying 3 years. Mint is saying 5 years. They vary.

I'm on the previous LTS (Ubuntu 10.04) but looking for a replacement. Xubuntu 12.04 is definitely in my running at the moment. HTH