All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
BrewBoy5
join:2002-04-28

BrewBoy5 to rbnice1

to rbnice1

Re: New home build framing question.

I showed the pictures to my structural engineer today. Concerning the rim joist he said it is not an issue, as I said, it is a compression load and the majority of the weight is transferred to the joists anyway. As far as the top plates, he said it's up to the inspector to determine it a steel tie strap would be required, there is not enough information in the pictures make a judgement. By the way he is a licensed structural engineer in Oregon, Washington, Idaho and Colorado.

Ken
MVM
join:2003-06-16
Markle, IN

Ken

MVM

I don't know any structural engineers that would look at a picture and tell you something is ok or not. Way to much liability on them to do something like that.

rbnice1
join:2000-12-16
Imperial, MO

rbnice1

So... I looked at a couple of the other houses that are that same floor plan as mine today and talked to the carpenters. They told me the rim joist kerfs are normal they do it all the time. I still don't like it and since its to late to change it, i will be adding gussets on the inside of the house to add lateral support.

As to the top plate lapping. They lapped all the outer walls and the wall that is normally the load bearing wall for that support. Looking at one of the other houses the wall that is running parallel to the steel beam is not under it. I am trying to get the blueprints to see why my wall is off. It is not just my wall that is off but 2 other houses as well.

I am not sure if I am making sense.. with out seeing it in person it is hard to describe.

whizkid3
MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY

2 recommendations

whizkid3 to Ken

MVM

to Ken
said by Ken:

I don't know any structural engineers that would look at a picture and tell you something is ok or not. Way to much liability on them to do something like that.

I would have to disagree. No contract, documentation or stamp; just commenting to a friend on a photo = zero liability. I don't know of any engineers who would not do that; its completely common.

Sorry to be a jackwagon, but regardless of your differing opinions, suggest you guys focus on the project rather than insulting all of the forum posters, inflated resumes that we can't check & who can piss further, higher and straighter. I appreciate both of your opinions and am learning something here. Lets keep it technical.

Ken
MVM
join:2003-06-16
Markle, IN

Ken

MVM

Fair enough
Ken

1 recommendation

Ken to rbnice1

MVM

to rbnice1
said by rbnice1:

They told me the rim joist kerfs are normal they do it all the time.

I'm sure they do it all the time, but that doesn't change the fact it's just poor workmanship. If they let the lumber guy know not to send out junk wood like that they would have to come up with work arounds. It's really just laziness more than anything.
said by rbnice1:

As to the top plate lapping. They lapped all the outer walls and the wall that is normally the load bearing wall for that support. Looking at one of the other houses the wall that is running parallel to the steel beam is not under it. I am trying to get the blueprints to see why my wall is off. It is not just my wall that is off but 2 other houses as well.

Usually the builder will have a standard plan and then optional upgrades for it. Usually a common upgrade will be to move the back wall out 2' or something similar. Perhaps you and the other 2 houses either have the same upgrade over standard, or you have standard and all the others have the upgrade. Might not be the back wall either, a garden tub upgrade also will bump an interior wall over a bit.
kherr
Premium Member
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL

kherr

Premium Member

As far as sending junk wood, if you need enough of one size, they'll just send out an entire bundle right off of their rack and never pick out individual boards. Been there done that. It is then up to you to bad order individual boards. Usually you buy precuts by the bundle. When using the same size floor joists on a two story house(as it may be for this instance) they probably need enough to use an entire bundle.

As for as getting good individual boards, the only way to ensure good stock is to pick it out yourself. The yard has no time to hand pick 40 of one size., 20 of another, 30 of yet another .... and so on. They load many delivery trucks in a day. At best they'll throw aside the obvious ones. If they continue to send out junk, time to change your source.

I only know first hand where the builder was assured of good individual boards, he had controlling interest in the lumber yard .....

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

Coma to rbnice1

Premium Member

to rbnice1
said by rbnice1:

I looked at a couple of the other houses that are that same floor plan as mine today and talked to the carpenters. They told me the rim joist kerfs are normal they do it all the time.

That statement suggests that this new house is in a new housing development, is that correct ?

If so, then that also suggests that the general contractor is more of a project manager for the development and defers to the sub contractors to use best practices. At this point the general contractor does not have daily site interaction (single lot) and the entire housing development becomes a tract housing project or "Builder Grade Housing" at best.

I'm just trying to sort through the facts.

rbnice1
Imperial, MO

rbnice1 to Ken

to Ken
Ahhh yes. The other house that the wall and beam are slightly different does have the back wall pushed out 4 foot in the living room area.(optional upgrade.)
rbnice1

rbnice1 to Coma

to Coma
Yes this is a house being built in a neighborhood by a builder. They are building 3 other homes right now in the neighborhood, and 1 other builder is building 2 other houses as well.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to BrewBoy5

Premium Member

to BrewBoy5
said by BrewBoy5:

I showed the pictures to my structural engineer today. Concerning the rim joist he said it is not an issue, as I said, it is a compression load and the majority of the weight is transferred to the joists anyway. As far as the top plates, he said it's up to the inspector to determine it a steel tie strap would be required, there is not enough information in the pictures make a judgement. By the way he is a licensed structural engineer in Oregon, Washington, Idaho and Colorado.

How about the steel beam bearing?
BrewBoy5
join:2002-04-28

BrewBoy5

The OP stated in an prior post that the contractor comes back at a later date and secures and grouts the beam. Standard procedure.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell

Premium Member

said by BrewBoy5:

The OP stated in an prior post that the contractor comes back at a later date and secures and grouts the beam. Standard procedure.

True but the shims that are now in place are not adequate even if they are going to be grouted!

rbnice1
Imperial, MO

rbnice1

They added shims so it should be fine now. Just a sham they didnt have it right to begin with.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

New pic?

rbnice1
Imperial, MO

rbnice1

So never got any pics of the shims but basically they doubled them up so the shims run the width of the opening so there is no chance of them slipping off like they were.

As far as updated they have it basically finished framing.

Will be going by tomorrow they actually have the rafters done and most the sheathing.