spc
Search similar:

uniqs

haroldo
join:2004-01-16
USA

haroldo

Password keeper

I've been using a free password keeper, The Vault, that's just a note page locked up. It's okay, but I manually have to copy changes between devices.
I don't know if this exists, but, is there a password keeper that:
1- Syncs automatically between iOS and OS X (would that kill the security aspect?)
2- Has web links with your stored information, so if you want to got to XYZ bank, you just click the page in the keeper and it goes right into your account
3- is reasonably priced

Thanks!

scooby
Premium Member
join:2001-05-01
Schaumburg, IL

scooby

Premium Member

lastpass.com is excellent. Free on the computer and $1 a month for mobile device access.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium Member
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
STRIP.

www.zetetic.net

Been using it for almost 15 years ...

ctgreybeard
Old dogs can learn new tricks
Premium Member
join:2001-11-13
Bethel, CT

1 recommendation

ctgreybeard to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
1Password does all of that and more.

There are plugins for all the major browsers, IOS apps, with seamless sync and strong security.

It's a no-brainer for me.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to scooby

MVM,

to scooby
said by scooby:

lastpass.com is excellent. Free on the computer and $1 a month for mobile device access.

Is there anyway to have a local database with lastpass? It seems like all of your passwords are stored on their servers for synchronization.

That's one thing I like about 1Password - you have a choice where to store the password database (local, DropBox, or your own server). I do not like the price tag, however, and my trial is up soon.

dbj
join:2001-07-26
Santa Cruz, CA

1 recommendation

dbj to haroldo

to haroldo
I use a combination of 1Password and Dropbox to have my passwords available securely on all my macs as well as my iPhone. Can't beat 1Password.

I personally don't trust lastpass's model of storing passwords on their servers (don't ask me why, just a personal preference of having control over my own files).

The way I set things up is like this, I link each Mac to my Dropbox account and put my 1Password key chain on Dropbox. Since that keychain is encrypted, there is no issue with it sitting on Dropbox's servers.

I also link my iPhone to Dropbox and have purchased the 1Password Pro app for the iPhone and that in turn uses the same key chain so all my devices always have access to all my passwords.

The bonus is that 1Password automatically fills logins on all major browsers (Safari, Firefox and Chrome).

I know that 1Password has a version for Windows, but I've never tried it.

P.S. I have no affiliation of Agilebits (1Password developers) other than being a satisfied customer for over 5 years now.

Cheers
MichelR
join:2011-07-03
Trois-Rivieres, QC

MichelR to haroldo

to haroldo
I just moved (mostly) from the Windows world a month ago. I've been using the free KeePass for Windows for a few years. There are a couple of versions for the Mac (one native, one based on Mono) but they are both short on features and really awkward compared to the Windows version. However I found that KeePass for Windows runs really well under Parallels in Coherence mode.

KeePass encrypts its database, but I store it on DropBox in a BoxCryptor (free for up to 2Gb of data) container, which adds another layer of encryption. Yeah, I'm a bit paranoid.

Anyway - not as clean an option as 1Password (which looks like a great piece of software from what I just saw on their web site), but it's a free, powerful alternative if you already have Parallels on your system.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan to ctgreybeard

Premium Member

to ctgreybeard
+1 for 1Password. I thought the price was steep but now I can't be without it and it runs on Mac, Win, iOS and Android by sharing the stored password via Dropbox which obviously also supports all of those clients.
skeechan

skeechan to dbj

Premium Member

to dbj
I use 1Password for Windows and it works great, seamless just like on the Mac. My ONLY beef is that the plugins look different. They perform the same functions but those functions are in different places. I think it would be better if they had a unified GUI for Mac+Win.

haroldo
USA

haroldo to skeechan

to skeechan
Does iPad/iPhone require two purchases?

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

2 edits

skeechan

Premium Member

Not if you get "1Password Pro". The non-pro version is specific to phone or tablet but Pro runs on both. I think the non-pro is $10 for phone OR tablet and Pro was $15 and can be installed on both phone and tab.

But it is a separate purchase from the Windows client and Mac client. So getting all setup with 1Password can get pricy but I'm tellin' ya, it's so worth it. It just works and I've have zero problems with it. And given how many times a day I log in to stuff, I'm getting my money's worth.

And I will really get my money's worth the next time someone like Sony gets hacked. Before 1PW I shared a lot of PW's between sites and would have to go through the PITA of changing everything. Now every site gets its own 5 zillion random character long PW.

EDIT - If you also need it for Windows, you can buy a bundle Mac+Win direct from Agilebits' website (which is what i have). Otherwise you can get the Mac version in the app store. BTW 1PW for Android is free.

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties to MichelR

Premium Member

to MichelR
+ 1 for 1password3 w/Dropbox and Boxcryptor.

(1Password encrypts and stores the file on my Dropbox and Boxcryptor add more protection...no one ever got ___ from being paranoid!)

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
I use my brain

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium Member
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
·Verizon FiOS
Ubiquiti NSM5
Synology RT2600ac
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

TamaraB to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan
said by skeechan:

+1 for 1Password. I thought the price was steep but now I can't be without it and it runs on Mac, Win, iOS

I like the write-ups and it got great reviews. If I purchase this, will a single user license allow me to run it on my iMac, MacbookAir and iPhone? Or does each device require another $50.00 license?

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

iOS and OS X licenses are separate and valid for all the devices in your control. And for iOS there are 3 license choices: 1Password for iPhone, 1Password for iPad or 1Password Pro for iPad+iPhone. The non-pro version is $10, the pro is $15. Each license is based on the platform so 1 license key can be used for all of your personal devices on the same platform (eg 2, 3 or 4 Macs or for 1PW Pro, iPhone and iPad). Also Mac and PC licenses are separate but they sell a Mac+PC bundle where the same license key unlocks both the Mac version and PC version of the software. 1Password for Android is free.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

1 edit

MaynardKrebs to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
From Bruce Schneier - author of 'Applied Cryptography', Blowfish, Twofish, & Skein hashing algorithms
Windows-only at this point but it's now open-source, so who knows when a Mac version might come along.

»passwordsafe.sourceforge.net/

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium Member
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx

TamaraB to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan
Thanks! I just want this for my 2 Macs, I don't use iPhone much for browsing. So the one $50.00 purchase from the app store is what I need right?

Bob

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

Correct.

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207 to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
I really like LastPass integration and the level of control it offers. I trust their servers far more than I would by using a solution that employed Dropbox. It's only $1/month for the premium service, and it's definitely worth investigating as an option.

Remember, all of your passwords that you keep locally are sitting on a server someplace where you log in, hopefully encrypted and not in clear text. (I'm looking at you Sony and DSL Reports ) Having a strong, unique password for every online site I visit with access available from all of my devices that have internet access has been great. I could not tell you what any of my passwords are at the moment, but I can get access in 2 seconds to any site that needs my password.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

I like dropbox because I can pull a copy of the password archive off dropbox and store it locally as a backup or use it if for some reason I couldn't reach dropbox. Can Lastpass do that (let you DL a copy) or are you sorta at their mercy, meaning if their site goes down are you stuck?

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207

Premium Member

Absolutely, although I've never run into this problem in well over a year of use.

»lastpass.com/support.php ··· &id=1206

Da Geek Kid
join:2003-10-11
::1

Da Geek Kid to haroldo

to haroldo
another +1 for 1password

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Numquam oblitus
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ

tmpchaos to haroldo

Numquam oblitus

to haroldo
Passing along (contact me for code):

Special Offer – AgileBits 1Password and more: 25% Discount
Too many passwords to remember? 1Password 3 for Mac is a password manager that goes beyond simple password storage by integrating directly with your web browser to automatically log you into websites, enter credit card information, fill registration forms, and easily generate strong passwords.

As an Apple user group member, you are entitled to get new licenses of 1Password for Mac at 25% below the normal retail price. You also get a 25% discount on new licenses for everything else in the AgileBits store.

haroldo
USA

haroldo

So there's 1Password, 1Password Pro and 1Password 3?
Any other iterations?
What does 3 get you that pro doesn't?
Thanks!

Merak75
AKA "Vukodlak75"
MVM
join:2001-10-27
Willoughby, OH

1 recommendation

Merak75

MVM

1Password 3 is the desktop app for OS X
1Password Pro is iOS app that works on all iDevices.

I have been using 1Password for 2+ years.

haroldo
USA

haroldo

thanks!
so I'll need both 1PW3 and 1PWPro, right?

Da Geek Kid
join:2003-10-11
::1

Da Geek Kid

no you do need both, unless you want use the app for your iOS device...

Merak75
AKA "Vukodlak75"
MVM
join:2001-10-27
Willoughby, OH

Merak75 to haroldo

MVM

to haroldo
said by haroldo:

thanks!
so I'll need both 1PW3 and 1PWPro, right?

Yes, if you want to have your passwords on your iPhone (or iPad/iPod).

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan to Da Geek Kid

Premium Member

to Da Geek Kid
And you only need the $15 Pro if you are running on both iPhone/Touch AND iPad. There is a $10 non-pro version for iPhone OR iPad (as in iPhone version doesn't run on iPad and vice versa).

scooby
Premium Member
join:2001-05-01
Schaumburg, IL

scooby

Premium Member

boo, no Linux support from 1Password.