spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tonyram57

join:2001-11-08
Brooklyn, NY

[11217]It all started when I upgraded to double my speeds.

You could of asked me on August 25th and I would have gave RR a 10 out of 10 but now they deserve a 1 out of 10. Most of the time my connection is fine but then all of a sudden it will go dead. Can't ping crap yet my modem shows that it is connected. Swapped my Unbee modem and they gave me the RCA DCM425. Although the connection was about the same it still went dead so I would reset it. Today it was fine but the speeds slowed down from 20 down to about 3 down but my upload is still 2 down.

EDIT: Speeds are back to about 11 mbps.

What I want to know is can a bad coax connection cause this because the coax that is connected to the modem is 18 years old. Had it when I had cable in 1994 and then it was reconnected in 2001. I have a tech coming tomorrow and I want the coax line replaced. Can a bad coax cause these issues?

kilrathi
Premium
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY

Well if ur modem doesnt show anything bad in log or signal changes when those problems occur then most likely the node or your area is simply congested or having problems/upgrades, welcome to tw of 2012 though, constant problems

tonyram57

Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

I know and TW is my only choice besides crappy Verizon DSL which is worse. You people who have a choice of FiOS I am jealous of you.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:15
reply to tonyram57

Exactly what tier are you subscribed to?

What are your signal levels at »192.168.100.1 ?

G0d

@rr.com
reply to tonyram57

Check out Verizon forums there are plenty of people crying there also. You always want what you cant have. Besides a speed change just doesn't cause your service to mess up there is something else. You should post your modem levels and logs.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Time Warner Cable
reply to tonyram57

The exact same thing happened to me. TWC had "Turbo" RR (20/2) for $5 more, so I signed up. Coincidentally, that's when my modem started rebooting on it's own or just dropping the connection. I went back to standard (10/1) and still had the same problems. While it's been dropping less these past few days, it still happens occasionally on my RCA DCM425 modem.
Whenever they'd send a tech out they'd replace the modem, the signal levels would be fine as usual, and the problem would return in a few hours.
--
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken

tonyram57

Brooklyn, NY

Click for full size
My modem would not reboot but it dropped the connection once with the RCA DCM425 but still show all four lights on. It did it more with the Unbee modem.

Well the tech came out today and replaced the line going into my modem from the backyard. The main line to the backyard he said I had a strong signal. He said the line going from the modem had water in it and was cracking. Now I do notice now my speeds are faster. We will see how it goes.

By the way here are my signal levels.

spdickey

join:2002-11-17
Pacific Palisades, CA

BTW, don't know why you are getting such bad results... but I'm real happy with my TWC connection.

tonyram57

Brooklyn, NY
reply to tonyram57

Connection is great since replacing the line.
Even streaming music is smoother.
Time will tell if it stays that way.

tonyram57

Brooklyn, NY

Yesterday afternoon my connection went out a few times but I saw a TWTech guy working on the street and when I called they said there was a problem in the area. After he was done everything was fine.

However my Return path power level went up to 48.7 dBmV and now I am on Channel ID 4. It is hotter today then yesterday. Does the heat have anything to do with it because my download and upload speeds are great and my ping test is still a A. Anyone can chime in?

Wait a minute. I just noticed yesterday I was on 16 QAM but now I am 64 QAM. What is the difference? Sorry but I am just learning all of this tech stuff about cable modems.

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to tonyram57

better pray u have no noise on your upstream or you will see a lot more problems on 64qam/higher symbol rate upstream.

tonyram57

Brooklyn, NY

Time Warner sucks the big one. I have yet another service call coming in tomorrow. Yesterday around 8 PM my speeds slowed down and today at exactly 8 PM it slowed down again. I called them up and downgraded to the standard service but it was still slow and lag. I would load websites and it would not load and time yet before 8 PM the speeds were great and I had no problem. Around 9 PM my modem rebooted three times and my speeds are still slow.

The tech on the phone told me to connect the modem directly to the laptop and he said that I have been having a lot of packet loss and disconnections. I don't know what the tech would do but I do want a new modem. I am getting really disgusted with this service. Last month I would have rated it great but now it is terrible yet I am stuck with these losers because FiOS refuses to ever be available in my area.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY

Every time a tech came out to fix a problem of mine, they swapped modems.
It didn't help, but you never know.

tonyram57

Brooklyn, NY

I went down to the TWC office to swap my modem today and I was with my mother. She told them that I did not want another old modem so the guy gave me a Motorola Surfboard SBG6580. I saw that it it is also a wireless router and I told the guy that I already have a router and will it work with my current Netgear 3500L and he said it will.

I hooked it up and it connected to my router and it is working however reading posts on here it mentions about bridge mode by turning of NAPT. I tuned it off and it rebooted and all I noticed was that the WiFi light blinked like there was activity. With NAPT on the lights on the modem and my router don't blink with activity. With NAPT off the activity light blinks on my WiFi and the router. I called up TWC tech support and she told me to just reset the modem and leave the settings the way they are buy leaving NAPT on and since I don't pay for their WiFi is is grayed out and disabled.

Also during all of this the send and receive light started to blink at the same time and then it rebooted. Is that because it updated the firmware. Sorry if I am asking so many questions it is just I never had a modem this advanced. I only had a Toshiba, RCA and UBee.

Back to my first question should I just leave NAPT on because either with it on or off the send and receive lights don't show activity. The tech told me as long as the globe is lit that I have a connection.

Also here are my signal strengths.

Downstream Bonded Channels
Channel Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Frequency Power SNR Correctables Uncorrectables
1 Locked QAM256 148 315000000 Hz -0.9 dBmV 40.3 dB 0 0
2 Locked QAM256 145 297000000 Hz 0.1 dBmV 40.8 dB 0 0
3 Locked QAM256 146 303000000 Hz -0.2 dBmV 40.5 dB 0 0
4 Locked QAM256 147 309000000 Hz -0.4 dBmV 39.9 dB 0 0
5 Not Locked Unknown 0 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB 0 0
6 Not Locked Unknown 0 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB 0 0
7 Not Locked Unknown 0 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB 0 0
8 Not Locked Unknown 0 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB 0 0

Upstream Bonded Channels
Channel Lock Status US Channel Type Channel ID Symbol Rate Frequency Power
1 Locked ATDMA 4 5120 Ksym/sec 38800000 Hz 43.0 dBmV
2 Locked TDMA 1 2560 Ksym/sec 19000000 Hz 43.0 dBmV
3 Locked ATDMA 2 5120 Ksym/sec 23800000 Hz 43.0 dBmV
4 Locked TDMA 3 2560 Ksym/sec 28600000 Hz 43.0 dBmV

Remember all I have is Earthink Standard I dropped the Max because of connection problems.
Also the software version says SBG6580-3.5.8.2-GA-00-488-NOSH is that current.

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to tonyram57

Only 1 of your upstream channels is above 30Mhz while I have 2 and both of those usually hav noise so you may be in better luck.

tonyram57

Brooklyn, NY

No luck with the new modem. Connection was fine till around 6 pm now I am getting very slow uploads and the tech on the phone says I am getting 96% packet loss. Also these losers pushed back my appointment to October 8th.

This is the worse company I have ever deal with but they are still my only provider.

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to tonyram57

96% packet loss that the tech sees and ur tech appointment is october 8? wtf woah ask to have client relations rep assigned and to call u that way you can definitely get appointment much earlier once u speak to one and describe what is going on.

I am curious to see your modem logs if you can see them?

tonyram57

Brooklyn, NY

Tue Sep 18 23:06:46 2012    Critical (3)   Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=e4:83:99:6a:f6:4a;CMTS-MAC=00:1b:d5:fe:f9:b0;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0; 
 Tue Sep 18 23:05:20 2012    Critical (3)   Unicast Ranging Received Abort Response - Re-initializing MAC;CM-MAC=e4:83:99:6a:f6:4a;CMTS-MAC=00:1b:d5:fe:f9:b0;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0; 
 Tue Sep 18 23:05:09 2012    Critical (3)   Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=e4:83:99:6a:f6:4a;CMTS-MAC=00:1b:d5:fe:f9:b0;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0; 
 Tue Sep 18 23:05:09 2012    Critical (3)   Unicast Ranging Received Abort Response - Re-initializing MAC;CM-MAC=e4:83:99:6a:f6:4a;CMTS-MAC=00:1b:d5:fe:f9:b0;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0; 

That is all I can post I am typing this on my iPod. But it keeps repeating itself.

tonyram57

Brooklyn, NY

Also I run a speedtest and ping test in the afternoon it is great with A. in the evenings the upload goes to crap.

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to tonyram57

Looks like issue on upstream for sure, have you asked them to log your modem and waht your upstream snr values are and how they flactuate?

tonyram57

Brooklyn, NY
reply to tonyram57

They are saying that my modem keeps going offline and I am getting disconnecting even for a few seconds.

Just ran a speedtest and even my download is only around 3mb and upload is 0.03 mb. Then a few minutes later it is back to normal then a few minutes later it is crap again. Starts in the evening as the afternoons and late night it is fine.

Also the afternoon the logs did not show these errors.

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to tonyram57

try going also to »visualroute.visualware.com/ and run few tests thre to nearest location to see if you getting problems on both downstream and upstream as far as packet loss, delays etc.... but if both down and up is affected similarly then it could be some general problem or congestion going on

tonyram57

Brooklyn, NY
reply to tonyram57

Thanks for the link but I have to try it when I go on my laptop as the iPod does not support flash.

tonyram57

Brooklyn, NY

I cleared my logs last night before I went to bed. I checked them today and the intermediate and slow connection 4:44 AM till 4:55 AM it was only about 10 minutes but still it was intermediate and I know many people are not online in the middle of the night.

tonyram57

Brooklyn, NY
reply to tonyram57

I called them early this morning about trying to get a earlier appointment and the woman on the phone called me back and gave me a early appointment tomorrow. Also my connection just slowed down right now so this better be fixed tommorow.

tonyram57

Brooklyn, NY

Just called them after I got the phone call for the appointment. I might not need it because the message I got was that they admit that there is a problem in the area and I would get a automatic call back when it is fixed. We hope.

tonyram57

Brooklyn, NY

1 edit
reply to tonyram57

Cancelled my appointment because I got a call that the problem was fixed. Watched Netflix tonight and everything streamed great. Problem fixed. Nope. About 20 minutes ago my upload goes to crap again so I call and yell at them they say we don't see a problem in your area but you are getting 45% packet loss and now I have a appointment for October 11th.

Can anyone PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me. I can't cancel TWC as much as I want to because I have no choice.

tonyram57

Brooklyn, NY
reply to tonyram57

Forgot to say that they did credit me $8.11 besides the $1.92 and $6.96 for downgrading back to Standard. With this crappy service I should get it for free but at least it is 17 bucks less I have to give to these monopolistic losers.

tonyram57

Brooklyn, NY

2 edits

Upload just went to crap again. I am getting 10.24MBps (great)/upload fail with 14ms ping. Same as last night. At least it is not as bad as it was on Monday and Tuesday when my download was crap too.

Also I can't check the logs or the signal strength since they bridged my SBG6580.

tonyram57

Brooklyn, NY
reply to tonyram57

Reading the Verizon FiOS fourms have issues too and you have to use there crappy router. Problems with iDevices with there router. Forced to install useless softwate that slowd down your computer. Maybe the grass is not green on the other side.

Still want it in my area as I know many of my neighbors will switch and it will lighting the load on cable.

Also I suppose to get a call back around 2 o'clock for a earlier appointment. It sounds like a outside problem a bad tap as I was on the phone all evening. Also since I have EL Standard one of the techs said it was not comparable and I would have to switch to RR Standard for 10 bucks more because I am using the Surfboard. Then I spoke to two different techs and they said that does not matter as I am getting 4 channel bonding on the upload.