Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

WalkGood
Checkin Out Your Desk
Premium
join:2002-12-28
Patchogue, NY

goDaddy upset I have folders with no index.html What the?

I have a private website, hosted by goDaddy for about 6 yrs or so. The "root" folder has a single index.html that just displays a picture. It doesn't "do" anything and there are no links to anything.

There are some sub-folders that have some basic html to display family pictures. Some of the folders have an index.html and some do NOT have one. But they do have other html files to display pics.

goDaddy "Network Violations Dept" contacted me and said that I am in violation of their hosting agreement. This is because I have no links on my main page. And I have no index.html in other folders. Plus, some folders have no html at all, just contain jpg files.

goDaddy is upset that I have 15 GB of jpg files that have no html code to display them. I pay for 150GB of space and unlimited bandwidth. They don't want me to have folders that are just storing pics. If I had simple index.html page in each folder that just displayed the pics they would be happy.

I don't have any links on the "home page" so that the general public doesn't find my family pics. I just tell friends and family the full path name to the html that display the pictures. Kinda a "poor mans" website security.

My position is, I pay for the space they shouldn't care if there is any html code there or not. As long as I am not doing anything illegal, they shouldn't care.

I think they want me to pay extra for the data backup storage plans.

They want me to add index.html to subfolders to display the jpg images. And if a folder already has html to display the pics but NOT called "index" they want me to either change the names to "index" or create "index.html" that redirects to the existing html files.

This blows me away.

Why would they "REQUIRE" index.htm for subfolders? Is this to help the web bots crawl around to catalog my website for google and bing search engines?

Anyone ever experience this issue before?

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
said by WalkGood:

Anyone ever experience this issue before?

No. But I do have experience with Godaddy hosting. It's the most cumbersome, restrictive, hardest-to-deal-with hosting provider I ever have worked with. Granted that's not a ton. But more than a few.

There are better, similarly priced options out there. If they don't want your business, move elsewhere.

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2
reply to WalkGood
Move away form them. Move far and move fast...
(based on personal experience)
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

JohnKirchner

join:2005-04-30
Great Falls, MT
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to WalkGood
I agree...run from godaddy! I dropped them for better hosting that includes cpanel. I went to Host Gator and have not regretted it at all. Although, most hosting companies do require some sort of index page in all folders, claimed as security reasons.
--
I would change the world...if only I had the source code to it.

RenHoek
You Eeeediot
Premium
join:2000-10-02
Peyton, CO
reply to WalkGood
Just put a simple index.html file in there that says that the contents of this directory are none of godaddy.com's business.
--
Don't touch that, it's the history eraser button you fool!

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
reply to WalkGood
Set up your own small webserver at home. You don't need a crazy machine, realistically even a P3/256M/Win2000/Apache combo will do... Only pay for domain name registration and point the host to your home IP. No more issues about what you can and what you can't do. The $100/yr you pay will cover the price of electricity and then some more...

WalkGood
Checkin Out Your Desk
Premium
Patchogue, NY
reply to JohnKirchner
said by JohnKirchner:

Although, most hosting companies do require some sort of index page in all folders, claimed as security reasons.

So, what are these "security reasons"???

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
Fort Wayne, IN
said by WalkGood:

So, what are these "security reasons"???

I don't think they are security reasons, but to prevent the directory listing from showing. However if they wanted to prevent that, they could just disable it across the entire server. Or they only really want to allow it with limited circumstances and not by default.

Not agreeing with the reason, but just explain the likely thinking.

ProtusMose
Immortal. Eternal.
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Bellevue, NE
kudos:4
reply to WalkGood
Only thing I can think of is they want him to use their backup storage service instead of the hosting service and the "security reasons" is the excuse.

WalkGood
Checkin Out Your Desk
Premium
Patchogue, NY
reply to cdru
That supposes that someone would know the sub-directory/folder name(s) to type in a browser.

If the root directory has an index.html with no links to other folders/directories then the sub-directories would not be known or shown.

WalkGood
Checkin Out Your Desk
Premium
Patchogue, NY
reply to ProtusMose
said by ProtusMose:

Only thing I can think of is they want him to use their backup storage service instead of the hosting service and the "security reasons" is the excuse.

Yep a money-grab. I am already paid up til mid 2014 for my hosting plan. They want more money.

The dweeb on the phone said that goDaddy doesn't want to keep backing up files that do not change. My position is, tough noogies - I paid for hosting and they agreed to do backups. It shouldn't matter if they keep backing up pics of Great-Aunt Gertie and her poodle over and over, it's what they get paid to do.

Whether it is a static html webpage of pics, a directory of pics with no html or even their backup service, they are still backing up data.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
Fort Wayne, IN
reply to WalkGood
said by WalkGood:

That supposes that someone would know the sub-directory/folder name(s) to type in a browser.

If the root directory has an index.html with no links to other folders/directories then the sub-directories would not be known or shown.

Many directories that aren't directly linked to by a parent directory have been "found" over time. All it takes is one mention in a forum, blog post...some place where a search engine indexes.

howardfine

join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO
reply to cowboyro
Depends on what he's serving and whether his ISP allows it. Lots of images and video makes a home server too slow uploading due to connection speed.

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
said by howardfine:

Depends on what he's serving and whether his ISP allows it. Lots of images and video makes a home server too slow uploading due to connection speed.

A reasonably-compressed, full-screen picture is about 100-150k. There should be no bandwidth issue unless the connection is 128k up... It's not like the OP is expecting some 1000 simultaneous users...

ProtusMose
Immortal. Eternal.
Premium
Bellevue, NE
Exactly. 50 hits per picture in a directory when the "Hey, check out my christmas pictures" e-mail goes out and likely never again.

howardfine

Saint Louis, MO
Reviews:
·AT&T Southwest
Put 5-10 of those pix or try to play some reasonable length video and then get back to me.

I may have missed it but if it's just a friends and family thing then go for it but I used to run a test server for clients to preview sites from my home office using dsl and that quickly became unusable.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
said by howardfine:

I may have missed it but if it's just a friends and family thing then go for it

You did miss it. It's right there in the first post:

I don't have any links on the "home page" so that the general public doesn't find my family pics. I just tell friends and family the full path name to the html that display the pictures. Kinda a "poor mans" website security.

--
♬ Music is life ♬

ReaperOS2
Send Me Dvd's
Premium
join:2001-02-27
Round Lake, IL
reply to WalkGood
For the directories, that I do not want anyone going to, I have this for the index.php:

<?php 
// Index file.
echo "Access Denied"
?>

Or put an index file that redirects back to your "home page."

--
DVD Collector;

"OS/2? I'm already Warped! Do I need the software, too?"

howardfine

Saint Louis, MO
Why do you think he uses PHP?

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
Fort Wayne, IN
said by howardfine:

Why do you think he uses PHP?

ReaperOS2 said that is what he does. He didn't say that is what WalkGood uses. Regardless, if he doesn't use PHP, that would still work as long as index.php has higher precedents as the default page and PHP is supported. Or he can use the equivalent in whatever ever language he wants. Or just a static HTML page that says Access Denied.

Shesh.

howardfine

Saint Louis, MO
Reviews:
·AT&T Southwest
Oh. Ok. If I knew that then I would have supplied the same solution in Lisp. Which he could use if Lisp is supported on his server and he gives precedence to it over any other index he uses. Or he could rewrite the Lisp code to any language he wants to use.

Of course, I'd be assuming he knows how to program. And knows Lisp. And uses a program at all. And can modify his server to do all that.

Shesh.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
Fort Wayne, IN
Don't be a dumbass. All Godaddy plans support PHP. No server modifications required. And as long as he didn't have any index.* files except index.php he would likely meet Godaddy's requirements.

Even if he doesn't know a lick about programming, everything that he needs was in the post. Or he could just ask a follow up question.

Ken
Premium,MVM
join:2003-06-16
Markle, IN
reply to WalkGood
In the past I have used various photo sharing systems on my website, and they all worked basically the same. You have a folder for all your pictures. Inside that folder the pictures are organized into other folders based on how you are setting up the albums (people>son's name>1st birthday party and so on). All of those sub folders have no html files of anykind in them just a bunch of .jpgs. I'm guessing that if you installed such a system into your root folder and set it up so anonymous users aren't allowed to view anything that by itself would pass muster with godaddy. However you could go one step farther and actually put your pictures into that system and require new accounts to be approved, and only then after you have manually approved an account they can see your pictures.

howardfine

Saint Louis, MO
reply to cdru
This reminds me of all those programming threads where replies say, "Just use jQuery!" but what if the coder doesn't want to use jQuery or javascript at all and there's an obvious solution using CSS.

ProtusMose
Immortal. Eternal.
Premium
Bellevue, NE
reply to cdru
My, that was kind of harsh.