uniqs
share rss forum feed

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1

[iPad] Corrupt iBook Download

I bought a couple of books from iBooks and there seem to be some error pages in one of the books suggesting missing chapters. I just wanted some input suggesting how to address this. I thought I could simply re-download the book in question but I didn't see any such option.

I would be grateful of any help here.

Thanks in advance.

Oct.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4

1 edit

1 recommendation

Delete the book(s) first: tap edit, tap on title(s), then tap delete. Next, tap on Store then Purchased and re-download.
--
♬ Music is life ♬

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

1 recommendation

Thanks I think that did it

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to Octavean

Ok, my wife has informed me that the ibook i bought for her still has some oddities in it even after deleting it and re-downloading it. For some chapters which seem to be completely omitted it has the following message:

quote:
This page contains the following errors:

Error on line 1 at column 1: Document Is empty error on line 1 at column 1: Encoding error

Below is a rendering of the page up to the first error.

And as I said before, the entire chapter seems to be omitted. My Wife read the free sample of the book first and can confirm from that reading that there are missing chapters after the error message in the iBook I bought for her.  If this happens with each download of the book I'm thinking I can't fix this on my own.

Is there a way to return the defective book and get a refund?

For what it's worth the iBook in question is Elizabeth Noble's "The Friendship Test".

Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Oct.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to Octavean

OK, this is what fixed it:

»discussions.apple.com/thread/310···tstart=0

Turns out I just needed to update iBooks.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH

nice. A question, as I seldom use Apples book reader. Does Apple accept submissions from Smashwords?
Smashwords is a "publisher" of e-books. It seems mainly for writers just starting out. I know if the author doesn't follow the submission guidelines 100%, the resulting e-book will have a few errors in it.

Smashwords sells books, they also sell on Amazon and B&N, not sure if they are in the ibook store.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

Yeah, I’m not too sure on that question,…….

Personally I kind of struggled with the decision to go with iBook or the Amazon Kindle app. In the end I went with iBooks because I had money on my account via an iTunes gift card. I think usuability might have been a bit better with the Kindle app because I could run that seamlessly with other devices including a Mac and a PC whereas I don’t think there is even a way to get iBooks on the Mac.

Correct me if I am wrong there but it just seems odd (and wrong) that you cant read your purchased iBooks on a Mac,……

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH

I have used ibooks, Kindle and Nook apps. I left ibooks [because it's not cross platform], and kindle [because I want to support the "little" guy].

I agree, I think that if Apple wants it's ibooks to take off, they need to make it a cross platform app.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.