spc
uniqs
harald
join:2010-10-22
Columbus, OH

harald to kilrathi

to kilrathi

Re: [TWC] packet loss / service degraded - amp in rockaway park,

The new CMTS if in the same location as the old CMTS, not NJ.

What is your source for knowing that you are on a new CMTS?

kilrathi
Premium Member
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY

kilrathi

Premium Member

First hop beyond my modem would be CMTS no? With old one I couldnt even resolve or ping first hop but since CMTS migration there have been 2 different 1st hops, originally a one with hostname that had nj.res in it but after I saw some scheduled work on the queens few days ago on network status page now its a ny.res first hop its kinda weird, but I assume the first hop is cmts am I correct? or at least should be near it.

Either way they had work on sunday and monday on network status page showing HUB-G C### #/# TO #/# ALL UPS FREQS under degraded service and ever since that was removed I have no problems once again for a day now, I noticed they have more ALL UPS FREQS but different hub today so maybe they been doing and are doing major work either way I am glad there are no problems again for a day but as I stated many times before there been times where everything was fine for a day or 2 and then bam, so unless I see this problem gone for like a week or 2 I wont be celebrating.
harald
join:2010-10-22
Columbus, OH

harald

"First hop beyond my modem would be CMTS no?"

No. Modems are layer 2 devices (bridges that route packets based upon hardware addresses) and do not show up in traceroutes.

The address that you've attributed to the CMTS is actually the next router after the CMTS. Unfortunately one cannot rely too much on the location information implied by the naming of routers internal to cable systems. Keeping them up-to-date and accurate is not a priority for a lot of cable companies.

Probably has nothing to do with your problems. Sounds like they may be having some noise problems on the upstream freequencies.

kilrathi
Premium Member
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY

kilrathi

Premium Member

Well yes, I know there is noise on upstream frequencies I know which ones too, the one positive is that new cmts uses max 16QAM on upstream and thus there is less problems in theory with noise as it can operate at lower SNR, with old cmts 2 of the channels were 64QAM and their snr would jump between 18 and 30, with old cmts i could add extra splitters that caused the 2 higher modulation channels to T4 time out due to power level being too high and then quickly remove splitter which caused only the 2 16 QAM channels/frequencies to operate for upstream, this way there was never any problems however I had to reboot the modem usually after a day since I could not renew the ip lease this way.

Based on many calls and the above results both 30.6 and 23.8Mhz frequences is where the noise occured, however T3 did mention the logs showed biggest snr jumps and noise on the 30.6Mhz frequency channel.

Currently with new cmts there been more days with no problems than with problems so I have hope. While I maybe optimistic please remember that the problem was horrible between end of may and until 2 weeks ago when cmts was migrated, and only way I had good connection was with my splitter trick. Aside from 1 month for which I got refund I still paid full 100 bucks for that service so I am more than nice to time warner. I hope that this current pattern of last 2 days holds for long as there was no T3 timeout errors or problems for nearly 2 days now.