how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

grumpi

join:2001-03-28

4 edits

2 recommendations

New Versions of Norton Internet Security and AntiVirus..

The NEW Norton Internet Security and Norton AntiVirus Have Been Released:
»community.norton.com/t5/Norton-I···p/796674

MagMan
Life is simpler when you tell the truth.
Premium
join:2003-10-01
Westlake, OH

1 recommendation

Thanks, just updated my NIS.
Quick install one reboot, no problems

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
reply to grumpi

I'll be monitoring the Norton forums for a while before deciding to deploy this update.
»community.norton.com/t5/Norton-I···feedback

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY
reply to grumpi

See the other thread I started recording some of the significant changes that have been made to the software. They are not in the best interest of most users! While the installation is very simple and works the end product has problems.

MagMan
Life is simpler when you tell the truth.
Premium
join:2003-10-01
Westlake, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
·AT&T Midwest

said by Msradell:

See the other thread I started recording some of the significant changes that have been made to the software. They are not in the best interest of most users! While the installation is very simple and works the end product has problems.

That is not an issue for me I've used RoboForm for yrs.

So I don't use it.
--
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."

scelli
Native New Yorker
Premium
join:1999-08-07
FLOT/FEBA
kudos:1
reply to Dustyn

said by Dustyn:

I'll be monitoring the Norton forums for a while before deciding to deploy this update.

A real rumble over there regarding Symantec's very poor decision to stick end users with a Facebook portal on the toolbar...whether they want it or not.

Stay tuned.
--
The maximum effective range of an excuse is ZERO meters!

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
Louisville, KY
reply to grumpi

Noticing they changed without worrying about customer feedback was the vault where you store personal information. Unless you do an upgrade for a previous version you don't have an option to have it stored locally, the only option is to have it stored on the Symantec cloud! As far as the toolbar goes, not only does it have the Facebook share but it's also about three times bigger they used to be. It's very obvious that they no longer worry about customer feedback, most think they are Microsoft!

Floriana

join:2012-05-23

1 recommendation

reply to grumpi

The new version looks promising. Thanks for sharing.
I read article that Norton Internet Security is among the top three of the best anti-virus program in detection rate.
I will have a try with the new version.
--
Clean & Optimize Your PC with Cloud System Booster for Peak PC performance.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to scelli

said by scelli:

said by Dustyn:

A real rumble over there regarding Symantec's very poor decision to stick end users with a Facebook portal on the toolbar...whether they want it or not.

Stay tuned.

I'm getting a new computer very soon now and will be looking at AV programs. I would have looked at Norton but no way if it has a Facebook portal on the toolbar that can't be removed. That is AWFUL! The mandatory cloud crap so many vendors have now is another thing I will not tolerate.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
Louisville, KY

said by Mele20:

I'm getting a new computer very soon now and will be looking at AV programs. I would have looked at Norton but no way if it has a Facebook portal on the toolbar that can't be removed. That is AWFUL! The mandatory cloud crap so many vendors have now is another thing I will not tolerate.

The toolbar can be fully removed ages can be modified to get rid of the Facebook portal.

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
Louisville, KY
reply to Mele20

Mis-posted

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN
reply to scelli

said by scelli:

said by Dustyn:

Stay tuned.

I don't even see anything over on Symantecs forums about this. If there was such a rumble over it... I don't see much of anything on their forums.
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

scelli
Native New Yorker
Premium
FLOT/FEBA

1 recommendation

»community.norton.com/t5/Norton-T···p/797228
--

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN

1 edit

I see it now, thanks. It's in the Norton Toolbar / Identity safe forum and not the NIS/NAV forum which is why I missed it.
Actually, I don't think it will be an issue for myself at any rate as I've never used the Norton Toolbar.
I just disable the toolbar from showing but allow the BHO to continue functioning to provide protection.
Hate all toolbars. Even from a company I like.

scelli
Native New Yorker
Premium
FLOT/FEBA

said by Dustyn:

I see it now, thanks.
Actually, I don't think it will be an issue for myself at any rate as I've never used the Norton Toolbar.
I just disable the toolbar from showing but allow the BHO to continue functioning to provide protection.
Hate all toolbars. Even from a company I like.

You're correct that for some it probably isn't a big issue, but others like myself use a stripped down toolbar to access the Identity Safe function. Openly admit my chagrin is twofold on this issue: First off, I despise Facebook just for what it portends to be as well as its ubiquitous interference in so many facets of the Internet, media and life in general. Picked up a cereal box the other day and the company asked me to "like" them on Facebook. Huh?

Secondly: Like the bro-ha over the Ask toolbar installed by NIS a while back, this sort of stuff has no business whatsoever in a paid application. BTW: Got my renewal notice from Symantec for another year and it will cost $69.99. For that price, I demand to be Facebook free!
--

dfwwsdcwddcw

@cust.o2.ie

How about $14.99 and not Facebook free? Scroll down the page: »www.wilderssecurity.com/showthre···t=330508

Zoder

join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL

From browsing their forum, it looks like NIS 2012 has had a hard time preventing new variants of Zeroaccess trojan from infecting computers. I was hit with one myself last year that lophatphuud had to help me remove.

Have they improved the engine to cut down on these attacks getting through?

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN
reply to dfwwsdcwddcw

Nice find!
Thank you for this.