spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

alan92rttt

join:2012-02-27
reply to NuclearXP

Re: Anyone ditching WOW Ultra TV equip. for Ceton?

While the Q looks interesting its just a vapor product for now. I've seen reports saying it won't be available till sometime next year.

It does look nice and it will be worth taking a look at once its released. For me an important feature would be the ability to record from a direct HD analog feed(copy recorded content from the ultra system) and saving to a format that I can easily copy to a home PC.

NuclearXP

join:2012-04-12
Trenton, MI
Alan - good question, hopefully someone can answer that, although I'm pretty sure they encrypt that and use some sort of HDMI check to ensure you're not copying it. Also, I'm a bit unsure how you'd get an HDMI output from your UltraTV gateway/player into a PC?

Another thought I'm pondering is just what benefits the Q offers over just buying a PCI-E adapter and running your video services through a PC? I have a very fast server I could just leave on to serve up TV to my XBOXes and tons of server disks to record content to. This would even facilitate leaving my DLNA server on all the time that runs on the same server anyway. So I guess to re-ask the question, what does the Q get over a MediaPC setup? Different menu? Search? Anything scheudling related? I think internet TV is a moot feature because TVersity/PlayON could serve up the same content now that a MediaPC is an option.

TKJunkMail
Premium
join:2005-12-09
said by NuclearXP:

Another thought I'm pondering is just what benefits the Q offers over just buying a PCI-E adapter and running your video services through a PC? I have a very fast server I could just leave on to serve up TV to my XBOXes and tons of server disks to record content to. This would even facilitate leaving my DLNA server on all the time that runs on the same server anyway. So I guess to re-ask the question, what does the Q get over a MediaPC setup? Different menu? Search? Anything scheudling related? I think internet TV is a moot feature because TVersity/PlayON could serve up the same content now that a MediaPC is an option.

The advantage of the Q over building your own machine comes down to how much you want to mess with it. The Q is more akin to a cable box than a PC, from a hardware standpoint. It still runs Windows Media Center and everything that goes with it, but you have something that is supported by one vendor. I'm hoping they'll have Netflix, Hulu, etc. clients included as well, but nothing has been said in that regard yet.

qbwaggle

join:2012-05-31
Troy, MI
reply to NuclearXP
said by NuclearXP:

Others have already answered, but here's my take:

Advantages of Ceton Q over PC w/ PCIe tuner
- Less complex setup (plug-n-play)
- Blu-ray integration (I don't think you could natively play BD from WMC... I could be wrong)
- Probably lower power / quieter ... won't know until it's released
- Looks nicer in your entertainment center
- 6 tuners (InfiniTV PCIe tuner only has 4 tuners)

Advantages of PC w/ PCIe tuner over Ceton Q
- Potentially more "hackable" to add more features/plugins/codec support/etc
- Cheaper (especially if you already have a server or spare PC)