Juke Box
His Word Never Fails
Premium
join:2001-01-29
Proverbs 3
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..

Best DSLR for Video

I am looking for the best all-a-round dslr camera that does video very well.

I know most DSLR camera's that do video recording are capable of 1080p but not all cameras are the same in that arena.
For example, some do excellent 1080p recording but require an external mic for better sound, adding to the cost and weight of the camera.

Some claim to have excellent built in mic, Canon T4i comes to mind, but is new.

Of course I want to take superb pictures, also.

If anyone has some insight to this my search, it would be greatly appreciated.
--
All I know is I'm not home yet
This is not where I belong
Take this world and give me Jesus

Premium
join:2010-04-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:3
said by Juke Box:

I am looking for the best all-a-round dslr camera that does video very well.

About the only one on the market with a proven track record of doing video really well is the Canon 5D be it a MKI or MKII.

Wayne
--
Madness takes its toll, please have exact change ready…

Juke Box
His Word Never Fails
Premium
Proverbs 3
Wow, that is a pretty hefty investment.
Any thoughts on the Canon T4i w/ a 18-135mm lens or Nikon equivalent of the same price range?

Speedy Petey

join:2008-01-19
said by Juke Box:

Wow, that is a pretty hefty investment.

Well, you specifically asked for the BEST, didn't you?

The 7D and 60D are pretty good runners-up.

Juke Box
His Word Never Fails
Premium
Proverbs 3
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
reply to Juke Box
OK, these are a little out of my price range.

So, what what about the cameras that are in the T4i price range? Would I have to get a external mic? Should I get a particular lens with the camera? Which camera for auto focus?

With the above in mind. How much of an initial investment would be considered reasonable?

Yeah, maybe "Best" was a little over the top for the description.
--

Skipdawg
The Original
Premium,ExMod 2001-03
join:2001-04-19
Mount Vernon, WA
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
·Clear Wireless
reply to Juke Box
Maybe go into more what type of shooting you plan to do and a top price range with all extras considered too.

T4i yes is new. 60D already has a track record. For the bells and whistles a investment into the 7D would be a nice one.

But it can depend on what you are doing. Inside/out both and so forth.

I have the T3i and it dose OK but I don't bother with sound when doing any video. But dose great pics and comfortable to carry for extended periods.

grendal
Mmm Donuts
Premium
join:2001-10-10
Fremont, CA
reply to Juke Box
regardless of brand, keep this in mind

60d/7d/5d mark II/5d mark III -> all manual focus after you begin shooting

T4i continuous auto-focus while shooting.

Some Nikon models have continuous auto-focus.

Keep in mind #2. Max recording time in HD is 12 min clips, can't record continuously beyond that. you have to stop/start after 12 min. However, 98% of the time, this is fine as most video clips you'll shoot are short. If you want to record a long recital for example, you'll have a 1 sec break when you stop/start recording.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1
reply to Juke Box
And with ANY camera especially indoors, if audio is important you will want an external or even wireless mic.

Particularly if the shooting will be hand held, were you will get handling the camera noises.

Plus indoors will be very hollow echo sounding in many cases, with built in mic.
--

Premium
Fort Lauderdale, FL

1 edit
reply to Juke Box
said by Juke Box:

Would I have to get a external mic?

Yes, about the only useful purpose for a HDSLR internal microphone has is to record a scratch track which can be used in post to sync your external audio to.

Keep in mind audio is three fourths of a video, you can produce the worlds finest video but if the audio is crappy no one will watch it for more than a few seconds as doing so is border line painful.

A good beginning microphone would be a short to mid range shotgun which you can plan spending about $300 for, and you will also need a portable recorder and about the minimum for that task is the Tascam DR-40 which runs $200, and you will need a couple of XLR cables so budget $550 for beginning audio setup and if you want to go wireless figure on spending another $200-$600 for a wireless system.

Should I get a particular lens with the camera?

Unless you can give better details what your video aspirations are that’s going to be tough to help you with. You need to determine if you are going to be shooting home movies, run and gun ENG or cine as they all have certain nuances which require different types of glass to achieve.

Which camera for auto focus?

All HDSLR’s have still auto-focus and since you should never use an HDSLR's auto-focus with video that matter is irrelevant.

With the above in mind. How much of an initial investment would be considered reasonable?

Pick a body and with that as a baseline we can go from there.

Wayne
--

Premium
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to grendal
said by grendal:

Keep in mind #2. Max recording time in HD is 12 min clips, can't record continuously beyond that. you have to stop/start after 12 min.

With most of the Canon series that time limit is 29 minutes 59 seconds or 4 gig file size.

Wayne
--

grendal
Mmm Donuts
Premium
Fremont, CA
said by 49528867:

said by grendal:

Keep in mind #2. Max recording time in HD is 12 min clips, can't record continuously beyond that. you have to stop/start after 12 min.

With most of the Canon series that time limit is 29 minutes 59 seconds or 4 gig file size.

Wayne

yes and no, 12 min for HD, 29 min for vga only 640x480. maybe true for P&S but not video capable DSLR.

Continuous Shooting Time
Approx. 12 min. (Full HD); 12 min. (HD); 24 min. (SD)

»www.usa.canon.com/cusa/professio···ications

»www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos7d/19

you can read theories why the 12 min limit for HD here. Basically, FAT32 for 4gb limit or 29 min for EU taxes.

»www.dvxuser.com/V6/archive/index···320.html

Juke Box
His Word Never Fails
Premium
Proverbs 3
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
reply to Juke Box
Thanks a lot All!

I do this from time to time. Jump in with a blanket question and when I should have detailed it out better. My apologies for a lack of forethought.

I can see there are a lot to consider. I do like to get different gadgets and see how they work. For example I got my wife a Nikon S70 when they came out because of the touch screen. It actually takes better pictures via touch screen over using the button. It is a great pocket camera.

I was thinking about camcorders and if practical to get one verses getting a DSLR that shoot video also.

Since it has been mentioned that there are time limits for cameras to shoot video for one reason or another. A Great point I made add. It got me to thinking if I am willing to video shoot stopping and restarting every so often. I see it not being an issue.

I was told that the Canon T4i, although new, does have a better built-in mic than other cameras of the same price range. It was also followed with a mentioning of an external mic would be better.

I am looking for video as a plus per se. Ultimately, pictures would be the primary reason for getting the DSLR. I do use Corel's Paint Shop Pro X4 Ultimate and considering upgrading to X5 Ultimate for editing pictures.

As for the camera, lens. Here is where I am in muddy water when it comes to lenses. I see you can ge the T4i with an 18-55 or 18-135 lens. Is there noticeable differences in both? Should I get both or different lenses altogether?

I live in Charleston, SC and there are a lot of photo opportunities here. Because of weather, I am hoping to see the sunrise from the edge of world, Follow Beach SC tomorrow.

Thanks.
--

nklb
Premium
join:2000-11-17
Ann Arbor, MI
kudos:2
reply to 49528867
said by 49528867:

About the only one on the market with a proven track record of doing video really well is the Canon 5D be it a MKI or MKII.

I think he means MKII or MKIII

The MKI does not support video.

Premium
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to Juke Box
said by Juke Box:

I am looking for video as a plus per se. Ultimately, pictures would be the primary reason for getting the DSLR.

Now based upon what I have read of the specs, the T4i would be a good choice, it provides you with nice solid DSLR platform combined with a decent HDSLR, which looking at it from the video viewpoint provides 60fps, which for general shooting with a large sensor (more than 2/3) gives you the ability to use it both as a camcorder where pan rates are not so critical or drop down to 30 or 24 fps for a more on a tripod cinematic use.

As for audio, Canon’s internal analog front end while better than anything else out there is a slacker when compared to a dedicated audio recorder so putting a “better” microphone in the body is lipstick on a pig.

Wayne
--

Premium
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to nklb
said by nklb:

I think he means MKII or MKIII

The MKI does not support video.

That is quite correct and I need a new pair of glasses...

Wayne
--

grendal
Mmm Donuts
Premium
Fremont, CA
reply to Juke Box
said by Juke Box:

Thanks a lot All!

As for the camera, lens. Here is where I am in muddy water when it comes to lenses. I see you can ge the T4i with an 18-55 or 18-135 lens. Is there noticeable differences in both? Should I get both or different lenses altogether?

Thanks.

If you get the T4i, get the 18-135 that comes with the kit. It's a newer STM lens that *should* be quieter when auto-focusing during video recording. Regular EF lenses will also work but the noise will get picked up when recording (i.e. quick focusing lenses for picture taking tend to be loud). The noise from image stabilization on the 70-200 F4 IS *does* get picked up from the internal mic when recording video (faint but noticable).

You can always get an external mic later if video becomes more important.

I've shot many short video clips of my kids with my 7d and the results were mixed due to the manual focusing (moving kids were hard to focus on, singing recital came out great since they didn't move).

I just recent got a regular camcorder (canon vixia HF M500) to deal with longer recitals (where i don't want to worry about the 12 min limit).

In short, the 7d works great for short/random clip (majority of my video clips) and the dedicated camcorder comes out when I need to record something longer than 20 min (don't mind stop/start once but multiple times is a pain).

shercando
Premium
join:2001-03-05
Madison, WI
reply to Juke Box
Why not look at the world leader in video, --SONY. I don't do video myself but the new Sony SLT A99 has video features that top any Canikon offered.

Premium
Fort Lauderdale, FL
said by shercando:

Why not look at the world leader in video, --SONY. I don't do video myself but the new Sony SLT A99 has video features that top any Canikon offered.

Well glancing through the specs it has two glaring video problems, first is it only has two HD frame rates 60/24 and doesn’t do NTSC unless one drops down to SD.

There is also no mention of being able to control the audio levels through a menu selection, as such I would defer buying one until it is released and has a bit of a track record.

As for being the world leader in video that is really not true as that title is held by Ikegami Electronics.

»www.ikegami.com/product_index.html

Wayne.
--

Juke Box
His Word Never Fails
Premium
Proverbs 3
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
reply to shercando
Well,the A99 will retail around 2800 dollars for the camera only. It is much more than I wanted to fork out. If it wasn't an issue, the Nikon D600 looks great and cost less. I like the WIFI support in it.

I have been looking for the best price for the T4i w/ STM 18-135 lens, preferably a good package deal. I came across a comment about Canon has gone with a one price model. Meaning, the price will be the same no matter where you buy it.
--
I want to finally set it free
So show me how to see what Your mercy sees
Help me now to give what You gave to me
Forgiveness, Forgiveness