rsriram22

join:2006-08-14
Lexington, KY
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·Future Nine Corp..
·localphone.com

[Need Info] cablecard fee breakup with HD service in lexington,k

am planning on getting Digital TV with HD in lexington on a cablecard. can anyone share the 'fee' breakdown that they have with their tv subscription on cablecard

i am assuming it's

$35 (for Digital TV pack, not the choice pack) +
$ 5 (for cablecard fee) +
$5 (HD access fee)

it's almost $45.. and the HD DVR option from insight itself costs $47/month.. Just trying to see if $2 extra is worth it or not..

Too,I am interested in knowing how the self-install works .. I just walk into the palumbo drive office, grab an m-card, go home find a proper outlet (living room/bedroom) and call the CSR to help me activate it by inserting into my HTPC or a tuner? that's it?

thanks

tspencer

join:2002-05-28
Lexington, KY

Re: [Need Info] cablecard fee breakup with HD service in lexingt

I can't be too specific it has been awhile since I have canceled my TV service with Insight. However at the time I cancelled (~May 2012) the cablecard access fees were $1.99 per card. There was no HD access fee. I had Classic (which was the std digitals + HD equivalents).

I almost would have paid Insight $5 a month to keep their horrible dvr boxes out of my house lol.

And Insight is absolutely atrocious at getting cablecards activated. Their CSR's can't tell which way is up but are completely willing to tell you they are experts on the subject. Last time I got a card they would not allow me to self-install. They required a truck roll. However I ended up doing it myself anyways as the techs could never activate them properly. I would always have to spend time myself talking the CSR through the process of fixing it.

Good luck. It's worth it in the end I would say though if the price is right to you.

rsriram22

Lexington, KY
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·Future Nine Corp..
·localphone.com
Thanks for the info.

If I go for their settopbox initially and later switch to the cablecard, i would not be charged any return fee, right?
(i am asking this since i have a truck roll to get the broadband *and* the tv signal from the same socket in my home ie., split the signal from 1 socket) - That way i can selfinstall cablecard down the lane without any issues..

Tivo user

@skofirm.com
Being able to "split" a signal doesn't have much to do with Cablecard. True, you need Internet access to the room where you will have a CableCard enabled device, but that is not your big issue on self-install. I have tried self-install with Insight and the issue is getting the card to "pair" on their network. Inevitably for me it required a truck roll, significant tech time, but success in the end. And worth the trouble. I pay $2 per month for each card. Insight does not charge extra for HD.

If they have worked out the kinks maybe self-install will work for you.

jpatton1979

join:2011-08-10
Lexington, KY
reply to rsriram22
I went to the Palumbo Dr. location to swap out a CableCARD to help me troubleshoot an issue I was having. When I turned in my existing CC they gave me a new CC and instructions that contained an 800 number specific for activating CCs. Keep in mind they won't help you install/configure the CC in your device (TiVo, Ceton, etc). You'll need to contact the device manufacturer for that.

You will need 3 pieces of information when you call to activate, Host ID, Data ID, and a Pair ID (I think those are the names). You may have to have them "hit" the card 2 or 3 times to get all your channels. Once they activate it make sure you get all your SD channels (2-99 or whatever), HD channels (900's), and any Premiums (HBO, Showtime, etc) on both SD and HD.

My current bill is just over $129. The breakdown is something like:

$50 - 10.0 Internet
$16 - HBO
$2 - CableCARD
$55 - Classic Cable
Rest in taxes

Of course this is the non-promo price. Keep in mind that with a CableCARD you lose access to On-Demand content and if you want PPV you'll have to call them to order it for "all devices on the account" (as opposed to ordering using your remote). You'll also need internet access in order to download guide listings so you see what's on and schedule recordings (at least with a HTPC you do, not sure about a TiVo). I think the guide goes out ~12 days or so.

rsriram22

Lexington, KY
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·Future Nine Corp..
·localphone.com
thanks -- that info was really really useful.. all i need to is wait for a good deal on hdhomerun prime .. the last deal was couple of days ago at ~$129..

PPV/OnDemand is not what I need. so that is taken care of.. i have 10meg internet package.. so thats a check.. all i need to be careful is the initial activation portion...

thanks again!

OSUGoose

join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH
It will take at least 2-3 times before they will get it to work. Whatever you do do not leave the screen that gives you the info if you can. Ceton's real nice they have a diag program that will show green checkmarks if ok and red o if not. That will let you know immedely all is good, also u can tune in that diag box and it will show you if they have properly sent your access for it or not. DO NOT HAVE THEM RE-PAIR the card if you dont get channels, they must send a hit, the same one the automated system sends when u callin and it offeres to send a "refresh" command.