Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

Norton 2013 Products Released!

»www.symantec.com/about/news/rele···20905_01 and »betanews.com/2012/09/05/symantec···-suites/

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11

1 recommendation

Awesome!
I'll be monitoring the Norton forums on just how successful this release is.
»community.norton.com/t5/Norton-I···feedback

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN
reply to antdude

After taking some time looking over the Symantec forums... I think I'm going to stick with the previous latest version of NIS 2012. I think NIS 2013 is not quite polished enough to be run on my Windows 7 box. I also see unhappy campers posting at the moment... I'm sure it's to be expected as with any new release. Will wait for an update or two before deploying. Thanks!
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

LoPhatPhuud
Premium,VIP,MVM
join:2002-01-06
Albuquerque, NM
kudos:26

1 recommendation

reply to antdude

I upgraded three computers (Win 7 x32, Win 7 x64, Win XP Pro) on Monday via the 'Check for New Version' option on the tray icon.

Flawless install here with no issues to report on any of them from the new version of NIS.

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN

1 edit

Do you experience a delay of any kind with the Norton system tray icon appearing in Windows? There are many complaining about the time it's taking for the icon to show. It doesn't affect protection as that module is loaded at a much earlier state. However, it gives users a mistaken sense of security as the NIS/NAV icon doesn't appear until much later. I thought I would ask as I have remained with NIS 2012 until some application updates come through Live Update.
»community.norton.com/t5/Norton-I···p/797974
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

LoPhatPhuud
Premium,VIP,MVM
join:2002-01-06
Albuquerque, NM
kudos:26
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to antdude

No difference in Tray Icon loading time for NIS 2013 vs NIS 2012 for any of my computers.

That said, when I startup my computer(s) in the morning, I go off to make coffee, get dressed, etc., then come back and sign on to each computer that was started. Time from startup to logon is at least 5 minutes.

When I sign on, the Norton Tray Icon appears in the same amount of time as before the update.

I'm, not sure that the delay from startup to logon is significant but thought I would mention it.
--
When angry count four; when very angry, swear.
Microsoft MVP/Consumer Security 2005-2011
Gladiator Security Forum

Zupe
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-29
New York, NY
reply to Dustyn

said by Dustyn:

Do you experience a delay of any kind with the Norton system tray icon appearing in Windows? There are many complaining about the time it's taking for the icon to show. It doesn't affect protection as that module is loaded at a much earlier state. However, it gives users a mistaken sense of security as the NIS/NAV icon doesn't appear until much later. I thought I would ask as I have remained with NIS 2012 until some application updates come through Live Update.
»community.norton.com/t5/Norton-I···p/797974

I've been experiencing that issue with NIS 2013 on Windows 7 (64bit). The NIS tray icon takes about a minute longer to load than any of my other tray icons on startup. I had guessed originally that the service that loads the icon might be set to "delayed startup", as that had been the cause of a similar issue with another program, but it doesn't appear to be the case with NIS. As the icon has no effect on protection, it's not a major issue, but it is a bit annoying.
--
Brain: Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?
Pinky: I think so, Brain, but "Snowball for Windows"?

MagMan
Life is simpler when you tell the truth.
Premium
join:2003-10-01
Westlake, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
·AT&T Midwest

1 recommendation

reply to antdude

I upgraded to 2013 when it first came out on a Win7 home premium 64bit laptop and I've had no problems at all.

End of subject for me, good job Norton.
--
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."

DownTheShore
Mr. Putin, meet SEAL Team 6
Premium
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ
kudos:13

1 recommendation

reply to antdude

I've got six days to go on my NIS license, so when I input the new license code (got a copy of NIS2012 on sale at Purplus just for the code) I'll update to 2013.

louist
And So It Goes
Premium
join:2001-12-01
Oakland Gardens, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to Zupe

Have updated 4 of our computers from the 2012 to the 2013 versions. Noted that AFTER successful installations, the first Live updated brings in bot only definitions updates, but a patch that required you to "OPT" to have it installed. Once I did that the load process seems normal and the product is functioning as expected. The 2013 product seems very stable, low resource demands, and proof of pudding, none of these (home machines) have successfully been hit by malware since the Norton 2009 products were installed (updated every year since)
--
regards,

Lou