Search similar:

uniqs
AndrewG2
join:2006-01-20
Niagara Falls, ON

AndrewG2

Bell reseller speed hints?

Hi everyone,

I've just had a DSl connection activated from a Bell reseller. The modem/router is a custom branded unit that seem to be an Aztech DSL1000EW or similar. I think they've got custom firmware in it. Anway, all I can get out of that is it's set to 3Mbit down 768k up at present, and isn't dropping packets, can't seem to find any better stats like noise or signal strength etc. Get about 2.7/640 in throughput, guess that's the overhead.

Anyway, the service is sold as "up to" 5Mbit, I should be within 2500M or so of the DSLAM methinks, that's allowing for zig zagging round every block, line of sight would be like 700m or so.

Kind of a surprise when it was installed, the Bell tech came to hook up a new dry loop to the demarc... so I hooked up the red/green pair in an old 3 wire cable that happened to come near it, and then inside, hooked that to an another old 3 wire run that happened to be near, and go somewhere sorta convenient, and cut back the other end of that to fresh copper and put a socket on it... So it's running on ancient cable, though with fresh connections, it has it all to itself and it's a straight run. All in all it's probably cleaner than the 2 voice extensions in use, and some mystery 3rd one that goes I know not where. Also doesn't seem to cross as much house wiring as if it ran through the voice lines.

I guess I'm asking, is there a way to tell whether I can get 5Mbit or closer to it, and preferably tell me whether I should rewire afresh or not.

What's the typical procedure, you ask tech support to "turn you up"? I am guessing 3Mbit is default???

I see some modems return details of the DSLAM or upstream kit in their stats or diagnostics, I've been through all pages on mine and it's extremely limited. I might try telnetting into it though in case that give me the advanced stuff. I'm wondering about that, because I'm wondering if bell just stuck me on some ancient equipment at the node, since I'm not directly their customer and all.

Anyway, constructive suggestions will be welcomed, I'm hoping to get up to speed on that DSL so I can drop cogeco, but ~2.67 Mbit will be a bit tedious with everyone home and trying to do their stuff.

Andrew
AndrewG2

AndrewG2

So I tried telnet, and got nothing on standard port 23. (Well yah I coulda tried port 1 - 65535 just on the offchance... )

Also tried guessing URLs to advanced config page, like 192.168.2.1/advanced 192.168.2.1/config 192.168.2.1/admin etc etc, no joy, all I can get is the page with "Basic" menu.
lawrenson
join:2012-02-22

lawrenson to AndrewG2

to AndrewG2
If your modem won't show you all of the stats, call your ISP and they should be able to check them.

The default speed is normally whatever you're able to obtain, but your ISP could confirm what you should be able to get as well.
They may even be able to optimize to the best speed with the click of a button (if your ISP doesn't order DLM). Worst case they'd have to open a ticket with Bell to get your speed increased, but it should be a fairly painless process.

Montreal DSL
join:2011-02-02
Montreal-DSL

Montreal DSL to AndrewG2

to AndrewG2
With that speed you may be on a 3M default profile ...Ask your provider to check if you are on the 5M or 6M profile ...if not, if your line supports it, to increase the speed.

On Bell portal for resellers there is a button "optimize speed". It takes 3-4 minutes to have it done if possible